996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Project Black 996 Canada - $20k+ spent!

Old 01-20-2018, 07:32 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car looks great! That stance is great!

I stopped looking at my hobbies as far as investment/resale... i'm way past that point in my life. I'm old enough to know I'm throwing money out the window with all the toys (motorcycles, boats, porsche's, dirtbikes, trucks, lift kits, 37" tires, 8k mountain bicycles, 10k road bicycles, etc ) LOL

However, if I die tomorrow, I definitely went out with a smile. Every week and weekend has been an adventure in my life for more years than I can remember.

From what I've learned in my short time in the 996 world, there tend to be three types:

1. smarter than me (bought a 996 real cheap, with PPI, ims done, 0001 original miles, 1 owner, and have jake raby's personal cell number on speed dial)
2. average guys (bought a 996 at an average price, with average miles, and have put a few bucks into the vehicle)
3. the warriors (bought a 996, and either at the track every weekend, or have 20k+ invested due to variables a,b,c, and or d)

I'm somewhere between 2 and 3. :-)

Enjoy the ride and don't sweat the $$

you cant take it with you
Old 01-20-2018, 09:32 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I always liked the 968 club sport and 911rs and later the 997 gts and 996 gt3 .
and I saw what rpm tecnik had done with their 996 csr.

my budget could have maybe stretched to a higher mileage early 997
but I liked the idea of building my own car inspired by the above list.

i was working fly in fly out at the time and I ordered the parts over many months as I could afford them , when ready I did some of it and scan did the rest

I now have a car spec'd as I want and will keep long term ( for less than any special ed factory car)
i have a 40ae/turbo/4s style frount bumper and gt3 side skirts to paint and fit and my wish list includes some 18" Fuch style wheels

it's only got 65k kilometers on it but when the engine is tired or if I get the time , I've a rebuilt 997 s 3.8 and all the ancillaries from a crashed car I bought ( the motor had only 3500 km on it when the car was totaled ) and salvaged .
Im keeping this car forever . Never had so much fun.

i learned a long time ago , you'll never get your money back on a car you hobby build .
a few times I've bought someone's pride and joy for less than they had in it , and more times I sold a car for less that I had in it. and I have once or twice (aircooled 911, Ferrari 308 ) actually made money.

Its not a hobby for the logical

Last edited by Vancouver996; 01-21-2018 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:57 AM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

One area you can keep your costs down is basic maintenance, changing your own oil is easy and frequent changes the best thing you can do for your car .
canadian tire puts castrol edge 5w40 which is Porsche a40 approved on sale about 4 X a year .
35-50% off . You need 2 jugs as the car takes 9 litres .
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ca...-0289212p.html
You can set it up to get an email when it's on sale .
air filters and cabin filters are easy to do . And soon enough you'll do more and more , like fitting new window regulators in the doors when they fail. Fitting s short shifter is an easy diy .

Last edited by Vancouver996; 01-21-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:36 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

lots of money in refreshing that car, and still a lot of things that could give you problems in the future.
learn to DIY and you'll save a lot of money.

as they say, nothing is more expensive than a cheap porsche

Originally Posted by Vancouver996
Its not a hobby for the logical
+1
Old 01-21-2018, 05:09 PM
Michael Sjerven
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love that the cheaper 996 purchase prices allow for more ‘pimping’ of your ride. I like being able to customize my cars with personal touches. Most 996’s out there aren’t exactly sorted these days. But with these cars getting 20+ years in age buyers will have no choice but to start focusing more on maintenance.

Cars are not investments, but nice to know the 996 is not depreciating these days.

My 911 experience was a bit tough since there was so much deferred maintenance. Had I bought a mint 996 I may have a slightly different view on these cars. But the cheaper price paid allowed some great upgrades and I love where the car is at now.

Scan recommended I don’t change IMS until I need a clutch since that would be another $5k. Of course the biggest cost would be a new engine if anything were to happen. Given the car has under 90k miles I think she has lots of life left in her.

I live in a condo so it’s hard to do much work on the car. I did some basic stuff, however, like filters and short shift kit etc.

@vancouver996 looks like yours is one of the nicest ones around.

Of course my fav 996’s are the turbos and C4s. At same time I love the NB classic look and excellent value it brings.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:30 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

I mainly buy cars like yours. I enjoy restoring cars. Check out my InstaGram to see the crap I buy. lol LeftForDeadCars is my IG.

Most people look for cars at the lowest price-range. Most also don't do their own work. That combination usually doesn't end well. You have to be very careful on the "bargains" you buy, and you have to realize there is a $ value a car will be worth no matter what you do to it. A car that has been painted will limit your ultimate "investment".

I just bought a fairly rare 2003 Honda Accord V6 6-spd for $850 with a new clutch kit. Needs to be installed. I have already determined that the car will likely never be worth over $5000-$6000. With my $4000-$5000 window, I will have some fun with it. It's in pretty bad shape as far as it needs to be cleaned up.

I have a second 911 that I am going to do the same thing with. Basically got it for free.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project Black 996 Canada - $20k+ spent!