like it or not.. steel wide body ;)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 04:19 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Were you part of the manhattan project?
lol if i was, i was the guy who reappeared missing a few inches cuz i'm only 5,6 lol

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Got me questioning the direction I'm going in!
come this direction if you ever want to talk on the phone let me know. this motor has many options. there is aluminum heads as well and turbo set ups. these motor can pump out huge hp if your willing to spend the money. like i mentioned, i have a fiero with a motor very close to what i'm doing here in it.... and the price !!! this vs the ls swap or built 996 motor

these are the 3 big hitters for this motor.

zzp performance
3800 performance
intense racing

those 3 websites should convince you. the fiero we built should run mid 10's. on youtube you can find a man named "darkhorizon" i met him about 14yrs ago when he first started messing with these motors. the video you find on youtube will show hime going 10 flat about 3 miles from me at the lapeer drag way here in michigan.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:34 PM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

a grand prix engine in a Porsche? LOL
Old 06-28-2018, 05:32 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Ouch !!!
Old 06-28-2018, 05:33 PM
tekkie
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
Ouch !!!
hahaha someone was going to do it
Old 06-28-2018, 05:36 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

I know lol

so those who are cringing and thinking this wont happen... pic below lol

iv had this kit for about three years waiting for an opportunity to use it bahahaha lol
Old 06-28-2018, 06:11 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Old 06-29-2018, 02:33 PM
gcthree
Rennlist Member

Location: Williamsburg, Virginia by way of Garden City, New York
Received 116 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
second pics are of the calipers. they look good enough to eat lol love em!!! I took them to my brothers house where all my big tools are since this new house is to small for that stuff and sand blasted the calipers. primed them, 3 layers of paint, Brembo stickers applied and then 3 layers of clear coat on them. if you zoon in on the close up pic you can see they pearl in it.
Thanks
Brian

Brian;
I'm about to refinish my calipers. I assume that those are the old piston seals and you rebuilt the calipers after refinishing them? They look amazing. I'm using a paint remover that attacks powder coating finishes, and then will bead blast them.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 06-29-2018, 02:57 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gcthree
Brian;
I'm about to refinish my calipers. I assume that those are the old piston seals and you rebuilt the calipers after refinishing them? They look amazing. I'm using a paint remover that attacks powder coating finishes, and then will bead blast them.
Thanks,
Bob
Bob, I have rebuilt chevy calipers before but I don't want to mislead anyone here.. I did not rebuild the calipers. just blasted them and painted them. I thought about it but I was a little worried about tearing into them as I have never worked on calipers other than American cars... ya probably stupid reason but I pick my battles wisely and if I'm not confident I will succeed at something I want to attempt .. I usually don't attempt it lol

I did take a huge amount of time to strip them down, tape them off ... I mean really tape them off lol and did my best to protect them before I blasted them. also, I had never clear coated calipers before. I usually just painted them up.. I've been missing out on ease of cleaning lol when I wash the car all I have to do is spray them and the brake dust washes right off. so much easier to keep clean.

long response ... sorry.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:59 PM
gcthree
Rennlist Member

Location: Williamsburg, Virginia by way of Garden City, New York
Received 116 Likes on 37 Posts

How did you keep the blasting from invading the brake piston seals? I am going to rebuild my calipers; they don't need it, but being that I have everything off the car and I'm going to bead blast them, I figure why not leave the old pieces in place...strip and blast the calipers...and then paint them before doing the rebuild.

Love long responses, btw! Thanks, Brian!

Bob
Old 06-29-2018, 06:59 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gcthree
How did you keep the blasting from invading the brake piston seals? I am going to rebuild my calipers; they don't need it, but being that I have everything off the car and I'm going to bead blast them, I figure why not leave the old pieces in place...strip and blast the calipers...and then paint them before doing the rebuild.

Love long responses, btw! Thanks, Brian!

Bob
good question. I'm a believer in lacquer thinner LOL I wash them down very good. Since thinner dries very fast i just wipe it off quickly and then I use duct tape for the seals. Since I wasn't worried about painting the inside of the caliper for visual I didn't sandblast the inside. Just at the top of the out side of the calipers and the outside. I've done this quite a few times in the past and I've never had a leak so far

sorry for the bad grammar I'm using Surrey outside in the pool with my son
Old 07-15-2018, 10:51 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

happy Sunday forum. so I'll try not to ramble but have a few updates to share. I haven't been doing too much with the car other than driving it and a few minor things like putting the new seat belts in, headliner back in and rear seats back in. for the most part, I've been cruising Woodward on the weekends with my wife and son and having a blast !! also just gathering parts for the 2nd phase for this car.

so pictures below pretty much show all the parts that have been coming in. I've finished all my porting for the heads so I need to drop them off at the machine shop and get my valves redone. instead of porting my supercharger and lower intake ... I just ordered a new set(pics) that was already done ... I'm to stinkin busy lol all my go fast parts have come in for the motor except my nitrous kit but I can start assembling the engine now. found some cool green horns I'm going to put on each side of the intercooler(pics) replacing my Memphis subwoofers with alpines(3000-watt peak each) my new shift boot with green stitching and also my short shift kit came as well. I'm planning on doing the center console, shift boot, and shifter this week. there is some broken stuff on the console I want to fix and peel off the fake carbon fiber stickers the previous owner put on.

i'll post up some more pics in the next few weeks to show you guys the rest of the stuff I have not put on yet but just thought I'd let everyone know. it's still going

lowpue the lambo pic... that guy was really cool. told me that car ran 10.53 in the quarter stock... hes since put on a turbo kit and is running 1000+hp really nice car/guy and had a fun time. one guy swore the body work done to my porsche was a tech art kit cuz it looked to good to be done in a garage lol

Old 07-15-2018, 12:02 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Excellent!
Old 07-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

At some point you got to let us know how much $$$ you’ve thrown into this car. I’m thinking you prob could have bought a 997tt.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:18 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Your car looks awesome next to the lambo….here is a picture from today at the MI Car Show with my 996 next to my Lambo (Lemon/Lime) ...love both cars but the 996 with my special sauce edges out the Italian.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:52 AM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Excellent!

Originally Posted by Atrox
At some point you got to let us know how much $$$ you’ve thrown into this car. I’m thinking you prob could have bought a 997tt.
I can rattle off from memory what I'm generally all in for.

car-$15,700
wheels/tires-$2500 (was refunded $300 for road rash on them after I received them)
frnt bmpr-$800
rr bmpr-$620
suspension-$1500
bushing-$400
trailing arms-$400
exhaust-$360
paint-$300
frt seats-$340
rr seats-$400 (reupholstered)
seat belts-$80
steering wheel-$120
shift boot-$120
short shifter-$120
horns-$100
engine-$350
machine work-$600
go fast parts-$3500

Total so far =28,310

only thing left to buy which is a maybe is the nitrous kit but I'm still thinking on what kind of kit I want to go with. the 996 tt is 420hp correct and looks like still selling for low to mid $30's... I should have that beat $ wise and hp. Not saying my car will be better than a 996tt all around but I'm pretty happy with this car so far and I wont fear being side by side with one at a stop light with $500 up for the win lol . Plus I should get a few bucks out of my motor when I pull it if it sells. not sure the specs and $ for a 997tt

Originally Posted by lowpue
Your car looks awesome next to the lambo….here is a picture from today at the MI Car Show with my 996 next to my Lambo (Lemon/Lime) ...love both cars but the 996 with my special sauce edges out the Italian.
I still want a lambo though lolol its on our list to get ... hopefully within the next two years.

Quick Reply: like it or not.. steel wide body ;)