Porsche remanufactured short blocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,320 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
So for clarity.
It is not a new short block for $6500, it is remanufactured .
So I wonder if warranty is same for remanufactured as it is new?
Either way, I don't think I would have spent the money for LN Single Pro on my 60,000 mile 3.6, that showed no signs of IMS or RMS issues. If I knew this was an option, instead of all information claiming $24k
After tear down, the IMS was perfect.

I
Yes, the warranty would be the same 2 year unlimited mileage. It's still considered a Genuine Porsche Part.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Yeah not sure how you can 're manufacture' a block that is not designed to be refurbished. There is no way to bore/sleeve the cylinders, even honing them is difficult and a special job due to the material.

Seems kinda fishy
new sleeves / liners is basically what l&n does with their nikasil reman cases
Old 02-12-2018, 03:38 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Here is hartech’s approach http://www.hartech.org/cylinder-liners
Old 02-12-2018, 03:44 PM
The Radium King
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

presume porsche only remans when block is within certain tolerances. re bore scoring vs ims, i think depends on the year; bore scoring only showed up in the 3.6 engines due to increased stroke putting greater lateral force on lokasil liners. also, remans all come w the larger 2005+ ims bearing which has a much lower failure rate (not sure if that was stated earlier in the thread).

Last edited by The Radium King; 02-12-2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: changed my loka/alu-sils - they tend to confuse me ...
Old 02-12-2018, 03:45 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Good luck getting answers from AutoAtlanta. I contacted them this morning. First they told me the short engine included block and heads. I knew this could not be true. Then they told me the only stock was in Germany and couldn’t tell me the lead time,and they were special order. I asked about a core charge, again they didn’t know. I asked them to email me some answers, and to their credit, they did. Oh, by the way, the price is now $7896.35 with a $3000 core charge. No info about lead time.
Im quite sure they have no clue about how the cylinders are “remanufactured”, or any other parts for that matter. Also, no details of what constitutes an acceptable core.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Radium King
presume porsche only remans when block is within certain tolerances. re bore scoring vs ims, i think depends on the year; bore scoring only showed up in the 3.6 engines due to increased stroke putting greater lateral force on alusil liners. also, remans all come w the larger 2005+ ims bearing which has a much lower failure rate (not sure if that was stated earlier in the thread).
all m96& 97 motors are at risk for bore scoring , even 2.5 boxsters , it’s pretty commonly seen in cold environments , just ask any boxster or 911 owner in Edmonton
Old 02-12-2018, 05:22 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver996

new sleeves / liners is basically what l&n does with their nikasil reman cases
Porsche can't do aftermarket solutions, their cylinders are cast with the block and integral. Once the block is used there is no way to keep the block 'porsche' and replace liners and honing/boring is not trivial on these blocks. They already suffer ovalizing problems, boring would only make it worse.

Aftermarket solutions to a problem are very different than an approved OEM solution.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:47 PM
The Radium King
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver996

all m96& 97 motors are at risk for bore scoring , even 2.5 boxsters , it’s pretty commonly seen in cold environments , just ask any boxster or 911 owner in Edmonton
sure, all engines are at risk of all modes of failure; it's more an issue of probability. i've read of the relationship between cold start and scoring, but yet to see any definitive proof of the correlation. the best analysis i've seen is from hartech, which ties it to the stroke change (and lokasil). for what it's worth, i live north of edmonton and have been looking for a 996 with a failed engine for quite a while - no luck.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:27 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Porsche can't do aftermarket solutions, their cylinders are cast with the block and integral. Once the block is used there is no way to keep the block 'porsche' and replace liners and honing/boring is not trivial on these blocks. They already suffer ovalizing problems, boring would only make it worse.

Aftermarket solutions to a problem are very different than an approved OEM solution.
the factory must be doing something with these reman blocks . Since we don’t know what they are doing , you can’t rule out a resleeve . They’ve done this with other oem reman engines . They could even sub out the work . No shortage of engineering shops in Europe that could do this work

given that Porsche is strategically placing “Porsche classic “ certified dealerships around the world that can handle everything from 356s to 991s it’s not surprising they have started offering reman short blocks for the 996
Old 02-12-2018, 07:56 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

My question here might offend some folks, but I have been in this game long enough to know there are a lot of opinions and far fewer first hand experienced people. WHO here has bought a reman block from PCNA? Who has had LNEngineering or some other company do a block for them? These are the people I want to hear from.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:25 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by The Radium King
presume porsche only remans when block is within certain tolerances. re bore scoring vs ims, i think depends on the year; bore scoring only showed up in the 3.6 engines due to increased stroke putting greater lateral force on lokasil liners. also, remans all come w the larger 2005+ ims bearing which has a much lower failure rate (not sure if that was stated earlier in the thread).
How is the new bearing that is larger , installed in the new block halves, it must have some pretty serious machine work.

Who in thier right mind would install new pistons in cylinders that were not bored out or sleeved?

Am I off base for thinking they may use used pistons, if they are not concerned with bore wear, and just hone them?

More questions now, than before?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:08 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for anyone with bore scoring steel sleeves are half the price of nikasil.. and everyone and their mother uses them on every other platform..i agree aluminium with nikasil runs cooler.. but all high milage engines run steel for anywhere from 200 to 300k miles no problems..
Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

I have built a couple of engines using the LN Nickies, and have installed quite a number of Factory reman engines.

I can say that I can't tell the Factory reman engine from a new engine on the outside, except for the serial number having a AT stamped into it. IE M96/01ATxxx......... It would not surprise if the engines were in fact "new" just sold under "remain" pricing to get the cores. Many OEM manufactures have used this technique to get supplies of cores to start their "reman" operation or when they have ran out of cores. I remember that during this time the "core charge" was more than the cost of the reman engine to ensure that they got the core back.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:22 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coopduc
Good luck getting answers from AutoAtlanta. I contacted them this morning. First they told me the short engine included block and heads. I knew this could not be true. Then they told me the only stock was in Germany and couldn’t tell me the lead time,and they were special order. I asked about a core charge, again they didn’t know. I asked them to email me some answers, and to their credit, they did. Oh, by the way, the price is now $7896.35 with a $3000 core charge. No info about lead time.
Im quite sure they have no clue about how the cylinders are “remanufactured”, or any other parts for that matter. Also, no details of what constitutes an acceptable core.
I see on their page where the 3.4 price is $7896, but I also see that the 3.4 X51 short block (which was not available in the US except in dealer installed kit form) is available for $6305 !! part number 996100951TX

Also to my knowledge acceptable damage would be worn bearings/crank , worn pstons/cylinders, bent valves, worn gears,ect. Unacceptable damage would be rod thrown through block, busted due to wreck damage, dropped valve causing busted block, ect.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

FYI, from the 2018 PCA Club Racing Rules - Appendix F - Approved Aftermarket Parts

"996 short blocks:
The 3.4 liter 996 may use the X51 short block, part number 996.100.951.TX. The 3.6 liter 996 may use the X51 short block, part number 996 .100.996.X"

Quick Reply: Porsche remanufactured short blocks