Sponsored by:

oil cooler removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 01:18 AM
Carlo D
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
Default oil cooler removal

Engine oil and coolant are completely drained out before the procedure. I just removed my oil cooler and then found that coolant and oil both came out of the cooler itself. Of course this got me concerned as the oil and coolant holes are directly underneath (top of engine).
Upon reviewing at least two how-to videos (including fcpeuro’s) there was no care in coolant going into the oil hole and vice-versa as the cooler was lifted off. Should I refill with fresh oil and then drain to flush out any possible coolant contaminant before ending with another fresh fill? Similarly with the coolant by flushing with distilled water only before
ending with fresh fill?

Last edited by Carlo D; 12-29-2023 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:53 AM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 184 Posts

Distilled water won't rinse any oil out. If anything, add dish washing liquid to it so the oil is caught.

But personally, I wouldn't worry about it, if the amount is of the 'oh bugger, it's still full, pull it away quickly'-sort.
The water content in the coolant spilled into the oil passage will be boiled off and the remaining glycol and additives flushed out at the next oil change without killing the lubricating qualities of the oil in the meantime, I would think.
Any oil spilled into the coolant passage will be dispersed in about 12l of coolant. That is probably the same amount that an M96 which suffered intermix ends up, with after 3x flushing the coolant system and is then deemed clean enough to fill it with coolant to operate the engine.
No personal experience, just thinking it through.
YMMV etc.
Old 12-29-2023, 12:34 PM
Carlo D
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

yup.
with a handy mirror i didn't see any visible contaminants inside the holes.
for good measure i vacuumed out the coolant and oil holes using a skinny tubbing all the way to the bottom.
sucked out remaining coolants from coolant hole and nothing in the oil hole.
all good

anyone know dimension of the coolant hose? psi rating?
see if i can just get one from napa.

Last edited by Carlo D; 12-29-2023 at 12:51 PM.

Quick Reply: oil cooler removal