1st day with 911 hit a snag. Fuel Leak and Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 08:43 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1st day with 911 hit a snag. Fuel Leak and Won't Start

2002 Cab 4 TIP w/107k.
Truck dropped it off last night and looked very good, no issues from transport. Has to turn over a few extra times to start and I could smell gas. Drove home and gave it the once over and went for a drive. Still not starting right up, when started it would seem like it was going to stall but comes back on idle. Drove about 20 miles and appeared to be running strong. This morning there's a strong smell of gas. But I push through and clean it up for drive to work and to take to mechanic for a once over. Now getting harder to start and now its stalling. I pull out for work and after about 3 miles it losses power and dies. I coast it into a parking lot and try to start it without success. It will just keep turning over without firing at all. Gas tank shows little less than 1/4 of a tank so I figure maybe its off. I put a few gallons of gas in and try again. Still won't start but a few times seemed to try and fire. I'm thinking gas leak and no start are related. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:54 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Is it throwing any CELs?

Also, try unplugging the MAFS and then try to start it. See if it starts any better. Could be a dirty/dead MAFS.

Do you happen to know if the spark plugs and coilpacks have been changed?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:02 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
Is it throwing any CELs?

Also, try unplugging the MAFS and then try to start it. See if it starts any better. Could be a dirty/dead MAFS.

Do you happen to know if the spark plugs and coilpacks have been changed?
No check engine light. Not sure on plugs and coil packs.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:50 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I had a similar issue. Suggest as part of your diagnosis you look for sign of fuel leaking/wetness between the exhaust manifold gasket and the header flange of one cylinder or more on either bank.
If tht looks suspicious. expect to find fuel in the exhaust system. Remove the spark plugs on the affected cylinders. Spin the engine on the starter and check for ejected fuel.
Report back any such symptoms here for a specific diagnosis of the cause..Also ask the P.O. about recent work - particularly valve timing /cam covers off/timing chains or fuel injectors/fuel pressure regulator.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:17 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

A little up date. We couldn't get the frunk open, even after finding the cable and pulling very hard nothing. Turned out the immobilizer under the drivers seat got wet. Lots of expensive options there but got very lucky and found someone that rebuilt it for $450. Installed that and got the frunk open. The fuel issue was the fuel regulator and a bad plug that someone tried to JB weld. Next I took it to get the IMS done. Again after a lot of searching and a lot of luck I found a great place here in Ocala that was extremly reasonable for replacing the IMS. It's Autobahn repair, the owner Seth is great. He replaced the IMS, RMS, air oil separator and a few other minor things for $2,200. I just replaced all the tires. I replaced one of the convertible top rams with a rebuilt unit for $170. The top has some cosmetic issues but I plan I leaving that to the next buyer. I had to replace the headlight switch. Passenger side window regulator just stopped working. Power locks not working. Both seats need power seat switches. I've been seeing used ones for $300 each. Yesterday I found a very nice pair of seats and they were asking $900 shipped. I offered $350 and to my great surprise they accepted. So I'm going to swap over everything I need and sell the seats. All in all this is the worse buy I have ever made. That being said price of admission was the lowest in a long time, with the great paint job, custom wheels and body kit, there's no other 911 around that looks like it and its fun to drive. It I don't have to do much more I can drive for a year and maybe be out a couple thousand. Normally I would make a couple thousand, but for most people that would still be great.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:37 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Always nice when thread is updated, thx
Old 06-16-2018, 05:48 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Coupes,

Sorry to hear of your initial woes, but sounds like you’re well on your way to having a great car. Good to know you found a great indie in Ocala, there’s one here in Gainesville, too. Bavauto Gruppe....

Take some pics and post when you get the chance. And good luck,

Quick Reply: 1st day with 911 hit a snag. Fuel Leak and Won't Start