Sponsored by:

Cylinder Scoring Repair cost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 03:15 PM
Z0RR0
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Scoring Repair cost?

Apologies if this seems redundant, but couldn't find an answer in the multiple threads around the issue.

What's the cost of fixing scored cylinders, assuming one does most of the work. aka sending the naked block to LN or whoever performs the repair. Plus the cost of a new set of pistons, presumably. But no fancy 4.0 big horsepower shenanigans. Just back to stock.

Popular Reply

02-02-2023, 05:01 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by 88911coupe
6,000 INCLUDES the pistons? That seems MORE than reasonable to me. Is it a given to replace the pistons if you've had bore scoring? I rebuilt the engine on my '88 Carrera and enjoyed the process but I had several things done by professionals such as measuring cams, crank, pistons and cylinders. I also had the cylinder heads rebuilt by CE. I'm comfortable with engines but I also know my limits. I like to take things apart...getting them back together is something I'm learning to love...
That also includes resurfacing of the deck which other places don't include. We also measure the deck height and supply the appropriate thickness head gasket so that you don't have to worry about piston to valve or piston to head clearance issues (this is equivalent on an aircooled engine of having to mock it up to shim the cylinders to have the correct deck height).

As far as the pistons, for the 3.4, 3.6, and 3.8 engines we're now supplying custom Mahle Motorsports pistons, so they are as good if not better than the original forged pistons. We do enough volume that we could justify for these engines having Mahle make up pistons to work with our Nickies set up with the right rings and clearances. Since it costs the same to sleeve the block to stock versus going oversized, it is a no brainer to go bigger. And since the pistons are almost always messed up from a bore scoring failure, the cost for a whole new set of pistons is almost the same price as a single replacement piston and a set of piston rings from Porsche. In fact, I'd wager in all these years we've probably only done a handful of blocks to stock bore size, mostly for PCA Club Racers. Everyone goes big.

Considering we're doing about 250 blocks a year, we've always got sleeves on hand and have one dedicated CNC mill set up just for M96 block work. We're turning blocks out quicker than we ever have and that also includes our QC work that goes into the blocks before shipping that includes pressure testing and measuring the bores for ovality, taper, and surface finish.

Pretty much all you have to do is clean everything, gap the piston rings, and then assemble.

Yelcab also mentioned shipping -we do a prepaid shipping option where we send out a box with custom foam inserts to make shipping the block easy. That way we prevent unnecessary damage from mispackaging that happens much more often than I would like to see.

We try to make this process as easy and straightforward as possible. Plus everyone loves working with George (my dad) - he retired from the Aerospace industry and came to help me with the business.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:31 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

https://lnengineering.com/products/w...1997-2008.html
Old 01-18-2018, 03:37 PM
dgi 07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deepens on how deep you want the rabbit hole to go.

But anywhere between $15-17K Canadian.
and $15k is skimping and re-using parts.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:49 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Takes a special kind of stomach to walk out of the Porches dealership with a $2800 bag of bolts.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:50 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Only one thing to say http://rndengines.com/
Old 01-18-2018, 03:52 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

3.6 LNE nickies and piston kit:
https://lnengineering.com/products/watercooled-cylinders-pistons/porsche-boxster-cayman-and-911-model-years-1997-2008/36-911-nickies-inc-96mm-fsr-je-piston-set-inc-rings-pins-clips.html

3.4 nickies and piston kit:

https://lnengineering.com/products/watercooled-cylinders-pistons/porsche-boxster-cayman-and-911-model-years-1997-2008/34-boxster-cayman-911-nickies-inc-96mm-fsr-je-piston-set-inc-rings-pins-clips.html
Old 01-18-2018, 03:59 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Highly depends on what else you need and want to replace. e.g., timing chains, chain pads, scavenger pumps, all the plastic parts, etc. but in general LN NIckies + piston + ring package is $5k. Then $2k for head machine work, then $7-8k for parts including IMSB retrofit/IMSS. All US dollars.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:53 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An alternative to what most talk about here is US Chrome ($1,500] for boring and nikasil plating and $1,000 for Wossner pistons (includes rings, clips, and pin). Several off-the-shelf piston sizes. Check the Wossner catalog offered in Europe. For some reason the US catalog has not worked for a while. Or call John in CA or Ralph on the east coast.

Millenium is another option for repairing the cylinders (probably a little less). But people I have come to trust say US Chrome.
The following users liked this post:
allcool (02-02-2023)
Old 01-19-2018, 11:06 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Keep in mind that cylinders fail in more than one way... Scoring is just one problem.

The second problem comes in the form of a crack that forms in the cylinder.

Some have mentioned having plating processes applied to the original parent material of the cylinder. While this does solve the scoring issue, it does not strengthen the cylinder wall. This means the probabilities of the cylinder cracking are not addressed with the plating process. LN Engineering Nickies couples a stronger cylinder, with superior Nikisil plating, addressing both areas of concern.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:11 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Provided you can find a machine shop in North America that is well versed in Silicon/Aluminum cylinder bore refinish., here is the official repair guide from the inventors of the Lokasil process (Kolbenschmidt Pierburg AG) which is used on the M96/M97 engines exclusively.Hartech accross the pond is versed in this repair and has the equipment to restore the cylinder bore finish to factory spec.The shipping accross the ocean would be costly, also the availibility of oversize pistons require that the bore remain factory size so that the factory pistons can be used.

