Sponsored by:

The cure for cold start induced bore scoring

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Every day before leaving work he would walk over to the window of our 3rd floor office building with a remote.
Really?! That dude had to be tall!

Old 03-14-2019, 11:12 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I hate to admit it, but the first thing I thought is; do you keep a spreadsheet on the door of the refrigerator in the kitchen with oil temperature on one axis and outside temperature on the other? If you want the oil to be 68° when you pour it in, you have to account for the loss of BTUs as you transport it through the cold outside air. The colder it is outside, the higher your initial temperature will need to be. These things are important!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:30 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by D.L.Jehu
I'm late to this thread, but can relate to both methods:
get a couple nice logs from the wood pile, and light 'er up. The trick was to position the tarp to avoid melting the front tires.
Many moons ago there was a national news story about a guy up north that thought it was a good idea to "warm up his fuel" for his car to run better in the bitter cold weather. He ended up burning down his house. Oh well.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:45 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
Really?! That dude had to be tall!
haha. He was a big guy.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:26 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
You guys got it all wrong......If you just park your car in the living room at night it would never be an issue. Ya gotta prevent the problem, not make a fix for it!

I guess this guy doesn't have any oil leaks...
Old 03-14-2019, 03:46 PM
Claydus
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Build a fire under the engine like this.....

Old 03-21-2019, 12:43 AM
D.L.Jehu
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This guy looked a fair bit like my Dad did about 50 years ago, that is until he took his beanie off. He was pretty scientific about the whole thing. We just made a campfire and went back inside for peanut butter sandwiches and Kool-Aid. We also didn't make any Hindenburg grade sparks when we jumped something. Yikes. (Once our neighbor was fueling a gas tractor from his elevated tank when a wrench fell out of his coverall pocket and landed on the batteries (the seat which normally covers them on a JD being missing at the time) which sparked like a Rocketdyne F1 engine on pre-ignition, which then lit the gas hose on fire, which then (just like a Wiley Coyote cartoon) burned upward and lit the entire 300 gallon gas tank on fire. Well, actually it exploded and shot across the entire farm yard at a steady eight foot elevation, went straight through the open doors of their quonset, and landed in a huge pile of newly harvested wheat. Which it lit on fire. Alvin was standing at the kitchen sink at the time when he heard a faint noise and looked up just in time to see the conflagration shooting across the yard in front of him and disappearing into his quonset. Too bad we didn't have cell phone videos and YouTube back then.) Oh man, just typing that out is making my wife wonder why I'm over here chuckling uncontrollably... Nothing fun ever happened over at our farm. Anyway, rural folks learn the difference between what is easy and what is possible pretty early on.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:04 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Wonder how to prevent barnacles attacking your boat ? Put it in dry dock every time after using it.
That's a real thing on the east coast. You call ahead to have the boat launched. When you're done for the day, you just tie it up to the dock and walk away. The marina puts it back into its storage slot. Some are stacked indoors, some are stacked outside. No bottom painting necessary.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:49 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
That's a real thing on the east coast. You call ahead to have the boat launched. When you're done for the day, you just tie it up to the dock and walk away. The marina puts it back into its storage slot. Some are stacked indoors, some are stacked outside. No bottom painting necessary.
We also have this in the central coast.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:06 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by B-ran

the damn help stealing oil! That explains why I’ve had to add a quart every thousand miles or so!

Lock up your oil!

TC

Quick Reply: The cure for cold start induced bore scoring