Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cracked Head/Block - What to do with engine?

Old 01-29-2018, 11:07 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cracked Head/Block - What to do with engine?

My engine suffered a cracked cylinder head or block, and I'm replacing it with another motor. I have about a week to decide what to do with the old engine. Is this worth anything? Does anyone know of any companies that buy these types of engines and repair themselves? Would the aluminum be worth anything at the wrecking yard? I do not have a garage, so storing it long term is not an option for me. I either take it and sell it quickly, or leave it for the mechanic to keep.

I've never been in this situation before. Thanks for any tips!
Old 01-29-2018, 11:20 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

I think you would have better luck selling off the good components in the engine rather than selling the aluminum at scrap rates.
I may be interested in all or some parts if you don't want to deal with it. PM me if interested.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:30 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yes, don't sell this for scrap metal prices. Friend sold his blown up boxer motor for $2500. Thats was 1 with a bad IMS.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Contact FSI
Old 01-29-2018, 01:25 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

There is a huge difference between a cracked head and a cracked block.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:03 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Originally Posted by Jaycote
My engine suffered a cracked cylinder head or block,
Yeah, Jay, I thought you said in your other thread your mechanic confirmed it was the block...
Old 01-29-2018, 04:36 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Either way....don't sell that for scrap metal prices.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:48 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Absolutely! And I wish we could get a confirmation on this!
Old 01-30-2018, 02:31 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My engine suffered a cracked cylinder head or block, and I'm replacing it with another motor. I have about a week to decide what to do with the old engine. Is this worth anything? Does anyone know of any companies that buy these types of engines and repair themselves? Would the aluminum be worth anything at the wrecking yard? I do not have a garage, so storing it long term is not an option for me. I either take it and sell it quickly, or leave it for the mechanic to keep.

I've never been in this situation before. Thanks for any tips!
Why only a week to decide? Can you post of pic of the engine and pictures of the failed component? Can you rent a small public storage space for $59 a month? Rent a pick up for $49 to move it? It's worth your time, I would think, to possibly get $1,500 - $2,500 out of the engine rather than dump it with the mechanic for $500.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:17 AM
Petersa9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same boat, but I kept the engine. It’s on a stand in my garage stripped down to the long block. I’ve only removed the valve cover and no metal visible. My point is if you can prove the mode of failure it could greatly increase how much you get for it. Depending on the failure.

In my case, I’m rebuilding it and keeping it as a spare. I bought a complete engine, so I’ve got a M96.03 parts shop in my garage, the wife is really happy about this!
Old 01-31-2018, 10:51 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

At the very least, if it's the block, the heads are worth $. If it's the head(s) the block is worth $ and the heads can be fixed... This doesn't take into account the value of the ancillary components which are also of value. DO NOT just "leave it for the mechanic" unless he is willing to give you a substantial credit for any work he performed... Good luck
Old 01-31-2018, 11:05 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I mentioned that I only had a week, because that's when my car would be ready. I could def rent a storage unit, but I don't want to pay $600/yr to store an engine that has no value to me (I assume no value). How much effort is involved with actually testing and diagnosing the engine? I thought it'd be a pretty labor intensive job to open everything up and test it and diagnose it. Since I'm swapping engines, I didn't want the additional expense, although maybe i'm wrong on that. If the block is cracked, I don't want to pay money to store it, in hopes of getting only a few dollars, or anything at all. I haven't seen any interest in a cracked block engine and can't seem to find much info on other transitions of that particular issue. If it's a head, it appears I could fix it or repair it for a couple grand, max, and have a solid engine at that point, which I could keep for myself or sell for more money.

If I were to keep it in a storage unit, what's the best way to do this? Do I need to get a wooden crate or something? Do they sell that anywhere or is it easily accessible? What type of maintenance would I need to do while it is just sitting there?

If these questions seem silly, I'm not trolling anyone.....I'm just not too knowledgeable on this type of situation. I've never experienced anything like this before.

Thanks everyone!
Old 01-31-2018, 11:13 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think at minimum the engine is def worth more than the scrap metal.

If block is cracked, head may still be good and that's probably worth 1k there.
If head is cracked, the block is good and that's probably worth 1k at least there.
The crank shaft is a lot of value since it is not something that can just be made by 3rd party (I think)

At the end of the day, the worst situation is head is cracked, block is cracked and the debris destroyed the crank shaft... At that point I can still see you sell it for 1k for someone to attempt a fix or use as parts bin.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:18 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

Assuming you don't want to deal with determining what is exactly wrong with it, why don't you just determine a price for entire engine that you think is reasonable and list it in the parts for sale here. I'm going to be investigating what I need to get my engine running again, so will be looking for some parts TBD at this time. I could be a potential buyer, and I'm sure there are others that visit this forum.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:29 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

I mentioned that I only had a week, because that's when my car would be ready. I could def rent a storage unit, but I don't want to pay $600/yr to store an engine that has no value to me (I assume no value). How much effort is involved with actually testing and diagnosing the engine? I thought it'd be a pretty labor intensive job to open everything up and test it and diagnose it. Since I'm swapping engines, I didn't want the additional expense, although maybe i'm wrong on that. If the block is cracked, I don't want to pay money to store it, in hopes of getting only a few dollars, or anything at all. I haven't seen any interest in a cracked block engine and can't seem to find much info on other transitions of that particular issue. If it's a head, it appears I could fix it or repair it for a couple grand, max, and have a solid engine at that point, which I could keep for myself or sell for more money.

If I were to keep it in a storage unit, what's the best way to do this? Do I need to get a wooden crate or something? Do they sell that anywhere or is it easily accessible? What type of maintenance would I need to do while it is just sitting there?

If these questions seem silly, I'm not trolling anyone.....I'm just not too knowledgeable on this type of situation. I've never experienced anything like this before.

Thanks everyone!
^^ You haven't mentioned "the mechanic" in a while... If you think he is a "good guy/mechanic" (i.e. - he's not actively trying to rip you off) and he is acting in good faith, then offering the engine to him (for a reasonable price/credit) may be your best scenario. If this isn't necessarily the case (i.e. - you've got your doubts about him/his shop) then you should get your engine/car out of there and either a) start doing some serious research on M96 engines, or (b) Find a highly recommended Porsche mechanic that knows the M96 with all of it's potential pitfalls and get the engine to him/her for a proper diagnosis. Good luck again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cracked Head/Block - What to do with engine?