Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Wait for it to grenade and then....?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 09:19 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts

I ponder this question myself so I guess the real issue is - how long does an M96 last?

I have just under 175k on mine and aside from a bit of a leak on the RMS it appears to still be running strong. I have replaced the IMS with the original LN bearing but aside from that I know there are many other causes of death.

On a "regular" car you would continue to run it until oil usage becomes too much or something else goes wrong. But in our cases they literally explode. I guess I'll just continue doing what I'm doing and once it feels like the engine is starting to lose performance start exploring my options.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:04 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 501Max
If you wait until it grenades- you can cost yourself $$$ with other parts that become damaged during grenade event. Those $$$ could have been put towards a solution. My less than .02 worth says give FSI a call about options/facts- Jake and his team are top shelf. Of course- I am a bit biased with the FSI bundle pushing mine around.
I know the PO of my car spent around an extra $3k on replacing damaged parts after the IMSB went. And he had to wait over a year for a rebuilt due to the number of engines ahead of him at FSI. I'm sure having a local shop install The Solution wouldn't take nearly that long, a local "referenced" shop quoted me two months on another car I was looking at. But the engine has to be in acceptable condition to have the work done.

Quick Reply: Wait for it to grenade and then....?????