996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche remanufactured short blocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 07:50 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Hmmm... I'm looking for a second engine that I can put in a corner of my shop wrapped in plastic. This seems like a good option for a reman shortblock. When I bought my car last week it came with receipts from the seller showing a full "engine out" complete IMS replacement, along with a new upgraded clutch kit. At 64K miles (at the time) I'd hope I have plenty of time before needing one, but I also don't want to not have one available if I need it down the road either.

Subscribed!
Old 02-11-2018, 08:59 AM
Jnelso
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Mikelly,

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing even though my 1999 already has factory reman with the larger non servicable IMS bearing and low mileage. I guess like many of us, we love our "forever" 996's.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:37 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Just curious, is there a warranty with these short blocks?
Old 02-11-2018, 04:42 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Subscribed, IMS kits from Porsche, reasonable short blocks, whats next?!

What an age for the 996
Old 02-11-2018, 07:46 PM
laphan
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Just curious, is there a warranty with these short blocks?
From Porsche:
  • Genuine Porsche Parts - Come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. All warranty claims must be processed in person at your nearest Porsche Service Center, then inspected on the vehicle by a factory trained Porsche technician. If approved, installation (but not diagnosis) of the replacement part is typically covered.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:54 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Does anyone know for sure what exactly the short block contains? I’m going to contact AutoAtlanta tomorrow to find out, as I think their website is confusing at best, and possibly misleading. The picture of the short block appears to me to show only half an engine case. I’m wondering if you need to buy 2 half’s to get a true short block. Also it’s unclear to me if a crankshaft is included.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:21 PM
roadblock
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Does anyone know for sure what exactly the short block contains? I’m going to contact AutoAtlanta tomorrow to find out, as I think their website is confusing at best, and possibly misleading. The picture of the short block appears to me to show only half an engine case. I’m wondering if you need to buy 2 half’s to get a true short block. Also it’s unclear to me if a crankshaft is included.
A short block includes crank rods pistons all assembled add heads cams on and on -core charge is 3 K by the time it's a long block that's a 24 k build - it's a 9K plus shipping for short block - A 750 hp Chev 454 with everything is about 14K - all in all 9 grand sounds special for half a motor - I will sleeve what I have put Carrillo rods in it and beef up heads, cams and have fun doing that! Yes it's like finding hens teeth or is it Hmmm ?
Old 02-11-2018, 08:28 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,320 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc
From Auto Atlanta, this page shows the short block as having cases, crank, pistons, rods, timing chains, oil pump, ect, the things you would expect from a "short block". the price list. 47k for "new" plug and play engine. 23k for "new" short block, and 6k for "reman" short block. (note ; no "reman" long block or complete engine available.
Edit : that page does still show one variant of the engines (m96.02 3.4) as being availible in a complete plug and play "reman" engine for 11k) you can distinguish the "reman" engines by the part number ending in "X"/

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/hardparts.php?dir=996-99-05&section=101-00&pn=996100996UX#a
Old 02-11-2018, 09:16 PM
Dan951Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a factory "reman" shortblock for my 2003 3.6. It comes with a lot of parts that you would want to replace in a rebuild.
One thing to note: The block was beautiful, brand new... But the coolant housing that came on it looked oxidized, like it had been sitting on a shelf for a long time. Later on, when I was looking into an unstable oil pressure that ended up being the sender, I pulled out the oil pressure relief piston- it had very peculiar wear like it had been chattering, and had substantial pitting in the exact shape of the passage in the oil pump (where it would be exposed to air).
I replaced it, but am going to pull the pump and look for further signs of corrosion eventually. I worry the steel pump gears will be pitted in the same fashion.
If I were to do it again, I would FOR SURE pull off the oil pump on the brand new short block and confirm conditions before assembly.
Everything else including the price is fantastic- newest factory ims design
Old 02-12-2018, 12:10 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Dan951 mind sharing how much you paid? was it as advertised on autoatlanta?
This is all good news. Kind of changes the game for 996 NA imo. Not that it matters to me. I'm in for better or for worse
Old 02-12-2018, 12:42 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
From Auto Atlanta, this page shows the short block as having cases, crank, pistons, rods, timing chains, oil pump, ect, the things you would expect from a "short block". the price list. 47k for "new" plug and play engine. 23k for "new" short block, and 6k for "reman" short block. (note ; no "reman" long block or complete engine available.
Edit : that page does still show one variant of the engines (m96.02 3.4) as being availible in a complete plug and play "reman" engine for 11k) you can distinguish the "reman" engines by the part number ending in "X"/

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...=996100996UX#a
So for clarity.
It is not a new short block for $6500, it is remanufactured .
So I wonder if warranty is same for remanufactured as it is new?
Either way, I don't think I would have spent the money for LN Single Pro on my 60,000 mile 3.6, that showed no signs of IMS or RMS issues. If I knew this was an option, instead of all information claiming $24k
After tear down, the IMS was perfect.

I
Old 02-12-2018, 01:07 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Be glad it was , If the ims wasn't perfect , you'd be needing one of those blocks .

having a background in mechanical engineering with aviation and heavy mining equipment experience . There are many components you change when they hit the time and hours numbers . "Run to failure " just isn't a part of the ethos .

its through that lens I view this bearing .

i changed mine with only 35,000 miles on the car . The bearing was in such good shape the seal was still intact with grease in it . No regrets .
i changed the rms, flywheel and clutch at the same time . They looked good .

coming off Italian cars and motorcycles , none of this seems that bad.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:13 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

Isn't the incidence of bore score/ovaling more prevalent than IMS failure? If so, then how does a re-manufactured short block address these issues?
Old 02-12-2018, 01:23 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That’s a good question , and one reason the nikkies from l&n /rnd or hartechs similar liners are attractive . It’s worth investigating what Porsche reman use
Old 02-12-2018, 02:16 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
So for clarity.
It is not a new short block for $6500, it is remanufactured .
So I wonder if warranty is same for remanufactured as it is new?
Either way, I don't think I would have spent the money for LN Single Pro on my 60,000 mile 3.6, that showed no signs of IMS or RMS issues. If I knew this was an option, instead of all information claiming $24k
After tear down, the IMS was perfect.

I
Yeah not sure how you can 're manufacture' a block that is not designed to be refurbished. There is no way to bore/sleeve the cylinders, even honing them is difficult and a special job due to the material.

Seems kinda fishy

Quick Reply: Porsche remanufactured short blocks