996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

like it or not.. steel wide body ;)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

The beauty of the 996 (currently... values have no where to go but up!) is that you can cut one up and build your dream without anyone getting too upset about it.

One thing that can be said about the Porsche community, regardless of model, is that modified cars (Outlaws, race cars, etc) are never shunned and tend to be as appreciated as a factory-stock example. This could be a left-over mindset of the decades of low values but the fact that enthusiasm still trumps residuals in the era of sky-high prices says a lot about the typical Porsche owner.

And spending time with your son is worth more than anything. Well done!
The following users liked this post:
TopPorscheFan (10-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2018, 02:49 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by yamasaki
I'm on the other side of that fence. I think we're at the bottom of a curve. That's why I got into mine.

We know all the problems at this point and we know all the fixes. Besides the aficionados that are just disgusted by the headlights, mechanically, once the IMS/RMS issue is spoken for with documentation, these engines seem to be likely to run high miles pretty easily. And they will always have the race/track audience. Maybe I'm just a romantic optimist. :-)
valid points, either way .. I'm just going to enjoy the driving experience

Originally Posted by 808Bill

They're still 18 year old cars that need every plastic and rubber piece replaced, engine internals in the higher mileage cars need to be addressed too...No to mention there are hundreds of them for sale on any given day.
already purchased and replaced most of my rubbers. mine were shot when I got the car. you could break it off with your finger nail. anyone have any tips for painting the black plastic pieces? paint used etc. ?

Originally Posted by exc911ence
The beauty of the 996 (currently... values have no where to go but up!) is that you can cut one up and build your dream without anyone getting too upset about it.

One thing that can be said about the Porsche community, regardless of model, is that modified cars (Outlaws, race cars, etc) are never shunned and tend to be as appreciated as a factory-stock example. This could be a left-over mindset of the decades of low values but the fact that enthusiasm still trumps residuals in the era of sky-high prices says a lot about the typical Porsche owner.

And spending time with your son is worth more than anything. Well done!
thanks.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:05 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for a bright (not neon bright) popping green. we were originally thinking sapphire metallic blue but it just looks like ... stock, plain etc.
Maybe something like Signal green?

Or Viper Green?

Here's a thread dedicated to all of the shades of Green from Porsche that people have collected with pics: https://teamspeed.com/forums/porsche...d-porsche.html
Old 01-04-2018, 03:13 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

you the man!! thank you for that. I did like the color I seen on someones signature on this site on there lambo "Verde Mantis".
Old 01-08-2018, 09:00 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

so this weekend I tackled the sunroof. the gap that needed to be filled was roughly 0.200 so I had some sheet metal in my stash that I cut down to 0.175ish at 0.064 thick and fitted it into the gap. spot welded it and through out this week i'll slowly get it all welded in.

like an idiot I didn't cover my front windshield to protect it from the weld splatter... ya need a new front windshield now lol oh well I was debating replacing that anyway

Old 01-08-2018, 09:50 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

This is a super project.

As an aside, my great fear is that by the time I have time to do stuff like this, only self driving electric golf carts will be allowed on public roads.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:18 AM
diddy2003
Rennlist Member

Received 308 Likes on 146 Posts

Looks great. I can't wait to see the final result.
Old 01-08-2018, 01:07 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by strathconaman
This is a super project.

As an aside, my great fear is that by the time I have time to do stuff like this, only self driving electric golf carts will be allowed on public roads.
When it gets to that point... I'll be posting up another thread.. "my 4x4 Porsche build" lol

Originally Posted by diddy2003
Looks great. I can't wait to see the final result.
me to cuz I have no idea which way I'm going with this thing lol kind of wingin it lol

so on another note... paint jobs. Let me say this first... keep an open mind lololol so both of these cars I painted about 8 years ago. these were more on the crazy "just having fun" kind of paint jobs I did. although I must say both of these Camaros I built had insanely fast motors in them and they were not to be taken jokingly on the street when people offered to race me in them... they were scary fast.

anyway... the green is "sublime green" what do you guys think about that color on a Porsche. I'm leaning towards maybe going with the viper green a few posts up but I really did like how the sublime green looked in the sunlight.
second question... this is that open mind part lolol would I be ostracized if I did some tribal designs down the side of the Porsche like I did with these Camaros lol just asking.. stop punching your screen and puking in the waste basket lol

Old 01-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Looks good,
Best part of doing what you are,
is your young son will remember this long after your gone.
That is priceless!
EXACTLY what I thought when I saw your son in the pics. None of my friends can do any mechanical work on their own. They are shocked at how I am not afraid to work on anything, whether it is car-related or house-related. It's all because my dad got me involved in EVERYTHING that broke in our lives.

