996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Added Topgear Headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 03:41 PM
essjayarr
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

I have over 3000 miles on mine with no CEL so far...with no tune or spacers. This is one of the claims Topgear makes..passes UK MOT inspection....

The following is taken from Topgears site for their 200 cell 996/997 cats...

This pair of high quality, 200 Cell Sports cats are sure to add power and a sportier sound to your 911 996 or 997 Carrera. This part fits all 996 Carrera and 997 Carrera Generation 1 (not facelift/PDK model) and can be a direct replacement for OE cats. The cats will add +12-+15 BHP and are compatible with aftermarket parts that fit OE, such as Topgear silencers or manifolds. The cats will pass MOT, won't trigger CEL and are a fantastic, easy fit.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:01 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

No CEL for me. Just tonnes of burble.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:07 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I have Fabspeed Headers and 200 Cell Long-Pipes, they both have Cracked a few times and I have had to have them Welded
So I'm thinking of getting a new set of Headers & X-Pipe from Top Gear as long as the headers are MADE IN UK and NOT ASIA
My Question is though since I'm doing a LN 4,0L should I stick with the 54mm or get the 63mm X-Pipe?
and if do the 63mm X-Pipe should I stick with the 200CEL or get the 100CEL?
Old 07-05-2018, 11:25 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by essjayarr
IIRC from the info on their site when I purchased them, they were made in the UK.
Topgear confirmed the Headers/Manifolds are made in Thailand
Old 07-05-2018, 01:36 PM
essjayarr
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
Wow. Their website here https://www.topgear-usa.net/about-tg-usa says this...

"With our combined decades of experience, exhaust components tested to perfection and a 300+ strong network of fabricators we leverage our industry leading guarantee and expertise to create the finest stainless steel exhausts all over the USA. The components are hand-crafted and welded in the UK and distributed via master franchises in the USA."

Either way, I'm very satisfied with the quality of the pieces I received where ever they originated. We'll see if they will stand the test of time.
I'd imagine cars with these which are tracked and see extreme temperatures may experience failures sooner and/or more often.

My other hobby is VW Vanagons using Subaru engines. Many of the custom exhausts made for these use stainless steel. We've seen header welds which have cracked. It appears to happen to the ones driven in the cold winter weather. Maybe the sudden splash of cold water onto a hot pipe could be the cause?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:49 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know where you heard that, but I have been to their factory in Bridport and can confirm they make all their own stuff. Either that or the large lorries that I saw delivering steel tube all day are going to the wrong place!
Old 07-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tjr
I don't know where you heard that, but I have been to their factory in Bridport and can confirm they make all their own stuff. Either that or the large lorries that I saw delivering steel tube all day are going to the wrong place!
Alexander Kilcoyne
Director
Top Gear (Bridport) Limited

is who told me that via Email... Headers are made in Thailand but the Cat Pipes are made in UK
Old 07-06-2018, 11:40 PM
Vfrealtor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for sharing! My headers on the C4s base plate and bolts are rusted. Also looking for an x-pipe to complement my PSE system. The Headers + x-pipe comes in half the price of the fabspeed. Looking to add about 30-40 HP with bolt on parts. Headers, x-pipe with 200 cell cats, an intake system, IPD plenum and that should get me 30-40HP.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:07 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Vfrealtor
Thank you for sharing! My headers on the C4s base plate and bolts are rusted. Also looking for an x-pipe to complement my PSE system. The Headers + x-pipe comes in half the price of the fabspeed. Looking to add about 30-40 HP with bolt on parts. Headers, x-pipe with 200 cell cats, an intake system, IPD plenum and that should get me 30-40HP.
I'd love to see before and after dyno #'s.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:45 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alexander Kilcoyne
Director
Top Gear (Bridport) Limited

is who told me that via Email... Headers are made in Thailand but the Cat Pipes are made in UK
That seems very strange - but I stand corrected! That certainly isn't public knowledge here in the UK...

Quick Reply: Added Topgear Headers