Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Pm Sent.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:45 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats @az968gpw!
Please post some pictures when you get a chance!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:50 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

I will, hopefully the weather will cooperate this weekend, snow in the forecast so our maiden voyage may be delayed.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:19 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

So an update on my car.

Finished heavy detailing of the interior. The PO was a smoker so I hit the interior with some Vamoose to get rid of any smoke odors. Then fabric, carpet, leather and vinyl treatment. Looks nice and fresh inside. While going through the car identified some missing and broken bits, like some fasteners in the frunk, visor mirror covers, etc and got those ordered. New cabin filter coming as well. Ordered the "non-smoker" package pieces (fake cig lighter and cubby tray to replace the ash tray which had been used - I detest cigarette smoke.) FYI, the PO died of cancer. You smokers out there better quit while you can.

The crappy "soft touch" paint on the console and a few other places have signs of wear so this summer I'll remove all of those pieces and paint them body color. That will spark up the interior.

New rotors and pads will be needed this year so another summer project will be to replace those and throw on some SS brake lines. While it's up on jack stands I'll install the Euro Sports Suspension package that came with the car and have it aligned.

It's in the body shop right now having the front and rear bumpers repaired and repainted. Rennline grill screens will be installed then. And later a clear bra to protect all of that new paint. The rest of the paint is in good shape, a little buffing and it's ready to go.

Had the oil tested and the results came back perfect! There was some initial question if the PO had followed the proper break-in instructions for oil changes. I was able to track down the service shop he used and some oil change records and it looked like it was done properly. The oil test matched Joe Gibbs oil profile and the old oil had less than 5k miles and about one year on it. Hadn't been driven much since the PO passed away in Nov.

I now have the Raby USB with all the records, instructions, photos, etc.so that's great to have. Amazing photos of the engine build!

But, I have one problem that is causing me some concern. The engine is reporting a P0011 error, which is a camshaft issue. Been through a number of diagnostics with no specific cause identified. Found the left bank cam off approx 10 degrees from expected value in the retard direction, the right side is fine. Used Durametric and another scan tool that confirmed the results. Swapped cam position sensors, no change, problem stayed with the left bank. Then replaced left side cam tensioner adjustor solenoid with no change. Using a tool from F6I (for replacing IMSB) manually checked physical alignment of both cams and it looks like the left bank cam is off by about 10 degrees. and the cam couldn't be rotated by hand so it doesn't appear the chain stretched.The engine was rebuilt 16k miles ago and it had to be reassembled properly, no doubt about that. Mechanic's recommendation for the next step is to remove the cam cover for a visual inspection, which will entail dropping the engine.

Haven't been able to drive the car much with the sorting out of these issues. I'm reluctant to drive it much until this P0011 code problem is sorted out. Don't like to drive with the CEL on, could mask another problem.

.Did get in one nice drive. Looks like I may have difficulty getting the key back from my wife.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

If you can collect a Durametric log file of the bank 1 and 2 Cam deviations, with RPM plotted from idle to 5,300 RPM I’ll get it to Mr, Raby for review. Do this before anyone pulls it apart, please.

Ensure the engine is at 180+ degrees and has been at that temperature for at least 15 minutes prior to gathering the log.

We are seeing a lot of Intake cam adjuster issues (vane cell adjuster) and at times the symptoms are the same as what you’ve seen. In these instances the CEL will often illuminate pretty much as soon as the car is started, or within a minute or so. The P011 code is common with this, and the symptom is a deviation from 8-14 degrees. The issues effect the “parking” of the adjuster when the engine is shut off, and this is notable on start up, as the cams advance for emissions purposes, and cold start operation/ fast idle.

Going a year on the oil service can aggrevate this. The adjusters are hydraulic and can be finicky. Ensure the oil is changed every 6 months or 5k miles, whichever come first.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:47 AM
gnarbowski
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that is a bummer.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:23 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
If you can collect a Durametric log file of the bank 1 and 2 Cam deviations, with RPM plotted from idle to 5,300 RPM I’ll get it to Mr, Raby for review. Do this before anyone pulls it apart, please.

