Sponsored by:

IMS Solution installed in my 2004 C2

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:58 PM
Sula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default IMS Solution installed in my 2004 C2

It was a big project: drop the engine, separate the transmission, install IMSS, re-assemble & go. A big boost was a friend willing to help, who himself has a friend with a nice shop that includes two lifts, one of which he was willing to let us use for a week (it being a slow time of year). Based on how things went and what we encountered, this was close to essential.

With just a few exceptions, things went well.

With the various special tools (essential) and detailed instructions the IMS Solution install went smoothly. It was gratifying to find that the original IMSB was in pristine condition. Probably the biggest issue was cutting the notch for the oil feed line. Some sort of template to give a precise location and size for this would be nice - as it is, you either cut the thing substantially bigger than it needs to be, or you do cycles of the following:
- loosely fit the new IMSB cover
- find the notch isn't quite right
- re-install the old cover (to keep chips out of your engine)
- enlarge the notch
- carefully clean all chips
- lather, rinse, repeat

It won't surprise you to hear that with the engine out we did a number of additional preventive maintenance items:
- Clutch
- RMS
- AOS
- Water pump
- Low-temp thermostat
- Engine mounts
- Spark plugs

Some issues:

In theory, you can separate the A/C compressor from the engine and thus avoid the need to empty the system of its refrigerant. In practice, access to the rear compressor bolt is fiendishly difficult - you probably need to have seen this previously to have any good chance of success. To gain access, you must remove a temperature probe attached to the intake manifold - and then the rubber grommet that holds the probe in place. Even with these out, you don't get perfect access to the bolt.

Separating the power steering hoses was a siege. Access is difficult, and the necessary torque is ridiculously excessive. I ended up cutting one hose (which had been leaking and was probably in need of replacement). I'd suggest a heat gun and much patience, plus a collection of colorful curses for whoever decided that the required force should be 7 times what's appropriate.

I didn't need to do anything with the exhaust manifold bolts, but I thought it might be a good plan to loosen these, apply some anti-seize, and re-tighten. And I was almost right. Eleven in a row came off properly; the 12th (left side, aft) sheared. It doesn't leak, so it looks like I can wait while I figure out the best way to deal with this. (Suggestions?)

If you have questions about this project, I'd be happy to share what I learned. Keep in mind that I'm a rank amateur who has done this exactly once.

Last edited by Sula; 01-20-2018 at 05:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
plpete84 (12-21-2021)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:33 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

thanks for the report. i'm dropping my car off on Tuesday for clutch, rms and imsb replacement as I decided against tackling myself. sounds like I chose wisely. i have done all of the other pm you mentioned (and then some) save the AOS, so I saved myself that much in labor and not to mention having to buy the speciality tools needed for this job.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Congrats on a job well done!

The nothing process for the block is always a less than desired part of this job. I personally don’t look forward to this when building engines.

I have developed a tool for this. Its more than a template. A template really won’t work here, as the blocks vary over the 11 years of production of the engine. To be able to create this North perfectly, despite year/ model of the engine, you must center off the 3 bolt flange pattern for the IMS flange. The tool I developed does this. It makes this job a 20 second affair.

Its currently at the Patent filing stage, once complete I will pitch it to the guys at IMS Solution, and we’ll see if it makes it to market.

That said, with more and more DIY efforts with the IMS Solution, an initiative is being made to support these installations. I don’t agree with doing this; but thats why I do, and why the other people involved, do what they do. I’m just the idea guy that makes it work.

I will say that I’ve added 3 IMS specific classes to the offerings at www.theknowledgegruppe.com for 2018...

Charles from LN will be along soon with some big announcements about these DIY initiatives.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

In a collaborative effort between LN Engineering, The Knowledge Gruppe, and IMS Solution, we have teamed up to offer a free loaner tool service for those buying an IMS Solution. Full details can be found over in the Vendor Marketplace:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vendor-a...ol-rental.html

We had offered a tool rental program years ago and we had problems with tools not being returned, but we are trying to give it another go in conjunction with newly introduced training.

For those wanting to tackle this job themselves, the upcoming training classes Jake and I have put together will help do-it-youselfers gain the knowledge and confidence to take on this caliber of procedure on their own.

http://www.theknowledgegruppe.com/in...8-ims-bearing/
Old 01-20-2018, 04:22 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice work! Definitely not an easy project. Pat yourself on the back.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:27 PM
Sula
Instructor

I'll note that the IMS Solution falls squarely into the category "costs a lot - worth every penny". The quality is extraordinarily high - just what you want for what ought to be a permanent fix.

Kudos to Jake and Charles for making this available, and within reach of an amateur.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:13 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

share some pics!!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:58 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Is there any of the exhaust manifold stud protruding above the surface? I have had good luck carefully cleaning the remaining stud with a wire brush, soaking the stud with penetrant for several hours, tig welding a nut on the remaining stud, and using an impact wrench to break it free. The heating a cooling cycle from the welding process seems to help free the stud.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:26 PM
Sula
Instructor

I have just a few photos - should have taken more.

This one shows detail of the oil line leading to the installed IMS Solution. To allow room for the nut to turn, I had to grind away a small part of the "boss" that is engaged by the lowest case-half bolt (red arrow).

Old 01-21-2018, 09:31 PM
Sula
Instructor

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
Is there any of the exhaust manifold stud protruding above the surface?
Yes - probably a few mm.

The idea of TIG-welding a nut to act as a sort of bolt-head sounds useful. I'd need to find a skilled TIG-capable welder, preferably one that makes house calls - or has a shop in which I can do the prep work.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:41 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a bearing that can be replace on ims solution? im hoping to do my ims this year on my 05 997 but im most likely going for the solution..
Old 01-22-2018, 12:30 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 333 Likes on 208 Posts

The 997 has the bigger bearing requiring the engine cases to be disassembled to replace the IMS. I would just have the outer bearing shield removed to allow oil in and out.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:36 PM
dforal
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Sula, congrats on the successful IMSS install. Been almost 4 years, can you update current status? I'm looking to DIY the IMSS myself in the near future. I plan to just drop the manual transmission (on my 03 S) and will be supporting the car with QuickJacks.

Quick Reply: IMS Solution installed in my 2004 C2