Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Does this lead on a 996 Turbo sound like a scam to you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 04:24 PM
SeabrookPorsche
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I might sell my 996 Turbo. I assure you it's alive and well in Texas.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:50 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
I can vouch for seller, he is a well respected Nigerian Prince.
LOL!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:04 PM
zak996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, this IS a scam. I see it all the time. I've bought and sold several vehicles, and I also ran a classic car website where this came up every now and then (www.ontariozcar.com). Do not give this guy any money. Tell him you have cash and want to see it first. Tel him you have a friend in Canada that will come and check it out. You watch you'll get a story like its already packed up or whatever.

Keep hunting. Walk away.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:37 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

It's probably a scam, but if you think there is a chance it's legit, you can do what it did several years ago in a similar situation. If he gave you a town or city he is located in, look at a map an pick a nearby town. Email him back that you have a brother-in-law, cousin, whomever who happens to live nearby in the nearby town. Ask if he take a look at it. When I sent a similar email, I never heard back from the scammer.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 PM
roburado
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtred
Autobytel says that it doesn't do escrow, shipping, etc.: https://www.autobytel.com/fraud-awareness/

Also, those are 3 year old pictures.
Thanks. I was looking for something like that on autobytel's site, but I had to go out this afternoon before I found that link.

Originally Posted by Atrox
I can vouch for seller, he is a well respected Nigerian Prince.

Love it!

Originally Posted by strathconaman
If any money exchanges hands before you have eyes on the car, expect to lose it.
Agree.

Originally Posted by SeabrookPorsche
I might sell my 996 Turbo. I assure you it's alive and well in Texas.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. This vehicle was listed with 19,000 miles, X50, and $25,000. That's the only reason I even tried to make contact with the seller. Basically, I wanted to see if the listing was a mistake, and if that was the actual asking price. I wasn't even looking for a Turbo. I was looking for a Carrera coupe. Wasn't even sure I wanted to stretch to a C4S. Heck, I wasn't even sure I wanted to buy yet. I was just keeping my eyes open. Then, I saw this thing.

Originally Posted by zak996
Hey man, this IS a scam. I see it all the time. I've bought and sold several vehicles, and I also ran a classic car website where this came up every now and then (www.ontariozcar.com). Do not give this guy any money. Tell him you have cash and want to see it first. Tel him you have a friend in Canada that will come and check it out. You watch you'll get a story like its already packed up or whatever.

Keep hunting. Walk away.
Thanks. There's no way I would part with any money without a friend, an inspector, or whoever having a look at it first.

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
It's probably a scam, but if you think there is a chance it's legit, you can do what it did several years ago in a similar situation. If he gave you a town or city he is located in, look at a map an pick a nearby town. Email him back that you have a brother-in-law, cousin, whomever who happens to live nearby in the nearby town. Ask if he take a look at it. When I sent a similar email, I never heard back from the scammer.
That's a good idea, but he never gave me a location. Never answered the question about where the car is.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:40 PM
jim010
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by roburado
Thanks. I was looking for something like that on autobytel's site, but I had to go out this afternoon before I found that link.

Love it!

Agree.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. This vehicle was listed with 19,000 miles, X50, and $25,000. That's the only reason I even tried to make contact with the seller. Basically, I wanted to see if the listing was a mistake, and if that was the actual asking price. I wasn't even looking for a Turbo. I was looking for a Carrera coupe. Wasn't even sure I wanted to stretch to a C4S. Heck, I wasn't even sure I wanted to buy yet. I was just keeping my eyes open. Then, I saw this thing.

Thanks. There's no way I would part with any money without a friend, an inspector, or whoever having a look at it first.

