Sponsored by:

2002 996 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 11:23 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts
Default 2002 996 Cab

I'm looking at a 2002 996 Cab Tip. 53K miles, $21k through a high-end car dealership. Pics look very good. Not seen it in person but if all the inspection are good I'll fly up to inspect and close the deal. Been following this forum for a while (also participate on the 968 Forum). Think I have my major thoughts together to start the PPI (downloaded one from this site provided by Callas Rennsport and added tips from the various videos, etc). and the "deep dive" into this car. Service record histories are available on the Carfax but obviously not the detailed records so will be calling the listed service centers to see what I can get. A dealer will do the PPI. Planning an IMS upgrade and the usual stuff (water pump, RMS, AOS) as well as usual services once i get it home (via an excellent indi shop).. BTW, I'm an **** owner. Biggest concern I have is the 1000 mi drive home if i buy it. The car had good dealer servicing with the first owner, and also pretty good with the second owner. The third owner drove very little and thus doesn't appear to have changed oil very often, which is the IMS-killer situation. The selling dealer did an oil change and filter change so that inspection won't tell me much, so should I pay to have the P Dealer drop the sump for an inspection now (with new oil and filter), or just drive it back and have all that done with the IMS job? Hate to waste the money but an engine failure on the way back isn't any fun either.

What's the thinking on a cylinder scoping for the scoring potential?

Seen a nice hack for paddle shifters on this forum with AMG paddles that looks good. What about other mods to improve performance? I'm not good with "stock", I must tinker!

Thanks,
Old 01-11-2018, 10:49 AM
hauspwr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with the purchase! I also have an 02 Cab, and it has been an absolute blast to own. If it were me, I'd get the oil change done only so i could truly enjoy the 1,000 mile trip back. These cars don't like old oil, and peace of mind is worth it when it comes to potential engine failure... They are phenomenal cars, i never imagined liking it as much as i do!

I haven't done any mods on mine. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:01 AM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the encouragement! The selling dealer just did an oil/filter change as part of their preparations to sell the car so I think that's good to get it home. Been following the recent thread on the IMS bearing replacement, and since the 02 is a single row bearing that failure rate is quite a bit higher so the IMS Solution seems to be in the very near plans. I'm a little more concerned about what may be an original water pump with 53k miles right now. Last 911 I owned ('83) didn't have to worry about that issue. But my 968 has gotten me accustomed to Porsche coolant.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:50 PM
hauspwr
Advanced

Mine had the IMS Solution done in 2014 at 63k miles by the previous owner. Based on PO records, the water pump i believe is original and no issues to date. (currently at 74K miles) If the dealer did the oil change, that makes me feel better about running it home. Good luck!
Old 01-11-2018, 02:24 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a good price. You say "a dealer" will do the PPI, I'm assuming it's not the selling dealer. The IMS issue is or isn't overblown depending on your tolerance for risk. But if you are concerned about it, I think the fact they just recently changed the oil is going mitigate if not eliminate the value of dropping the sump and checking the oil & oil filter.

Being a cab, make sure they inspect the top (inside and out), the operation of it, and the rear window regs - these are all pricey items.

I'm a cab owner myself, so not trying to throw shade - but cabs and tips are two of the less desired configurations for this car. This may make resale a bit tougher later. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:14 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd still drop the pan. Lots of the plastics from the chain guides were stuck in the oil pick up, wouldn't of mattered how much I changed the oil.

I'd listen for engine knocking at the minimum. If you really like the car and can afford the scope check, I'd do it.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:53 PM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Got a listing for the post? Do you want to buy right away? I have an 02 Cab 6 speed and love it, but will be selling this spring likely due to my dream car becoming available to me (Supra or 996 thread).
Old 01-11-2018, 10:04 PM
texcwa
Racer

Originally Posted by HawkFan#12
Got a listing for the post? Do you want to buy right away? I have an 02 Cab 6 speed and love it, but will be selling this spring likely due to my dream car becoming available to me (Supra or 996 thread).
So Hawkfan, you may be getting your dads Supra sooner than you expected? I did not know much about those cars but after reading your original post been checking them out. All I can say is "the're a bad a-- car "
Old 01-11-2018, 10:11 PM
craigmakes321
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Cylinder scoring

Just look at the soot around the two tailpipes. If it is noticeably heavier on the drivers side pipe, that is a problem........

