996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

like it or not.. steel wide body ;)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:49 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

My work is having a car show today... people choice for best car. If I don't win... I quit !!! lolol ok not really.

Tomorrow is woodward dream cruise, anyone plan on being there?

Old 08-17-2018, 12:14 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Where is your car?
Old 08-17-2018, 12:20 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

In the middle with a guy looking at it. I was just showing all the cool cars lol sorry
Old 08-17-2018, 12:27 PM
professorman
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Yea, definitely a tough crowd if you can’t pull off the win here. Haha. Should be easy, but you this might be the domestic crowd. Everyone should be able to appreciate the 911 tho. You definitely fit in better with the exotics class :-p
Old 08-17-2018, 01:22 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Hey tt123....just catching up on your thread....if you are looking for a turbo engine....I saw a bunch of 996/997 turbo engines at Norspec Dismantling last time I was there....you should call them to source and engine...they are reasonable and others on RL have used them as well.

BTW...you need to post better pictures of your car where we can see it...
Old 08-17-2018, 01:33 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by professorman
Yea, definitely a tough crowd if you can’t pull off the win here. Haha. Should be easy, but you this might be the domestic crowd. Everyone should be able to appreciate the 911 tho. You definitely fit in better with the exotics class :-p
Well I work in an r&d facility so a huge part of the company is people from European countries.. I might have a shot lol

Originally Posted by lowpue
Hey tt123....just catching up on your thread....if you are looking for a turbo engine....I saw a bunch of 996/997 turbo engines at Norspec Dismantling last time I was there....you should call them to source and engine...they are reasonable and others on RL have used them as well.

BTW...you need to post better pictures of your car where we can see it...
I'll post up some good pics later when I take some on the lawn.

The turbo engine would be awesome but to be honest... I have no confidence in messing with the electrical of the Porsche. I cant find any good stories about figuring it out and I'm not the most electronically equipped individual. the motor I'm building now already has a stand alone wiring harness for it so that.. I can handle lol. but I did buy another toy the other day, another supercharged fiero for my wife and I might slap that motor I'm building for the Porsche in it... I don't know.. I change my mind daily on just about everything lol

Brian

Old 09-18-2018, 10:41 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bump...anxiously waiting on updates.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:24 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Atrox
Bump...anxiously waiting on updates.
me to!!! sorry guys been very busy working on the house. laying a cement deck around the pool with a cement mixer I picked up off craigslist two bags at a time lol yes I'm to cheap to pay the $20k for a company to put it inn. laid a cement pad for a hot tub we just bought, remolding the interior of our house..its just never ending but I'm always willing to make time to go for a cruise if anyone is ever in the area lol

plans have not changed though and I have chipped away at building the motor. had a little set back with the heads when I took them to get the valves done, they found cracks so all that time spent on porting was for nothing. so had to buy a new set of heads and spent $700 having them cleaned up and valve job done to them and I'm currently porting these ones now. I've also started sandblasting and cleaning up parts off the old motor for rebuild. Once the cold sets in here in Michigan, i'll be hitting it harder. should be a relatively quick swap since its not even close to all the work I did to the body.

also... so this weekend I was out cruising with my brother who has a scary fast bmw z4(He's smoking hellcats.. no lie) and we were tearing it up pretty hard on the back country roads around me and I noticed when I was shifting into second that it felt like it was slipping before it would catch then bog down a little bit as it grabbed. I'm thinking my clutch is about to go out, would you guys agree? it was changed at 80k and the car now has 124k