That's a good idea, but he never gave me a location. Never answered the question about where the car is.
I am in Edmonton a couple hours north of Calgary (if this guy really is there). If the car is there, I could find out.

personally I wouldn't waste anymore of your time on this. Ship the car to you to test drive? Never heard of that before. Skip and keep looking.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Sula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by roburado
I'll have up to 5 working days to inspect, test drive, PPI, etc. Autobytel will supposedly take care of."shipping, payment, etc. to complete the deal "safely and smoothly." Car will be shipped in enclosed container. Delivery agent will bring the car with all original documents.
I vote for scam. This is not how people buy and sell cars.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:03 PM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dude! C'mon! I know you WANT it to be that awesome true story of how you "stole" a turbo for 25k BUT, you KNOW deep inside its a scam! Buying and selling anything online now (with few exceptions like maybe BAT, EBAY?) is so tricky now. People spoof dealers and forums all the time! I called a few random Japanese car dealers that had 991s listed for grt prices I thought they took on trade ins and they all said its a scam. Phone numbers not matching up, cars and people in different states, shipping companies involved, cashier checks, etc, etc. Basically look locally and go SEE the car in person or be willing to pay for flights if looking nationally. End of story. And, if you find someone that actually agrees to have a PPI done at a shop of your choice it still doesn't mean ****. I bought a G wag from Pennsylvania sight unseen after vetting it thouraly and it was still a rusted POS at the end of the day. I will probably never buy a car sight unseen again. Keep looking!
Old 02-04-2018, 03:19 PM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Found on Seattle CL today, I guarantee you its Bull****. Tip off: plate blurred out, no city listed, low price, lack of details.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:20 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by michalik.piotr

Found on Seattle CL today, I guarantee you its Bull****. Tip off: plate blurred out, no city listed, low price, lack of details.
This scam is running all through the internets now. It's on TX, FL, AZ craigslist.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I saw the following Craigslist ad, which seemed too good to be true.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/6815325840.html

t sounds very similar to what the OP described. The seller claims that he has been relocated to Calgary and needs to sell the car for "a new investment". He said that he gave a company (Autobytel?) power of attorney to simplify the sale. If interested, he asked me to submit a bid on Autobytel after which they would ship the car to me and I would have 5 days to inspect it. Clearly this is a scam, but I'm sort of curious to follow up (but not send money, of course). @roburado , any chance the guy you worked with claimed his name was Ronald Allen who works for Suncor?
Old 02-12-2019, 05:34 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jazz11man1
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I saw the following Craigslist ad, which seemed too good to be true.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/6815325840.html

t sounds very similar to what the OP described. The seller claims that he has been relocated to Calgary and needs to sell the car for "a new investment". He said that he gave a company (Autobytel?) power of attorney to simplify the sale. If interested, he asked me to submit a bid on Autobytel after which they would ship the car to me and I would have 5 days to inspect it. Clearly this is a scam, but I'm sort of curious to follow up (but not send money, of course). @roburado , any chance the guy you worked with claimed his name was Ronald Allen who works for Suncor?
This is the same thing. There are so many variations of this scam but they all basically say they don't have the car but someone else will handle the transaction. If you can't have someone you trust to take a look at it before spending any money (and that includes a bid), then it's 99.99% a scam.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:49 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

Take it from someone who has looked very deep into some of these deals, they are a scam. NO ONE will ship a car or sell you a car that you cannot see. I have tried with over a dozen of these "deals" over the years to see the car and I never was able to see it. I was willing to fly out to the "broker" warehouse and look at the car no shipping needed and of course, there was no further contact. Offer to drive or fly out to go see the car so they do not have to ship it and that's where the contact will end!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:57 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

This was a Rennlisters car at one point
It sold on eBay early January '18
It was listed here in Chicago (CL) then, seller tried to tell me it was stored in New Mexico

He's a doctor abroad, escrow service, the whole scam
Old 02-12-2019, 06:18 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

its a scam. I had the same thing happen to me when I was selling a Honda Accord. Someone offered me exactly what I was asking. Then they said they needed me to pay to have the car shipped to his buyer. He Fedex me a check to include the extra shipping fee. I didn't pay for shipping yet, but next day his check turned out as bad. This was like 10 years go. These guys are still trying to work it. If it walks, sounds and looks like a duck...

Quick Reply: Does this lead on a 996 Turbo sound like a scam to you?