Sponsored by:

Rotors / pads question

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 09:43 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

No problem.

Be sure to change the pad wear indicators at the same time you do the pads and rotors.

Shop around for pads and rotors, you can find good prices at dealers like Suncoast or Sunset. I get good prices from Scottsdale (PCA member discount). Pelican and others.

Zimmerman is a good rotor, I like my Stoptechs. My mechanic likes Textar.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:56 PM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks. I was hoping to buy Pagids as they're really cheap on Pelican (and I've always believed pads are far more important than rotors, which are usually just steel discs that "work"), but I've been seeing some really awful forum feedback on Pagids. I guess, also, since I'd be getting drilled or slotted or something rotors, it's no longer just a question of "it's a rotating piece of metal" but I actually need some qualify behind it. (I'm not worried about warping, as tracking isn't in the cards for another year or two, so probably the life of these rotors).
Old 02-15-2018, 11:15 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

If you aren't tracking then Meyle rotors on eBay are the ticket. You can pick them up for around $100 a pair, right JayG?

Also, if you aren't tracking, Pagids are pretty much a waste of money. Throw a WTB ad on the classified and you will get plenty of responses for used pads. I have lots of them but they are all either stock or track pads. Nothing in between.

As for pad wear, I'll usually take them down to 1mm of compound left before changing them. Trackpads especially will start cracking at that point and you know they are done.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:16 PM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Originally Posted by Slakker
If you aren't tracking then Meyle rotors on eBay are the ticket. You can pick them up for around $100 a pair, right JayG?

Also, if you aren't tracking, Pagids are pretty much a waste of money. Throw a WTB ad on the classified and you will get plenty of responses for used pads. I have lots of them but they are all either stock or track pads. Nothing in between.

As for pad wear, I'll usually take them down to 1mm of compound left before changing them. Trackpads especially will start cracking at that point and you know they are done.
Cool. That's great advice. Thanks!

Incidentally, if you have any "lightly" used stock pads, I'd be more than interested
Old 02-16-2018, 08:57 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Let me look around this weekend.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:27 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakker

As for pad wear, I'll usually take them down to 1mm of compound left before changing them. Trackpads especially will start cracking at that point and you know they are done."

I'm in the process of doing my brakes now. I got this kit from "New parts" via Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...4383.l4275.c10
They are Meyle rotors (cross drilled). I can't comment on the pads (ceramic hybrid low dust) yet as I haven't driven with them. I'll update when I get 'er back on the road. I've also got to do the e-brake cables and shoes which I'm still waiting on from Auto Atlanta so it may be awhile... Street use only for me...
Old 02-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Please post back when you try the pads. That's pretty cheap, curious what the set works out to be like.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:41 PM
mattie_k
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I just installed Pagid rotors in all 4 corners. Got them super cheap from rock auto. Ya I read some mixed reviews on the interwebs but figured give them a shot and if they don't work out get some Zimmerman or Brembos.

Quick Reply: Rotors / pads question