Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Question re: drilling a rear view camera hole... is the hole accessible from inside?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 08:40 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question re: drilling a rear view camera hole... is the hole accessible from inside?

Good morning,

I'm planning my double din install/upgrade as well as putting in a rear view cam on my 996.

There are two main types of rear view cams I'm looking at.

1. Clip type. These require a bit larger hole to be drilled into the bumper and then the camera clips in to the hole

2. Threaded post. These require a smaller hole to be drilled, but, have a nut that needs to be threaded/tightened from the inside.

I'd rather go with a type 2 camera (threaded post), but, my question is, if i drill into the bumper where the camera goes, is that area accessible from the engine bay or do i need to pull the bumper off?

I guess I'm kinda answering my own question the more i type this out....

Type 2

Type 1
Old 01-10-2018, 09:48 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 122 Posts

You need to pull the bumper skin off to access this area. There is an air space behind the bumper skin between it and the chassis. The wiring to the license plate lights goes through a rubber grommet in the chassis at the back of the car. Wiring for the engine bay goes through one of two large grommets on either side of the engine bay, accessible from the passenger compartment after removing interior parts. I have a coupe, not a convertible, so I can't be more specific on what needs to be removed in your application.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:49 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Bumper off. There is actually a large space between the bumper cap and body.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:36 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Excellent. Thank you!

I don't know why i wasn't considering pulling the bumper off while i was thinking about this the last day or so, but, as i was typing out my post i was like "why dont i just pull the bumper off?" lol.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:49 AM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I would be interested in hearing specifics on how anyone has routed this up to the head unit as well. Maybe through the hole in the floor where the shift cables go through and route up the center console? Attaching to the bumper I think will be the easy part.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:17 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

pelican parts has a pretty good write up on this and so does cai

https://cai-store.com/pages/911-back...ation-overview
Old 01-10-2018, 11:38 AM
curtsr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They make wireless ones as well as ones that are affixed to a license plate surround.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:56 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by curtsr
They make wireless ones as well as ones that are affixed to a license plate surround.
ive seen those, and then i read the comments about baby monitors and stuff. lol.

Quick Reply: Question re: drilling a rear view camera hole... is the hole accessible from inside?