Originally Posted by Einsteiger
Russ will straighten you out.
Thanks already did :-)
Old 01-07-2018, 06:15 PM
PORSCHEMORCHE
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
It's been available now for about 5 months roughly if I were to take a stab.

Obviously they missed the memo and the class action suit.
So Charles Navarro are still advocating your solution or is the kit that Porsche is offering is as good and if used they will warranty it for some time/miles? Would like your opinion
Old 01-07-2018, 06:21 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by PORSCHEMORCHE
So Charles Navarro are still advocating your solution or is the kit that Porsche is offering is as good and if used they will warranty it for some time/miles? Would like your opinion
As with all replacement parts sold by Porsche, if they are not installed by the dealer, they are sold with zero warranty.

The only permanent fix is the IMS Solution, which backdates the IMS to a plain, oil fed bearing.

http://www.imssolution.com

The IMS Retrofit, although proven, is a service item, like any other ball or roller bearing replacement.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:24 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Ok I am now officially confused reading this thread has done me in. I have a 2001 996 c2 and last oil change before storing for winter had no foreign particles in the filter or filter canister. I did put in a LN magnetic plug.
Next spring I will be planning on a clutch replacement and while I am at it do the ims bearing as well. My question is what ims solution is considered the solution. Now that Porsche has got a kit do I use that or Mr. Navarro do I use yours {LN}? I forget who had a LN bearing done for $1750 and clutch replaced at $675 where the heck was that. It’s way below what I have been quoted heck I’ll drive the car there for that $2400 fix for clutch and bearing wow !
Advice and input would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Buyer beware. If someone had the bearing done at $1750, they probably didn't even drain the oil and just topped it off, let alone do any part of a pre-qualification procedure.

Not every car should be retrofitted. There are plenty of engines that should be disqualified. We have turned down IMS installs in our shop when they fail pre-qualification. There are many shops that are interested only in your money and will gladly carry out the procedure on an engine that isn't healthy enough, or worse yet, install a new bearing after the original has failed.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:30 PM
Russ21
Instructor

I have a 2001 996 how do I know if I have single or double row ims bearing?
If you belive wat people wright on here you have two parts to your bearing one part is on th IMshaft the other is in your oil filter :-)

seriously though I've heard it's very hard to tell without looking.
With whatever you do, very best of luck.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:15 PM
todcp
Instructor

Charles, Why would you "assume" you know anything about my LN Pro install??
It was I that had the LN Pro installed for 1750 by a Porsche indy. And yes the job was done correctly; thank you for your concern. And I have purchased one of your oil filter adapters and the magnet. I respect LN tremendously but assuming only your certified installers can do and have done this job is absurd. And assuming the job has to cost more makes me think price fixing??
And one of your "certified" installers quoted me a number only 200 higher. But my dealer, who had the job done, before I would agree to complete the purchase, wanted someone "he" trusted to do the pre-qualification. Possibly my dealer has a relationship with this indy that lowers their hourly rate or maybe the certified installers charge too much?
Old 01-07-2018, 07:43 PM
PORSCHEMORCHE
Intermediate

Originally Posted by todcp
An 8% chance of catastrophic failure on my new to me 2001 Carerra 4 was worth the 1750 cost for me. And had the RMS and Clutch done while tranny was out for another $550.
So 1750 for the Pro LN bearing vs an 8% chance of sending my purchase to the trash heap. Each person has to make that decision. Glad you are happy with your decision.
Charles Navarro the price for the ims and clutch tocpd quoted in his post that’s where I got that. Does the seal on the Porsche kit not get eaten up from the acidity of the oil and thus the grease of the bearing melts out and leads to failure?
Do you have any authorized shops in Minneapolis? I think Imola does some of the ims repairs if they aren’t can you recommend anyone here in Minneapolis?
Old 01-07-2018, 07:56 PM
PORSCHEMORCHE
Intermediate

Todcp, to bad I live in Minnesota that was a great price you paid but what is the difference between LN Pro versus the ims solution is your fix have a direct oil feed ? What kind of clutch did you get with that price I doubt it but did that include a new flywheel also?
Old 01-07-2018, 08:04 PM
todcp
Instructor

