Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What else to replace while fitting new coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:37 AM
John Yang
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else to replace while fitting new coilovers?

Hi all,

I have just purchased H&R coilovers for my 1998 c2 which I will be looking to fit in the coming weeks.

Question - is there anything that I should replace at the same time? Ie shock mounts etc. I will be paying a workshop to do the work so I need to get all the parts together along with the coilovers.

Thanks.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:50 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Suspension is a slippery slope! At the very least you need to check the top mounts for cracking/tearing in the rubber - replace if necessary. The sketchy thing (not sketchy for ride quality&#128521 about the stock suspension is that it uses rubber in so many places - rubber wears out, dry rots, cracks etc. On a 15-20 year old car there’s a good chance that lots of things need to be replaced. The trick is figuring out which ones matter most and which can wait til the next round of maintenance...
Old 02-21-2018, 07:31 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Agree 100% with dporto. Top mounts are good candidates. I also often use suspension refresh time as an opportunity to replace hardware “while I’m in there”. Top mount nuts, lower nuts/bolts on the rear and drop links in the front. Depending upon how low you go, you may need adjustable drop links, and it is also a good opportunity to consider new (anti) sway bars. Beyond that, there are lots of related suspension bits that should be evaluated for condition and replaced as needed. If you are going low, or planning to track the car, you might need GT3 lower arms to get enough adjustment range.

Last edited by cds72911; 02-21-2018 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:22 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Replace all bushings.

Replace coilover top mounts x4.

Replace roll bar drop links.

Replace brake flex lines.

Consider tie rods and ball joints (ball joints would be included on new lower control arms).

Consider rebuilding brake calipers x4 or installing rebuilt calipers.

Consider wheel bearings x4.

Your car is 20 years old now.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Replace all bushings.

Replace coilover top mounts x4.

Replace roll bar drop links.

Replace brake flex lines.

Consider tie rods and ball joints (ball joints would be included on new lower control arms).

Consider rebuilding brake calipers x4 or installing rebuilt calipers.

Consider wheel bearings x4.

Your car is 20 years old now.
^^That's^^ easily a $10k bill right there...While it's certainly possible that all those things will "need" to be done at some point. I highly doubt that they have to be done at the same time. My rec. would be to determine/identify the most important things and prioritize their replacement/refurbishment on a maintenance timeline.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
^^That's^^ easily a $10k bill right there....
Not really, and especially not if you don't use the parts in a porsche box.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:17 AM
John Yang
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow so much to consider. Might need to get it up on a hoist first to check it out and do only what is 100% necessary...
Old 02-22-2018, 07:52 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Just do droplinks top mounts and coffin arms all reasonably cheap for the meyle ones on eBay
Old 02-22-2018, 08:16 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

^^That's^^ easily a $10k bill right there...While it's certainly possible that all those things will "need" to be done at some point. I highly doubt that they have to be done at the same time. My rec. would be to determine/identify the most important things and prioritize their replacement/refurbishment on a maintenance timeline.
I just did almost all of those items this winter and my parts bill was under $5K including coilovers. I did do the work myself however so aside from alignment and corner balance that I had done at the end I had no labor costs. I agree on "need" of course check those items for wear before deciding to replace. Some of the rubber items however are tough to "check"....I think you have to assume they are perished simply due to age. If the car sees light street use then probably not as important to replace than if the car sees track use.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:10 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

I would definetly do bushings. And watch this.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:22 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Not really, and especially not if you don't use the parts in a porsche box.
The OP mentions that he already got the H&R street performance coilovers - approx $2k right there. Even using 3rd party parts it'll be pretty easy to get to $5k if you start replacing things ***** nilly... Factor in the fact that he's going to have a shop do the work, I'd be willing to bet that he'll get pretty close to $10k including labor when all is said and done... Who knows what else they'll find/break once they get in there...
Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The top mounts are usually torn , any worn bushes , and depending on how low you go , you might need to add add adjustable drop links and rear toe arms .
i would think that would be the minimum you could get away with .

consider doing every bush . I did , and I decided the street powerflex bushes were the way to go , my reasoning was that besides the extra performance , they last 5x as long . These cars have complex multilink suspension , bushes are critical
Old 02-22-2018, 01:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

The OP mentions that he already got the H&R street performance coilovers - approx $2k right there. Even using 3rd party parts it'll be pretty easy to get to $5k if you start replacing things ***** nilly... Factor in the fact that he's going to have a shop do the work, I'd be willing to bet that he'll get pretty close to $10k including labor when all is said and done... Who knows what else they'll find/break once they get in there...
yeah, still no.
Even replacing all the coffin arms, track rods, and dog bones, along with tie rods, using Meyle, TRW, and Lemforeder parts, the total cost should be under $1500 for parts. Add in the $2k for coilovers, and you end up with $3,500. labor for this should not exceed $2500.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:59 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Here's a spreadsheet I made a while back on costs for parts from various suppliers.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I didn't replace all these parts, though my suspension is a bit clunky so I should probably revisit it.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:34 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

^ That is seriously cool. Thanks for putting the work in, I added it to my drive.

Quick Reply: What else to replace while fitting new coilovers?