Sponsored by:

Suspension Upgrade and Rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 03:19 PM
911STYL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Suspension Upgrade and Rims

Newbie posting again - 2003 Cab with 85k on the clock and I intend on refreshing my suspension. This is my shopping list:
H&R Springs
Eibach Sway Bars
Bilstein B8s
TWR Inner and Outter Tie Rod
Four-wheel alignment
Driving style - daily driver, do not anticipate any track time, spirited driving from time to time
Goal - more aggressive and lowered stance and not a harsh ride but firm when cornering etc.
Is this a decent setup? What is under steer?

Rims - I'm still not clear. I have 18 inch rims now running 225s in the front and 285s in the rear. However, whenever I do any kind of search for rims by 2003 Porsche 911 Cabriolet, only 19 inch rims come up. I'm definitely not opposed to 19s but I do not want to experience unintended consequences- throwing codes, speedometer misreading, etc. etc. If I go with 19s will they support my suspension agenda above and more importantly, cause no harm?

911STYL

Old 01-14-2018, 07:00 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

If I were you I would go a different route. First of all. The busshings are probably not working well after so many years no matter how well taken care the car is. I would do.

Polyurethane bushing kit. (Will make your care feel like new)
Ohlins Coilovers
Eibach Swaybars.
New engine and transmision mounts.

Should run you about the same price. You could even save some money and just go Poly-bushings and coilover and it would be a big improvement. Full adjustability and you can always resell the coilovers if you sell the car and recoup the majority of the cost.

Polybush kit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-POL...urDpZJ759Z2ong

Watch this.
Video:
Old 01-14-2018, 07:52 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ohlins are the best but if your budget was for springs and b8s you'll be in for a price shock .

i used h&r street performance coilovers and the price difference between those and ohlins left enough money in the pocket to be able to afford powerflex polubushes
if you stick with your springs and shocks plan , some bush work is a good idea regardless

you might want to look at the row mo30 kit from suncoast , comes with shocks springs and sways for about 1500 and it's a factory option

drop links and adjustable toe arms might be needed when you lower the car. I didn't buy them at first but ended up doing them after I couldn't get the adjustment out of the stock ones

19s can work but work with a good shop to ensure you don't get rubbing issues .
personally I prefer 18s

i prefer h&r sway bars to the eibachs , better made with forged ends

Last edited by Vancouver996; 01-15-2018 at 01:25 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

Feal Suspension 441 or Road Race are a great value for coilovers in price/quality. Especially when you consider they are custom built for your application and use. I just installed a set and in happy with them so far. Others here who have used them are happy with them from what I have read as well. Customer service from Feal has been excellent. I also installed full powerflex polyurethane bushings as well as Rennline adjustable rear toe links and GT3 sway bars.

Personally for my application (mostly track use) I found the spring rates on the popular choices (Ohlins, Bilstein, H&R) to be disappointingly soft.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If he’s not tracking - why go through the expense of coil overs? I ran H&R springs on my otherwise stock 997 for 2 years on track with no issues - plus, got the look I wanted. Stock sway bars are fine as well if he’s not tracking. Porsche did a great job on the suspension as is. Maybe sport springs and ROW 030....

The Wevo semi solid motor mounts made a HUGE difference especially coupled with a solid trans bushing.

The sport spring stiffen it up a bit and give a great stance.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:28 AM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Here is that mo30 row kit , hard to beat for the money comes with shocks springs and sways . The row version drops you down an inch to European height https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...WM0302002.html

worth noting is that since mo30 was a factory option , resale on the car is easier if pca/ originality freaks are your market

Last edited by Vancouver996; 01-15-2018 at 01:45 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:46 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

I had heard that the ROW was only about a 10mm drop which isn't much. Can anyone confirm?

Also does anyone know are these the same sways I would have on an Anniversary Edition 996 (I've heard American AE's have the ROW suspension minus the springs)? If so even better, I could use the bushings and sell the sways if my AE has them. I need new suspension badly and this looks like a good option if the ROW really does lower 1"
Old 01-15-2018, 08:59 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by e90steve
I had heard that the ROW was only about a 10mm drop which isn't much. Can anyone confirm?

Also does anyone know are these the same sways I would have on an Anniversary Edition 996 (I've heard American AE's have the ROW suspension minus the springs)? If so even better, I could use the bushings and sell the sways if my AE has them. I need new suspension badly and this looks like a good option if the ROW really does lower 1"
My suggestion was to go with either M030 (US Spec OEM) and the H&R's or ROW030 - which will lower the car some. If you want it lower - at the time of install install the H&R's. As far as the sway bar goes - upgrading is cheap enough - but again, why? The ROW will come with the larger sway bar - but if you're 100% street driving - "spirited" or not - the OEM Porsche sways are more than enough. Unless the case is - "I just want to change something to make something feel a bit different." I am guilty of that as well. Just trying to advise having done this on both my 997 and 996.