Hartech also has a cylinder strengthening service that re-rounds the cylinder and installs a retaining ring to keep cylinders round which is a BIG issue on m96 engines.Cost is about $100USD per cylinder. It should be something just about any quality machine shop should be able to perform.

So there are other potentially available ways to successfully repair the block/cylinders of the m96/m97.But if you want increase in displacement or performance the LN Nickies and compatable pistons are the only way to go.
Attached Images
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
168Sierra (02-03-2023), SealG996 (02-05-2023)
Old 02-02-2023, 12:56 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been asking the OPs question to myself as well. Does anyone have a "ballpark" cost for ONLY the Nickies cylinder replacement process assuming the engine has been taken apart and shipped to them for the work. Not including the myriad options like increasing displacement, etc.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:24 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 637 Likes on 397 Posts

I've been asking the OPs question to myself as well. Does anyone have a "ballpark" cost for ONLY the Nickies cylinder replacement process assuming the engine has been taken apart and shipped to them for the work. Not including the myriad options like increasing displacement, etc.
I just did one 3 months ago.

$6,000 for block machining, new pistons, new rings, and shipping both ways
You need to replace seals and gaskets, one-time used fasteners, head gaskets, chains, ramps, tensioners, to the tune of $6,000
Probably need to do a valve job: $1500
Special tools: $1,000
Fluids, starter, alternator rebuilt, misc: $1,000
Labor: any where from free if you DIY, or $6,000 for a cheap mechanic.

$15,000 if you did it yourself.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:53 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

6,000 INCLUDES the pistons? That seems MORE than reasonable to me. Is it a given to replace the pistons if you've had bore scoring? I rebuilt the engine on my '88 Carrera and enjoyed the process but I had several things done by professionals such as measuring cams, crank, pistons and cylinders. I also had the cylinder heads rebuilt by CE. I'm comfortable with engines but I also know my limits. I like to take things apart...getting them back together is something I'm learning to love...
Old 02-02-2023, 04:16 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 637 Likes on 397 Posts

You send them the 996 case halves, empty and void of all removable pieces (dowels). They send you back the two case halves, the pistons, the rings, wrist pins and clips. You have to assemble the engine from the ground up. It's not a complete assembled short block. There is a lot of work involved. Is it a reasonable deal? Well, let's just say many people elected to pay it.

As for assembling the engine yourself, if you have not done something similar, don't assume that a $600 DVD set makes you an instant expert at engine building. It won't. The air cool 1988 Carrera is way different from the 996 engine in terms of build and process. You should plan on $5,000 to $10,000 labor cost to assemble the engine depending on what the hourly rate is. Dealers won't touch it but indis will.

Last edited by yelcab; 02-02-2023 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:01 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

That also includes resurfacing of the deck which other places don't include. We also measure the deck height and supply the appropriate thickness head gasket so that you don't have to worry about piston to valve or piston to head clearance issues (this is equivalent on an aircooled engine of having to mock it up to shim the cylinders to have the correct deck height).

As far as the pistons, for the 3.4, 3.6, and 3.8 engines we're now supplying custom Mahle Motorsports pistons, so they are as good if not better than the original forged pistons. We do enough volume that we could justify for these engines having Mahle make up pistons to work with our Nickies set up with the right rings and clearances. Since it costs the same to sleeve the block to stock versus going oversized, it is a no brainer to go bigger. And since the pistons are almost always messed up from a bore scoring failure, the cost for a whole new set of pistons is almost the same price as a single replacement piston and a set of piston rings from Porsche. In fact, I'd wager in all these years we've probably only done a handful of blocks to stock bore size, mostly for PCA Club Racers. Everyone goes big.

Considering we're doing about 250 blocks a year, we've always got sleeves on hand and have one dedicated CNC mill set up just for M96 block work. We're turning blocks out quicker than we ever have and that also includes our QC work that goes into the blocks before shipping that includes pressure testing and measuring the bores for ovality, taper, and surface finish.

Pretty much all you have to do is clean everything, gap the piston rings, and then assemble.

Yelcab also mentioned shipping -we do a prepaid shipping option where we send out a box with custom foam inserts to make shipping the block easy. That way we prevent unnecessary damage from mispackaging that happens much more often than I would like to see.

We try to make this process as easy and straightforward as possible. Plus everyone loves working with George (my dad) - he retired from the Aerospace industry and came to help me with the business.
The following 10 users liked this post by Charles Navarro:
evoroadster (02-02-2023), GC996 (02-02-2023), James_03C4S (02-03-2023), JohnCA58 (02-02-2023), Just one more (02-02-2023), Porschetech3 (02-02-2023), Rick DeMan (07-19-2023), SealG996 (02-03-2023), Stephen-LN (02-03-2023), wdb (02-03-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Cylinder Scoring Repair cost?