Sponsored by:

996 Cab clamshell stuck on one side

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 09:51 PM
Spets87
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Cab clamshell stuck on one side

Hi all, recently got a 996 Cab, and opened the top only for the clamshell to latch completely on the left side and be still up by about 2cm on the right side. I tried moving it using the method described in the manual, but it has not moved a bit. The roof is completely stored. Any advice?
Old 01-14-2018, 05:11 AM
RT_955TT_KY
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like a broken hinge assembly at the front, or an issue with the latching mechanism. I had similar issue and it was a broken arm on the pivot hinge - driver's side.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:07 AM
Spets87
4th Gear

Thank you for reply, did you manage to open the clamshell using the allen key method from the manual?
Old 01-15-2018, 06:50 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

next time on closing the top down. Stand at the driver side and use the key in the door method . As the top is coming down hold your right arm across the canvas and make sure that it folds correctly on both sides as it is closing. It just might be that the canvas is bunching up and holding the clam shell open a bit. Just a thought.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:04 AM
Spets87
4th Gear

Thank you, I didn't even know that was possible (door in key method). Live and learn!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:43 AM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

The clamshell is operated by an electric motor/gear/cable setup. There are “hooks” on both sides that clamp the clamshell tight. These hooks are operated by a link that can become dislodged. Somewhere on the web there is a saga about someone taking that whole apparatus apart and rebuilding it, with lots of pictures to help explain it. It might even be in Rennlist, I couldn’t find it with a quick search, maybe someone else knows where that is?
try this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...more-pics.html

Old 01-19-2018, 10:39 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
The clamshell is operated by an electric motor/gear/cable setup. There are “hooks” on both sides that clamp the clamshell tight. These hooks are operated by a link that can become dislodged. Somewhere on the web there is a saga about someone taking that whole apparatus apart and rebuilding it, with lots of pictures to help explain it. It might even be in Rennlist, I couldn’t find it with a quick search, maybe someone else knows where that is?
try this thread

That someone was me. There are several threads on the topic. OP, did you get your problem diagnosed? If not, post up some pics and I'll try to help. I've had that system apart more than once.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:53 PM
Spets87
4th Gear

Originally Posted by fpb111
try this thread

That was exactly it! I had my local indy mechanic have a look and he said it was the first time he has seen this happen. He took a whole day to take the whole thing apart and find the problem.
And thank you frisbee91 I did see your thread but had no idea what to look for as the clamshell was stuck and I couldn't open it using the "manual method" from the owners manual.

Quick Reply: 996 Cab clamshell stuck on one side