Brian
Old 10-09-2018, 06:44 PM
61HealeyBN7
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post #238. The red car on the left is my sons car TT with the VR6 engine. 6 speed manual.
Great thread btw.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:10 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 61HealeyBN7
Post #238. The red car on the left is my sons car TT with the VR6 engine. 6 speed manual.
Great thread btw.
i looked at that car when i was there. I had a 2004 tt, loved it. Thanks for the comment
Old 10-31-2018, 08:48 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Hey guys, so I've put the car up for the winter. I actually did it a few weeks ago which bums me out because it was to early to park it but my clutch is to worn so no point in keeping out. I took it to my brothers house and gave it a major detailing along with a nice buff and wax job, check out the shine of that paint I'm quite proud of my garage paint job. That BMW next to it had a paint job and my brother paid $10K for it... mine costs about $300 lol although that BMW is so scary fast that I don't dare play with him when we are out cruising... whatever, mine looks better lolol

Not sure if I'm going to have time to do the engine swap this winter as I am just so stinkin busy. Kitchen flooded a couple weeks ago and I'm redoing that, painting(sapphire metallic blue) and modding up that 3.8sc fiero for my wife so she has something fun to drive next summer, I took on painting someone else's Porsche 924 track car this winter for some extra car cash and I have all the extras I wanted to do to my Porsche.

So I ordered a lightweight crank pulley, shark works lightweight fly wheel kit and new clutch, new poly trans mount bushing, new high flow air filter that I'm going to make a better cold air intake for so it doesn't cross over the motor, I also took off my wheels to get them refinished in black and candy green. oh and took out that huge heavy speaker box out of the back to make a new one out of fiberglass so its lighter. I'm sure there will be more stuff as I tear into it this winter.

Any maintenance you guys would suggest for this winter while I'm under the car and the trans is out? motor mounts, water pump etc. I've heard people rattle off things I should do when I first got the car but I don't remember lol motor has 126k on it.

Thanks
Brian

oh ya..... I'm also going to get the car lowered before I put it back on the road with a better alignment. blew through my rear tires in one summer so that alignment I did at the beginning of the rear was for squat

Old 10-31-2018, 09:38 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

No recommendations for maintenance...

But let's say you needed to fill and shape some ABS plastic parts. What would you use?
Old 10-31-2018, 09:50 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by strathconaman
No recommendations for maintenance...

But let's say you needed to fill and shape some ABS plastic parts. What would you use?
Fill and shape... like a hole on a contoured surface? I've tried bonding to abs a bunch of times... never to succeed for a length of time. but I have learned but not tried yet that 3M does make a glue for ABS and the reviews I've read on it were all VERY good. so if I was doing something like that which I might on a boxster wide body bumper I made a couple years and bonded it with just resin. I would do a lap joint with the glue in the middle and use "liquid plastic" for the seam and a good file to smooth it out. I've done plenty of SMALL dings over plastic with bondo and haven't had any issues once the paint goes over and holds it in place. so not sure how big of an area your talking about. Theirs ways to do it now just have to find the right product, pretty sure 3M has it.

hope that was what you were asking lol
Old 11-26-2018, 11:35 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Nothing crazy cool or exciting to post but I'm bored and thought I'd share what I've been up to with the Porsche and other projects I have going on in the garage.

I wasn't going to post pics or info on the speaker box but ..... why not. someone might want the info for there car.

So the system in my car that came with the car was/is amazing... I mean sick... disgustingly delicious to the ears. I say that as someone who used to build systems all the time for myself and friends in my younger years. the only thing I didn't like with it was the weight of the sub box. so I took it out and I'm making a new one out of fiberglass. I'm also swapping out the Memphis subs(800 watts each) for some alpine (3000 watts each)

Attached is the pics as of last night.

also started sanding and prepping another Porsche for a black paint job, think I mentioned it up in the thread somewhere. really cool turbo 924 track car.

Still putsing around with that fiero I picked up over the summer. I've been buying some fun stuff for the 911 as well but i'll wait to update on all that till I get a little deeper into and have some pics.

Thanks
Brian

Old 11-26-2018, 02:20 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Going "Lightweight" with fiberglass is going to pose problems with resonance. How do you plan to make the enclosure "stiff" without adding weight (which was clearly your problem with the MDF enclosure)...?

Quick Reply: like it or not.. steel wide body ;)