We are the same age. I went through a life-changing situation where I look at life differently as well. I was the opposite of most people. I was a saver. Always focused on the future. I'm enjoying life much more now.

Anyway, glad to see you being adventurous with the car. You don't see that much with this brand of car.

Subscribed!
Old 01-08-2018, 02:47 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Prelude Guy
EXACTLY what I thought when I saw your son in the pics. None of my friends can do any mechanical work on their own. They are shocked at how I am not afraid to work on anything, whether it is car-related or house-related. It's all because my dad got me involved in EVERYTHING that broke in our lives.

We are the same age. I went through a life-changing situation where I look at life differently as well. I was the opposite of most people. I was a saver. Always focused on the future. I'm enjoying life much more now.

Anyway, glad to see you being adventurous with the car. You don't see that much with this brand of car.

Subscribed!
totally agree. I used to do carpentry in my early 20's and now my wife and I have investment properties on the side and jr helps me all the time work on them when I have to fix something. We refuse to let him be an iphone kid lol life is what you make of it and he needs to understand that.

thanks
Old 01-08-2018, 06:54 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

very cool project! I love custom work like this when it is in good taste; love fabricating stuff and have tried my hand at everything you're doing. My current project is a 914 with steel welded flares.

I was going to ask how you made the initial plug but then you described it; really cool and very creative!
Old 01-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Based on your LOL-to-comment ratio, I'd say you know what we're going to say about the "Tribal" design. But to be a good sport, if you're going to do it, stick to rounded angles that play with the natural shape of the car. I feel like the jagged nature of the Tribal / Tattoo style is going to fight the soft, flowing body style of the 996.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:30 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
very cool project! I love custom work like this when it is in good taste; love fabricating stuff and have tried my hand at everything you're doing. My current project is a 914 with steel welded flares.

I was going to ask how you made the initial plug but then you described it; really cool and very creative!
thank you sir

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Based on your LOL-to-comment ratio, I'd say you know what we're going to say about the "Tribal" design. But to be a good sport, if you're going to do it, stick to rounded angles that play with the natural shape of the car. I feel like the jagged nature of the Tribal / Tattoo style is going to fight the soft, flowing body style of the 996.
ya I was cracking up when I posted those pics. I just pictured heads exploding but your comment made sense. I have seen some rounded graphics on youtube that looked pretty neat which got me thinking about maybe trying them.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:14 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

not sure how detailed I should get with this build. some don't like the small posts some like every detail documented. for me I'm the latter but i'll try to stay in the middle last night I sanded on the drivers side skirt and got it about 80% to where the passenger side is. had to put a little more mud on it, so waiting for that to dry to finish.

the passenger side I worked on the bonding surface to the car. not sure how to word this or explain it but i'll try. this is where the part/skirt will have a void outward but be 1 to1 to the car where I will stick it and then cover up the void with bonder/glass.

This way I will have a seamless skirt. I'm not a fan of seeing the seams like I do on youtube for a lot of them so I'm crossing my finger that it bunds well enough and doesn't crack the paint or anything with flex of the car. I'm going to look into some 3m type glues to see if I can get a better adhesive than just bondo/glass to the metal.

If anyone knows of a good product, feel free to throw it out there

Picks attached are of the bonding surface I'm referring to.

thanks
Old 01-11-2018, 11:06 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 129 Posts

RE: Seams

Take a look at what Akira Nakai does with the seams on his RWB builds.

Also: how does this guy spray paint freehand without getting over-spray everywhere?

Quick Reply: like it or not.. steel wide body ;)