Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling, need opinions on value

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 02:51 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyChooToo

personally, I’d rather have an original Factory IMSB that wasn’t “fixed”. There’s been more than a few cases here where a “fixed” IMSB was just a quick patch to unload the car. For the 1999, the incidences for IMSB grenading on the dual row Factory IMSB is less than 3%. No way the “fixed” IMSB are that low when you factor in dishonest owners trying to dump the problem on to the next guy. But good luck to you in your search.
My 18-yr-old original IMSB is going to stay put.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:35 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

My 18-yr-old original IMSB is going to stay put.
I agree with this, especially after watching the PCA video where Mr. Raby did such a fantastic job explaining the whole IMS situation. Mine is an early build date 4/98, so there is no value in replacing the IMS . And while Dash01 suggests that my absurd suggestion is superceded by market value, it's important to keep in mind that these market value numbers are based on a variety of factors and treat all cars equally effectively taking the brand and other performance factors out of the equation. I'm not trying to glorify the 996 or put it on an unrealistic pedestal, but at the end of the day, it is a Porsche 911, and these cars don't just keep going down in value. You will always find something cheap, or find a "deal" but for the most part you get what you pay for.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro

I agree with this, especially after watching the PCA video where Mr. Raby did such a fantastic job explaining the whole IMS situation. Mine is an early build date 4/98, so there is no value in replacing the IMS . And while Dash01 suggests that my absurd suggestion is superceded by market value, it's important to keep in mind that these market value numbers are based on a variety of factors and treat all cars equally effectively taking the brand and other performance factors out of the equation. I'm not trying to glorify the 996 or put it on an unrealistic pedestal, but at the end of the day, it is a Porsche 911, and these cars don't just keep going down in value. You will always find something cheap, or find a "deal" but for the most part you get what you pay for.
Correct, the cars themselves don’t fluctuate in value as much as the market conditions will. Case in point, I bought my Boxster S in the middle of January after the seller lost his job in 2008 (one of the worst times to sell a car quickly no doubt).

Those folks getting a good 996 in the $12-$15k range are paying less than the overall market, those buying 996s for $20-$25k are paying premiums, and the sweet spots are probably $16-$18.5k (based on my assumptions for dealer pricing in the Chicagoland market).

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling, need opinions on value