Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster LCD Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 03:09 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster LCD Repair

Anybody have experience with this? My clock and oil level LCD got some spidery lines in it when it was exposed to very cold weather.

It seems I have a few options:

1) Wait for warm weather (I'm in PA) and see if it fixes itself; I've seen some posts where people said it got better in high heat but I doubt it. I had the IC in my house at ~69 degrees for a week and it didn't improve much so I doubt it's going to fix itself. But, it's free to wait so I'll do that for now.
2) Send it to a repair house to have it fixed. I've worked with several of these in the past, but mostly on Audi stuff with different display types; anybody have a favorite for 996 IC repair? I've gotten a couple quotes of very different dollar values.
3) Buy aftermarket LCD screen(s) online and solder them on myself. I have the tools and skills to do this, but am concerned about quality. Anybody have experience with doing this? If you replaced just one, did the color and contrast match the existing 2 well enough or did you need to replace all 3?
Old 02-04-2018, 02:26 AM
kderry
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are thermal bonded, not soldered.
Here is a repair write up: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-proje...re-2000-a.html
Old 02-04-2018, 09:28 AM
dukestreet
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have the same issue with my center LCD. Sending mine to: http://www.bestpixelrepair.com/84-po...repair-service
They also have an ebay store which has link with exactly how to remove cluster, what to send to them and how you get it back. I confirmed yesterday for the price, they replace all three LCD's not just the bad one while they have it which reduces future failures. Great deal and EZ with a 1 year warranty. Can't do that myself lol.

Here's the Ebay Link: PORSCHE 996 911 986 BOXTER INSTRUMENT CLUSTER LCD DISPLAY PIXEL REPAIR SERVICE http://r.ebay.com/yA5XkN
Old 02-04-2018, 12:08 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by kderry
They are thermal bonded, not soldered.
Here is a repair write up: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-proje...re-2000-a.html
Isn't it odd that the after photo there has blue LCDs?
Old 02-04-2018, 12:11 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by dukestreet
I have the same issue with my center LCD. Sending mine to: http://www.bestpixelrepair.com/84-po...repair-service
They also have an ebay store which has link with exactly how to remove cluster, what to send to them and how you get it back. I confirmed yesterday for the price, they replace all three LCD's not just the bad one while they have it which reduces future failures. Great deal and EZ with a 1 year warranty. Can't do that myself lol.

Here's the Ebay Link: PORSCHE 996 911 986 BOXTER INSTRUMENT CLUSTER LCD DISPLAY PIXEL REPAIR SERVICE http://r.ebay.com/yA5XkN
Can you post "after" photos of yours on this thread when it's done so we can see how it turns out? Thanks!
Old 02-04-2018, 12:28 PM
dukestreet
Rennlist Member

Will Do.. Will be a few weeks. I just dropped it off to detail shop this week for paint correction and ceramic coating resulting from the ole $200 Porsche Dealer "detail" leaving swirl mark heaven.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:32 PM
kderry
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkraige
Isn't it odd that the after photo there has blue LCDs?
No. The color of the illumination is a result of bulb color and has nothing to do with the LCD panels. In this case, the back lights are blue LEDs, not orange incandescent bulbs.
This fact would have been evident had you clicked the link to the LCDs or comprehended that the repair involved replacing only one LCD.

I think you'd better leave this one to the professionals.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:40 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by kderry

I think you'd better leave this one to the professionals.
Thanks for that extremely helpful and necessary comment.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:14 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by dukestreet
Will Do.. Will be a few weeks. I just dropped it off to detail shop this week for paint correction and ceramic coating resulting from the ole $200 Porsche Dealer "detail" leaving swirl mark heaven.
Did you have success using this repair service?
Old 04-02-2018, 09:20 PM
dukestreet
Rennlist Member

Did you have success using this repair service?
I haven't had time to pull the dash apart yet. Bought Fabspeed tips and cold air kit instead but will do it once it spreads and I can no longer see the digits.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:12 AM
dkraige
Pro

Update: This has FIXED ITSELF. Very gradually over the course of 5 months. I noticed that every time I drove the car, the distorted areas would get slightly smaller during the drive. Every time I would start the car in the morning it would look quite bad, but if I would drive it for a while they would all shrink. Also if the car was parked outside on a warm, sunny day, they would shrink. If the car was DRIVEN on a warm sunny day, maximum shrinkage would occur. The longer the drive, the more the shrinkage. Then when I would park the car overnight, they would disappointingly grow back to nearly their original size. However, IF any little "spot" ever shrunk all the way down to zero, it was gone for good. So it's been this extremely gradual process of driving the car, watching a "spot" shrink from 100% size to something significantly smaller while driving, and then be back to 90% size the next time I start it. Slow, tiny gains. Occasionally a "spot" would get all the way down to 0 and it would not return on the next drive. This of course is a very exciting event when a spot gets totally "repaired" haha. This weekend on the way home from a DE at Watkins Glen the last few spots FINALLY reduced to zero, and when I fired the car up this morning there was no hint of any junk in the screen.