If it were me - and the car was only a street car (even with the occasional DE thrown in) - I'd go with the cheaper of the 2 options (M030 or ROW030) with the H&R Springs, semi solid engine mounts - and MAYBE a new trans bushing.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:47 AM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
My suggestion was to go with either M030 (US Spec OEM) and the H&R's or ROW030 - which will lower the car some. If you want it lower - at the time of install install the H&R's. As far as the sway bar goes - upgrading is cheap enough - but again, why? The ROW will come with the larger sway bar - but if you're 100% street driving - "spirited" or not - the OEM Porsche sways are more than enough. Unless the case is - "I just want to change something to make something feel a bit different." I am guilty of that as well. Just trying to advise having done this on both my 997 and 996.

If it were me - and the car was only a street car (even with the occasional DE thrown in) - I'd go with the cheaper of the 2 options (M030 or ROW030) with the H&R Springs, semi solid engine mounts - and MAYBE a new trans bushing.
Yeah so 40th AE comes with M030 from the factory. So I have M030. My question was are the swaybars the same on the ROW030. If so I would keep the bushings from the ROW030 kit and sell the sways since I allready have them.

My question was how much do M030 SPRINGS lower the car and from what I can tell other threads, it's not very much. 5-15mm at most. I want a solid 1". So you're suggestion of the H&R springs (Or eibachs I guess) mated to the M030 shocks isn't a bad one.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:13 AM
911STYL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Chip
If he’s not tracking - why go through the expense of coil overs? I ran H&R springs on my otherwise stock 997 for 2 years on track with no issues - plus, got the look I wanted. Stock sway bars are fine as well if he’s not tracking. Porsche did a great job on the suspension as is. Maybe sport springs and ROW 030....

The Wevo semi solid motor mounts made a HUGE difference especially coupled with a solid trans bushing.

The sport spring stiffen it up a bit and give a great stance.
Blue Chip your car is absolutely gorgeous - that is exactly the look I want/need when I grow up!!!! I trust your experience because what you've done is what I want to do.

I did experience sticker shock when I researched coilovers as the cost to play in Porsche World - oh my. My biggest concern was do need that much of an upgrade if I never intend on tracking.

I looked at Suncoast and saw M030 Kit and it comprises the following items but I'm reading that it lowers minimally:
Front and Rear Springs
Front and Rear Shocks
Front and Rear Sway Bars

Are you suggesting that I even though the M030 comes with springs, I should substitute them and use the H&R springs to get a lowered aggressive look similar to yours. I believe you also said that the stock sway bars were done right by Porsche as OEM but the M030 comes with sway bars - I don't know if they are an upgrade because of size or something. I know I need new shocks as the ones that are on the car appear to be originals.

Can you give me a little more of your wisdom.

911STYL
Old 01-15-2018, 10:37 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your plan is good. No reason you can't stick with that to achieve what you are seeking. If the bushings on the various other suspension parts are original then they are worn out simply due to age and will need to be replaced. Stick with 17 or 18 inch wheels, less harsh driving experience. Wheel Dynamics sells good 18 inch wheels at good prices. There are other options too.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:17 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911STYL
Blue Chip your car is absolutely gorgeous - that is exactly the look I want/need when I grow up!!!! I trust your experience because what you've done is what I want to do.

I did experience sticker shock when I researched coilovers as the cost to play in Porsche World - oh my. My biggest concern was do need that much of an upgrade if I never intend on tracking.

I looked at Suncoast and saw M030 Kit and it comprises the following items but I'm reading that it lowers minimally:
Front and Rear Springs
Front and Rear Shocks
Front and Rear Sway Bars

Are you suggesting that I even though the M030 comes with springs, I should substitute them and use the H&R springs to get a lowered aggressive look similar to yours. I believe you also said that the stock sway bars were done right by Porsche as OEM but the M030 comes with sway bars - I don't know if they are an upgrade because of size or something. I know I need new shocks as the ones that are on the car appear to be originals.

Can you give me a little more of your wisdom.

911STYL
The ROW sways are bigger than the M030 (ROW stands for Rest of World). The ROW is a bit lower - but won't achieve the look you want of the H&R's. To me - I'd find the least expensive way to replace with OEM shocks and the H&R springs - if you have the option to just get the shocks (probably not using the right terminology) - then there is no need to buy springs that you won't use. The H&R's do a great job of getting that look. Make sure you get some spacers as well for the wheels to flush them out if needed.

My 996 (when it was on the X74) was a bit lower than the 997 on H&R's.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:25 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Not great pics - but the 996 on the X74 (a little lower than the. H&R)
Old 01-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

If it's lowering that's your goal , that's when coilovers become a better option .
even a model like the h&r street performance set which has fixed rebound and compression rates , offers full height adjustability
I set my car a bit higher with winter tires and rims on it , than I do with my summmers on .
You could have different heights for 19 or 18 inch rims .
Without height adjustability , you could have your b8s and springs , buy 19 inch rims and have rubbing tires you can't adjust the car to fix .

The h&r sps use bilstein dampers custom matched to the spring rates so offer improved performance and ride over b8s and lowering springs .
Cost is about 500 dollars more than going with b8 shocks and h&r lowering springs .

Old 01-15-2018, 01:46 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e90steve

the row is 20mm in the frount , 10 mm in the rear from the stock European set up.

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade and Rims