Sponsored by:

My roller

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 05:49 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
i discovered nitrile gloves after seeing the YouTube mechanics wearing them and they are the bomb!
Yep I used to hate gloves till I bought the real ones mechanics wear. I won't touch a car without them now.

-Jason
Old 04-13-2018, 07:53 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Same. I use 8mil and they are tough as skin. I've had some 9mil I liked but they were black. The colors let me see if my gloves are dirty when working on the interior.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:02 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I always seem to start out each job with 5mil nitrile gloves, but as soon as I need to “feel” the threads of a bolt, I take them off and they stay off the rest of the job.
I was just diagnosed with bladder cancer. (and I’m recovering from surgery)
One cause is workplace chemical exposure.
I’m guessing it could be from my professional wrenching years ago, or my current DIY wrenching.
I’ve promised my wife I’ll try to use nitrile gloves more.
I only started using nitrile gloves about a year or so ago.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:37 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Friday the 13th strikes again. I decided to be proactive and send my fuel injectors out the be cleaned and tested prior to installation. I chose Whitchhunter Preformance, based on customer feedback. I packaged them up exactly per Whitchhunter’s instructions, clean, wrapped in paper towels, and in a zip lock bag. Put everything in a USPS flat rate box along with extra bubble wrap and the required paperwork. This afternoon I got a call from Whitchhunter, the box was delivered but no injectors were inside! Interestingly, the bubble wrap and paperwork was still there. They promised pictures of the box as received, but I don’t see any way to recover the injectors. Of course, I didn’t purchase the extra insurance. Lesson learned. I almost fell over when I checked the price of new parts! Even rebuilt ones are high without cores to return.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:50 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by Coopduc;1494115[left
Friday the 13th strikes again. I decided to be proactive and send my fuel injectors out the be cleaned and tested prior to installation. I chose Whitchhunter Preformance, based on customer feedback. I packaged them up exactly per Whitchhunter’s instructions, clean, wrapped in paper towels, and in a zip lock bag. Put everything in a USPS flat rate box along with extra bubble wrap and the required paperwork. This afternoon I got a call from Whitchhunter, the box was delivered but no injectors were inside! Interestingly, the bubble wrap and paperwork was still there. They promised pictures of the box as received, but I don’t see any way to recover the injectors. Of course, I didn’t purchase the extra insurance. Lesson learned. I almost fell over when I checked the price of new parts! Even rebuilt ones are high without cores to return.[/left]
I "think" I have 3 extra sets -1 in my basement. I will check this weekend and see if I can put my hands on them, they are in different boxes in no particular order. I only need one extra set for an extra engine rebuild on a stand ,that I am half way finished, but in no particular hurry to finish.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:08 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I was just diagnosed with bladder cancer. (and I’m recovering from surgery)
One cause is workplace chemical exposure.
I’m guessing it could be from my professional wrenching years ago, or my current DIY wrenching.
Thanks for sharing that. It’s something I need to be a lot more mindful of.

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
I "think" I have 3 extra sets -1 in my basement. I will check this weekend and see if I can put my hands on them, they are in different boxes in no particular order. I only need one extra set for an extra engine rebuild on a stand ,that I am half way finished, but in no particular hurry to finish.
That’s awesome!
Old 04-15-2018, 10:27 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Who steals injectors?
Old 04-15-2018, 11:03 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Eeeep, that's scary. Sorry to hear
Old 04-15-2018, 11:49 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,709 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
Who steals injectors?
most companies that ship the dodge common rail injectors do so unlabled. At 2-3k for remans, its tempting for a $15 per hour delivery driver. I suspect in this case its our substellar postal service just trashing a package.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:01 AM
jayson
Racer

Received 422 Likes on 115 Posts

Bump for updates!
Old 05-10-2018, 11:55 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Lack of updates indicates lack of progress. ☹️
I filed a claim with the USPS, they kindly sent me a check for $50...lesson learned. I was able to find replacements on eBay.
Regarding the engine build, for the last 4 weeks I’ve been waiting for misc small items to arrive. The most significant are 2 heat shields as shown in red in the pic. I noted they were not present when I disassembled the heads, but forgot to order earlier. Of course they were back ordered from Germany. Good news is they will be delivered next week. I don’t know if the original engine failure digested these parts or if some hack shop omitted them during a service. My guess is the latter, based on P.O. comments about the shop that did the original head swap.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:13 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Ooops, I got busy and forgot to look for those injectors in my basement, Sorry. glad you found some !!
Old 05-16-2018, 07:36 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Finally my parts arrived!

I thought these were heat shields, but Bentley calls them oil baffles.

Whatever, they were installed about 2 minutes after they arrived.

Next was the lifter housing and lifters.

Old chain pads, in foreground, were in bad shape, so I installed new ones. Not sure why the color difference, new ones are genuine Porsche parts.

Pre-assembled cams, timing chain, and solenoids.

Bank 1 Cams installed.

Timing chain sprocket torqued.

Bank1 buttoned up! I’ll do bank 2 tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:52 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Sure glad I found this post. Pm'd you about it and looking forward to the outcome!
Thought I had the only "My Roller" thread...
Old 05-30-2018, 01:18 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

I’ve made great progress since my last post. Here you can see I’m in the final stage of engine assembly before it goes back in the car. All has gone smoothly until I try to install the engine support plate. There is an interference with an oil pump bolt that did not exist before. I’m trying to figure out if Porsche made a design change that affects this area and I can grind a relief cut into the plate to create clearance. Looks like it needs about 10-13mm half moon cut to clear. Here are some pics.

Quick Reply: My roller