So I guess if you see this, I'd recommend just trying to drive your car on some sunny days, and/or leave it parked outside and just be patient. It might go away on its own. And to prevent this, DON'T let your car be exposed to very low (single-digit F) temperatures for extended periods of time.

Problem "solved", $0 spent. Success.

Last edited by dkraige; 01-24-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:02 PM
bkrogers
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time post, but had very good experience with "Best Pixel Repair " Round Lake,IL. Fixed My 996 instrument cluster Odometer and some ribbon cable issues and wooks like new, Juri is great to work with. Even sent pictures with arrow of the issues.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:02 PM
pinkkot
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Update: This has FIXED ITSELF. Very gradually over the course of 5 months. I noticed that every time I drove the car, the distorted areas would get slightly smaller during the drive. Every time I would start the car in the morning it would look quite bad, but if I would drive it for a while they would all shrink. Also if the car was parked outside on a warm, sunny day, they would shrink. If the car was DRIVEN on a warm sunny day, maximum shrinkage would occur. The longer the drive, the more the shinkage. Then when I would park the car overnight, they would disappointingly grow back to nearly their original size. However, IF any little "spot" ever shrunk all the way down to zero, it was gone for good. So it's been this extremely gradual process of driving the car, watching a "spot" shrink from 100% size to something significantly smaller while driving, and then be back to 90% size the next time I start it. Slow, tiny gains. Occasionally a "spot" would get all the way down to 0 and it would not return on the next drive. This of course is a very exciting event when a spot gets totally "repaired" haha. This weekend on the way home from a DE at Watkins Glen the last few spots FINALLY reduced to zero, and when I fired the car up this morning there was no hint of any junk in the screen.

So I guess if you see this, I'd recommend just trying to drive your car on some sunny days, and/or leave it parked outside and just be patient. It might go away on its own. And to prevent this, DON'T let your car be exposed to very low (single-digit F) temperatures for extended periods of time.

Problem "solved", $0 spent. Success.
Hello I'm currently experiencing a cluster fault into the middle display of my Porsche 911/997.1 - Carrera S - It shows a small amount of spots “dead pixels” into the meddle RPM gauge.
The replacement of the display is quite difficult due to the unavailability of the spare part.
I would like to confirm that actually with higher external temperature (summer) the phenomenon can re-enter until it disappears altogether (fixed itself)

Cluster display of my car at the time

I would like to know more details about the case that concerns you.

I'm glad to hear you
Bye
Andrea
Old 06-26-2018, 03:02 PM
dkraige
Pro

Originally Posted by pinkkot
Hello I'm currently experiencing a cluster fault into the middle display of my Porsche 911/997.1 - Carrera S - It shows a small amount of spots “dead pixels” into the meddle RPM gauge.
The replacement of the display is quite difficult due to the unavailability of the spare part.
I would like to confirm that actually with higher external temperature (summer) the phenomenon can re-enter until it disappears altogether (fixed itself)
I would like to know more details about the case that concerns you.
I'm glad to hear you
Bye
Andrea
Andrea-

Did your issue start when the car was exposed to extremely cold weather? That's when mine showed up, and then it gradually improved with driving in hot weather until it totally cured itself. If yours started during very cold weather, I would wait and see if it improves in warm weather. If not, it might be something else causing it and I'd have less hope that it's going to fix itself. I'll report back next winter about how mine is going. I ended up having my car at a Central PA dealership for repairs in December, and that's when it was exposed to extreme cold (like single-digit Fahrenheit). Normally I keep the car garaged in the winter and only drive it on decent days, so it doesn't see much below freezing. This winter I will strive to keep it from going much below freezing and see if this issue comes back. Fingers crossed!
Old 06-26-2018, 03:44 PM
pinkkot
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't know the origin of issue because mine is second used car. Now wethear is nice but i drive the car rarely. I will see later in holiday days with temperatures much higher. I hope to be lucky like you.

Anyway can you give me a link where buying the display?
Good luck.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster LCD Repair