Ensure the engine is at 180+ degrees and has been at that temperature for at least 15 minutes prior to gathering the log.

We are seeing a lot of Intake cam adjuster issues (vane cell adjuster) and at times the symptoms are the same as what you’ve seen. In these instances the CEL will often illuminate pretty much as soon as the car is started, or within a minute or so. The P011 code is common with this, and the symptom is a deviation from 8-14 degrees. The issues effect the “parking” of the adjuster when the engine is shut off, and this is notable on start up, as the cams advance for emissions purposes, and cold start operation/ fast idle.

Going a year on the oil service can aggrevate this. The adjusters are hydraulic and can be finicky. Ensure the oil is changed every 6 months or 5k miles, whichever come first.
Thanks much for the offer of help!

I won't be able to do this until early April as I will be out of town for a couple of weeks. I forwarded your comments on the my service shop for his review and scheduling. But the symptoms you described is exactly what we're seeing! If this is the issue, do you see any reason I shouldn't drive it this week? We have a casual 100 mi round trip scheduled and was going to use my 968 for that. Would rather drive the 996.

Yes, my plan is to change oil every 6 mos; have a case of JG and filter sitting in my garage for use 5 months from now. I'm pretty punctual about oil changes, cheapest engine insurance you can buy!
Old 03-11-2018, 12:24 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gnarbowski
Well that is a bummer.
Well, I hope to convince her that I need to drive it too.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:15 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Old 04-05-2018, 03:44 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Judd, finally was able to collect the Durametric log file of the bank 1 and 2 Cam deviations, with RPM plotted from idle to 5,300 RPM per your advice. The file will be emailed to you from Deyoung Motors today or tomorrow. Was out of town for several weeks and not able to get the car to him before today. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by az968gpw
Judd, finally was able to collect the Durametric log file of the bank 1 and 2 Cam deviations, with RPM plotted from idle to 5,300 RPM per your advice. The file will be emailed to you from Deyoung Motors today or tomorrow. Was out of town for several weeks and not able to get the car to him before today. Thanks for your help!
Soubds good, Mr. Raby should be in his office on Monday and will review them then.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:52 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

So an update is in order on my car.

Jake Raby was very helpful in diagnosing the cause of the engine code. It was the camshaft actuator for Bank 1 as Jake deduced. Even though I wasn't the person that paid him for the engine rebuild, he really went the distance for me!

Was finally able to have it replaced last Friday and the Durametric readings all look normal, the cams track over the RPM range. No error codes, no CEL. This is a Porsche part that I have been told by several respected service shops occasionally fails. Maybe it was due to the infrequent oil changes earlier in its life, maybe it was just my bad luck, maybe the car gods didn't want me to get the car so cheaply and jacked up my total cost. Whatever the reason, certainly nothing to do with the rebuild. It fails internally so it can't be visually inspected without disassembly, which generally means replacement, doesn't appear to be something you put back together.

Had a chance to finally exercise it appropriately this week. The engine is a beast! Everything I had hoped it would be! Really comes on very strong and pushes you back in the seat! And what a sound! A friend who had a 996 x50, and now drives a GT3, was very impressed. Much stronger than the x50 and it now sounds like a Porsche should.

Put me in the "Jake Raby Rules" camp!

I've fixed some of the cosmetic issues that annoyed me and have an ever dwindling list of things to fix up. Some, like repainting the "soft-look" paint on the console can wait. Next will be to replace the brake pads (another thread) and install the ROW M030 kit that came with the car.. But first, I need to hit our mountain roads again!
Old 05-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Glad to see that this was easily taken care of. We were happy to help you.
Jud

Quick Reply: BAT Auction:996 with Flat 6 Innovations Stage II Track Performer Engine