Otherwise, have faith in a great car.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:18 PM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Originally Posted by texcwa
So Hawkfan, you may be getting your dads Supra sooner than you expected? I did not know much about those cars but after reading your original post been checking them out. All I can say is "the're a bad a-- car "
yeah, I think I can get it when I want at this point.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:11 AM
gnochi
Instructor

Originally Posted by hauspwr
Mine had the IMS Solution done in 2014 at 63k miles by the previous owner. Based on PO records, the water pump i believe is original and no issues to date. (currently at 74K miles) If the dealer did the oil change, that makes me feel better about running it home. Good luck!
Speaking from recent, personal experience, just because the water pump is original with no issues so far doesn't mean it'll still be that way in a few months. In fact, since it might be original, I would absolutely encourage replacing it now. It's a $200 part that can brick your engine if you're slightly unlucky.

@OP I have the 03 cab, and (aside from the waterpump shenanigans) it's been a dream to drive. You'll be very happy with it.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:12 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
I'd still drop the pan. Lots of the plastics from the chain guides were stuck in the oil pick up, wouldn't of mattered how much I changed the oil.

I'd listen for engine knocking at the minimum. If you really like the car and can afford the scope check, I'd do it.
Good point. From some other posts, its seems that boring start bottom of the bore, will scoping allow you to see that (assuming piston is TDC)?

Originally Posted by gnochi
Speaking from recent, personal experience, just because the water pump is original with no issues so far doesn't mean it'll still be that way in a few months.
Lol, that's the maintenance requirements of this car in general. You might not need anything for several months or even a year, and then all of a sudden you need everything. Some of us still haven't made it through a few months without something breaking on this car.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:21 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys! I've been digging into the service history of the car and have spoken to the shops that did the work. It was Porsche dealer serviced for the first 27k miles, per Porsche schedules. Looks like brake fluid changes have been dragged out past 2 yrs a few times but that not a big concern,

After 27k miles car was sold and then serviced at a quality indi shop for eight years. Oil changes at less than 10k mile intervals, but in some cases longer than 12 mos. But this shop installed magnetic drain plug and never saw a problem. They replaced ignition lock at 45k miles. Car was sold again during this period.

Sold again and back to Porsche dealer servicing. Again oil changes at 5k or less but longer than 12 mos. One gap appears to be close to 20 months, but low miles. So it wasn't driven much for a while. This shop replaced a turn signal switch and the alternator..

Now the dealer has it that is selling the car. There was a problem with the top and the two drive motors were just replaced, the hydraulics filled and top reprogrammed. They did oil/filter change so no sense it taking the filter apart for fragment checks, probably also cleaned the magnetic oil plug. So I would probably wait to do the IMS until after I get it home.

Appears still on original water pump but, as hauspwr noted his water pump has way more miles. So I'm comfortable that will get me the 1000 mi home before replacement. If if fails, only a nice flat bed tow ride home instead. :-) I've read that when the impeller fails it's not bitty pieces that can get way back into the coolant system.

Have a dealer PPI scheduled for next weekend (20th). They'll check the exhaust pipes for carbon, as craigmakes321 suggested. The service department guy understood that when I mentioned it to him. So it sounds like they know what to look for. I'll send him some more things to check based on what I'm learning.

Still up in the air about the cost/benefit of dropping the sump at this point. Maybe wait till the initial PPI done and see if that raises any red flags before deciding on the more expensive step?

Thanks for the help! Maybe this will happen!

I know the tip and cab aren't the most desirable iteration, but if I can enjoy it for 8-10 yrs, then the added depreciation probably won't be too big a deal. Besides, the value on 996's is only going to go up from here, right? :-)
Old 01-12-2018, 08:30 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

I agree that on RL MT coupe cars are the ticket.

But for the average Joe or Sally they're not PCA members and have no idea what Rennlist is. They drive a Mercedes or a Lexus (has never driven a manual) the TIP Cab combo is a great car.

I think we sometime get caught up in the enthusiast world.

One thing for sure when the seller says never tracked or seen rain and its a CAB TIP car you might believe them.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:42 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Well, I'm a 30 yr PCA member, ex-DE instructor, ran a highly modified 914 and 911SC, and also drive a pretty nicely set up MT coupe 968. I'm thinking with the paddle shifter mod the tip will be a "better-to-shift" version, e.g. more fun.. Haven't had a true convertible since my Austin Healey 3000 and live in a great climate for a cab and also with marvelous open mountain roads. My wife is more comfortable driving a tip, so I guess this is a change of pace car for me. This one will be driven in the rain and, while not tracked, at least "exercised" properly.

So maybe I'm "type-casting" myself incorrectly with this car?

I just don't want a 996 that looks like every other 996 in the parking lot (one of the 50 shades of gray)- this one is Orient Red.

Quick Reply: 2002 996 Cab