Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Infant seats / strollers that fit into a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 03:20 AM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Infant seats / strollers that fit into a 996?

Hi all,

There's been a lot of discussion on infant seats, but it's 2017 and things change every year. I'm trying to figure out two things - would appreciate any insight people might have.

1. What infant seat fits reasonably well in the back seat of a 996? I would expect I'd need to remove the seat backs, which is fine. Since the car does not have ISOFIX, I am expecting a seat belt mount as well. I don't know if they are all removable, but I would obviously want the seat removable from the base so I can remove it without disturbing the infant within.
2. This one is probably harder. Are there any strollers folks are aware of that will fit in the frunk that are (a) suitable for infants (i.e. go fully flat) or (b) are part of a travel system so the infant seat from (1) above can be mounted on it?

Assume no space inside the car itself since 4 people would have to be in it... I sincerely hope there's a solution for this, otherwise I'll have to sell the 996 and buy an RS6 or something!
Old 02-02-2018, 11:33 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Best you get a family car with four doors.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:37 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't found a seat that sits properly yet. Most booster seats fit without issue but haven't found any car seat that will fit tightly. Our Canadian child restraint laws are more strict than USA also....so as of now, I can only bring the older kids with me.

none of the 4 strollers I have would fit in the frunk.

I think you'll be looking at a roof rack with storage box if you're looking for proper use able storage space. This is very far from a family friendly car.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:07 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where are you located? Best bet would be to go to brick and motor baby store and try fitting all the display models in your car. In Socal, we have BuyBuyBaby - hand them over your drivers license and they let you take the display model to test fit.

Is the 996 the only car in the household? The other thing you have to worry about is front passenger room. If this is your only car, I think this is a tough proposition.

If you have a cab, even worse. No rear anchors - very few car seats that fit well in a cab - none that leave enough room for the front passenger.

Regarding your last point, I've thought long and hard - I don't know that I could give up the 996. But the short list would be E90 M3, E39M5, RS4. If the 996 goes catastrophic one day and leaves me with a bad taste for upkeep costs...brand new GTI.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:18 PM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Thanks for the suggestions all. I’m on an away mission, so to say, in Japan, and local parking and other laws basically prevent me from owning multiple cars (in any sort of sensible financial way anyway). If I were back in North America this would be a complete no brainer - but I’m trying to be creative here without giving up the 996. The goal was to bring it back to Canada once I’m done here, which is why I’m trying to avoid going and buying something I’d need to resell that wouldn’t fit into the Canadian 15 year old rule (like the V10 RS6, which would be the simple way out of the problem).

I’ve managed fairly well to use this as a family car for the last couple of years - I have a build thread here somewhere, where I proudly demonstrate the number of suitcases, people and sets of skis I was successfully able to fit in it - but the extra child seat a definitely throwing everything in a complete disarray.

It doesn’t help that all Japanese car seats are set up like tanks - you should see them!!! - the cheapest one is about $400 (and they go up to $1,000!), look like they can cook and walk around by themselves, and their strollers are completely insane as well, since “compact” is never a consideration here because the problem I’m having just isn’t one most people - let alone people in Japan - tend to have, heh.

Extenisve searching seems to suggest the Cybex Aton 2 and the Baby Jogger Mini Zip stroller .... I may have to sacrifice the spare tire, but I don’t care much for it anyway.

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; 02-02-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:21 PM
beetleything
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...911-trunk.html
Old 02-02-2018, 07:40 PM
Pseudo Nim
Instructor

Originally Posted by beetleything
Lol. I didn't even see that thread, despite seeing a dozen others. Hey, is the 997 frunk and rear passenger space more or less identical to the 996? I.e. if someone managed to fit X into a 997, can I assume it'll be the same for the 996?

Quick Reply: Infant seats / strollers that fit into a 996?