Also of note is Hagerty's values says the lack of a bearing upgrade is a 15% deduct. I figured in the cost for the LN Pro, RMS and Clutch vs the final price of my recently purchased 47,000 mile 2001 C4. Personally I would not have purchased a single row 996 without the upgrade and pre check first so that is why my dealer had it done for me prior to taking delivery. My dealer is a friend and after speaking with his preferred indy shop and two Porsche dealers agreed with my position.
My dealers preferred Porsche indy will only install LN products.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:05 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by todcp
Charles, Why would you "assume" you know anything about my LN Pro install??
It was I that had the LN Pro installed for 1750 by a Porsche indy. And yes the job was done correctly; thank you for your concern. And I have purchased one of your oil filter adapters and the magnet. I respect LN tremendously but assuming only your certified installers can do and have done this job is absurd. And assuming the job has to cost more makes me think price fixing??
And one of your "certified" installers quoted me a number only 200 higher. But my dealer, who had the job done, before I would agree to complete the purchase, wanted someone "he" trusted to do the pre-qualification. Possibly my dealer has a relationship with this indy that lowers their hourly rate or maybe the certified installers charge too much?
Not my intention to offend. You must have a very well maintained car that didn't need anything extra. Your Indy must have a very low overhead rate and is passing the savings along to his customers. Depending on the car, the job normally takes 10-14 hours, plus parts, so $1750 is a good deal for sure. In my experience, most of the cars that come to us need much more than just an IMS bearing.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:12 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Charles Navarro the price for the ims and clutch tocpd quoted in his post that’s where I got that. Does the seal on the Porsche kit not get eaten up from the acidity of the oil and thus the grease of the bearing melts out and leads to failure?
Do you have any authorized shops in Minneapolis? I think Imola does some of the ims repairs if they aren’t can you recommend anyone here in Minneapolis?
Off the top of my head, I know you have Imola and Auto Edge in your area. Both do IMS installs I'm pretty sure. Have seen lots of registrations from Auto Edge over the years. I recommend contacting multiple shops before deciding which one you believe brings you the most value.

The grease seal itself just impedes exchange of oil in and out of the bearing, but only once the grease seal is compromised (hardening caused by high oil temperatures). If I were to install the factory Porsche bearing, I would still omit the grease seal so that the engine oil can properly lubricate the bearing. However, since a ceramic hybrid bearing has a lower lubrication requirement than conventional bearings, it might not be as critical as with the original factory bearing.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:20 PM
todcp
Instructor

Todcp, to bad I live in Minnesota that was a great price you paid but what is the difference between LN Pro versus the ims solution is your fix have a direct oil feed ? What kind of clutch did you get with that price I doubt it but did that include a new flywheel also?
I went with the LN Pro as I would only be driving this car a few thousand miles per year. In hindsight I would have gone with Solution as I believe the design is far superior.
My clutch was only half worn on my 47,000 mile car so the flywheel was fine.

And apologies to Charles. I went to out to my car and found the invoice from the indy to my dealer for the work completed; I had not reviewed it before but it was in with my purchase paperwork. It appears my dealer ate a chunk of the indy's cost to him. So though my cost was $2300 on my purchase agreement my dealer was charged $2755. 1195 for labor on the LN Pro, Clutch Kit, RMS and Oil Service. Plus parts.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:33 PM
PORSCHEMORCHE
Intermediate

That’s more plausible, my goal is to be able to jump in my car roll the top down start it and be as worry free as possible. I understand this is moving metal and oil lubricates all the moving parts so anything is possible but a known defect can get fixed I’m all for it but I want to not worry about how many miles or whatever. So I think the direct oil feed is for me. Charles your video sure makes it look easy to replace that.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:00 AM
Russ21
Instructor

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
As with all replacement parts sold by Porsche, if they are not installed by the dealer, they are sold with zero warranty.

The only permanent fix is the IMS Solution, which backdates the IMS to a plain, oil fed bearing.

http://www.imssolution.com

The IMS Retrofit, although proven, is a service item, like any other ball or roller bearing replacement.
Hmm! IMS solutions so called Permanent fix only has a five year warranty, hardly permanent, whereas even a single row ome has a life expectancy of between 5 and 20years :-)

Quick Reply: 996 IMS retro fit make the motors safe?