Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PPI with compression & leak-down testing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 03:22 AM
ApacheChef
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PPI with compression & leak-down testing?

I'm considering a '02 C4S that now has about 108500 miles on her. This is the same car that Rennlister ZRoadhouse owned and posted about for a few years after buying it from RocC4S over at 6SpeedOnline. It's still a nice looking car with all the mods (minus the black wheels) that were there in 2009. The car has my interest just as it did in 2014 when it was last for sale so I'm strongly considering coordinating a PPI with the seller.

I took her for a drive yesterday evening and to me, everything sounded good, smooth idle, nothing gave me cause for concern. I listened for taps and knocks from the engine and there just weren't any discernable noises to my untrained ear.

One of the shops I called today about a PPI asked a couple of questions that I have never been asked when calling other shops here in Austin or anywhere else: how many miles and will this car be a daily driver. Because of my answers, he then suggested that the car was becoming a high-mileage car (true) and he would suggest a compression test and possibly a leak-down test as part of the PPI. That's a first for me in my limited experience.

While I heard no sounds from the engine that concerned me, I did note the tailpipes were pretty sooty, black even. I only note this because in the horror threads I've read about scored cylinders and such, I've always seen heavily sooted pipes BUT in combination with noises of concern. Of course, the soot could simply be from lack of cleaning and not indicative of anything mechanically.

My questions are:
I don't think this is a common set of tests for a PPI, or is it?
Is it perhaps a good idea to do compression and leak-down testing on a car with 100k+ miles?

Any thoughts on this?
Old 02-03-2018, 08:46 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Is a leak down test common for a PPI - no. Is it a good idea? Sure why not, it will give you more information about the engine. If you are about to purchase this car and you don't mind the extra expense, it may give you some additional peace of mind when it comes back normal. It will not guarantee you'll never have a problem. You are purchasing a 16+ year old car, it's a toy that will need regular maintenance (i.e. more money dumped into it)
Old 02-03-2018, 01:50 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

^x2
Old 02-03-2018, 03:47 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Should be mandatory on an engine with that many miles to determine extent of wear to cylinders &/or rings etc.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:34 PM
thebutterson
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

We hear about scored/cracked cylinders a lot more than worn rings or valves. I think I'd ask for the cylinders to be borescoped before asking for a compression test. But I guess you can do both if you pull the plugs.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:59 PM
rattlsnak
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It was very common in the pre 96 models but anything after that with OBDII its probably not as common. If it passes the scanner test with no misfires, DTCs or pending fault codes, chances are high that the engine is sound.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:16 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

For what it's worth I paid extra for those two tests to be added to my PPI and the knowledge that my engine passed with flying colors gives me at least some baseline confidence that if I continue to treat the engine properly I can keep those numbers for a good long while.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Montychristo128
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if this is included, but I would also want them to pull the oil filter and check oil, ahhhhhh if only.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:55 PM
inspectX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Apachechief: If you have full service history on the car from new, documenting regular oil change and fluid flush intervals, than a compression/leakdown is less critical. If you're at all unsure about how the car was treated, however, I'd recommend a full PPI + one or both of the procedures.

Let me know if our Porsche tech in Austin can help. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2018, 10:15 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Montychristo128
Not sure if this is included, but I would also want them to pull the oil filter and check oil, ahhhhhh if only.
!st step of a PPI should be pull the oil filter housing, depending on what you find it may be the last step saving a lot of money.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:03 PM
ApacheChef
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. Thanks for the replies and thoughts.

The shop suggesting the compression and leak down tests is estimating 6 to 8 hours for the complete PPI which is 2x or more than what I'd expected and budgeted. But I get it, $1k, you know get a solid idea of what you're buying and have a baseline condition to move forward from.

The other bit that's tripping me up is that the car apparently throws O2 sensor codes every few months, along the lines of the Pelican Parts thread:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...t-problem.html
Now that I think about it, running rich could cause sooty pipes also...

@Montychristo128 and @Byprodriver - This shop does pull an oil sample for inspection as a standard part of their PPI.

@Butterson - I'm under the impression that the most effective borescope comes by entering the engine from the underside. Can you get a good read from the top of the cylinder?

@InspectX - Unfortunately the service records were lost somewhere along the way before the CO took possession. CO does have all of his records. I've been able to piece together some history from forum posts and CarFax. :/
Old 02-08-2018, 04:24 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ApacheChef
Hi all. Thanks for the replies and thoughts.

The shop suggesting the compression and leak down tests is estimating 6 to 8 hours for the complete PPI which is 2x or more than what I'd expected and budgeted. But I get it, $1k, you know get a solid idea of what you're buying and have a baseline condition to move forward from.

The other bit that's tripping me up is that the car apparently throws O2 sensor codes every few months, along the lines of the Pelican Parts thread:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...t-problem.html
Now that I think about it, running rich could cause sooty pipes also...

@Montychristo128 and @Byprodriver - This shop does pull an oil sample for inspection as a standard part of their PPI.

@Butterson - I'm under the impression that the most effective borescope comes by entering the engine from the underside. Can you get a good read from the top of the cylinder?

@InspectX - Unfortunately the service records were lost somewhere along the way before the CO took possession. CO does have all of his records. I've been able to piece together some history from forum posts and CarFax. :/
6 to 8hrs for a PPI?
Old 02-09-2018, 07:06 AM
inspectX
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ApacheChief: Did you already schedule the PPI + leakdown?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:04 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Dreamer
6 to 8hrs for a PPI?
Leakdown takes time

Id rather a through the sump borescope vs leakdown

Quick Reply: PPI with compression & leak-down testing?