Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Newbie - First Posting

Old 01-11-2018, 12:07 PM
911STYL
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default HID Lights

Originally Posted by RT_955TT_KY View Post
I can give my thoughts on a few of the items.

Lack of heat - most likely an issue of the foam covered mixing flap and other flaps having dried up and blown off. The HVAC flaps are not solid, but have quite a few holes in them and are covered with a foam material when new. As they age, the foam ages and comes off - leaving a flap door filled with holes. Do a search on " foam in vents " for some great info. I fixed mine a few months ago and it's working great.

Headlights - I upgraded from a halogen projector to an HID projector setup and now very happy with the light output. The Retrofit Source is a great resource for tons of info on lighting upgrades.

Searching this forum has provided me with just about all of the answers, and then some, to my questions.

Welcome to the 996 world and good luck.

BTW as far as waxing - Menzerna and Wolfgang are two great products for the German paint.

I went to the Retrofit Source and I was very impressed with there site. The prices a little more expensive but I'm hoping "you get what you pay for" so the 150 USD kit seems to be worth it. I do have a couple of questions of you if I may.
I intend on purchasing the H7: Morimoto Elite, 35watts, 6500k. Do I need the anti-flicker capacitor? It also gives me three choices of wiring harnesses: none - HD Relay H7 and Canbus H7. Which one do I need? I printed the installation guide, although generic it seems to be pretty comprehensive. Is there anything I need to know about the installation? I've installed a couple of HIDs in the past but I'm certainly no expert. Again, your site Retrofit Source is a great resource - should this go well, I will use it for my other cars as well.

Thanks
911STYL
Old 01-11-2018, 12:37 PM
RT_955TT_KY
User

I used a lot of the info from this post http://986forum.com/forums/diy-proje...tructions.html

Mine is a 99 so I didn't have to worry about CAN bus issues. I went with 35w 5k Morimotos and the MiniH1 reflectors. After replacing the halogens in the aftermarket LED headlights that came with my car, I've recently sourced a set of OEM units and in the process of building them.

Old 01-13-2018, 04:34 AM
Randy V
Rennlist Emeritus
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 911STYL View Post
New to Porsche 996 World – I’m coming over from the “dark side”, Corvette World. In Corvette World there are two kinds of owners – the “Waxer” and the “Racer”. I subscribe to being a waxer more than a racer; although I installed a ZO6 motor, cam, catback exhaust and a significant number of ZO6 parts. I’m more concerned with appearance mods than performance – I think. My thoughts about being a new to me owner of a Black, 996, 2003, Cabriolet; impressed and a little disappointed. I’ve been on Rennlist for about a week constantly reading and trying to become a bonafide Porsche owner 😊 Although I’m a bonafide waxer and not racer (at the moment), I have a few newbie questions: Tire and Rim sizes – I have stock tires and rims and I want to modernize. 90% of the rims that I see online come in 19 inch and are not even made in 18 inch. Is there a significant chance of issues going with 19 inch rims vice 18 inch? Heater Controls – The car came with everything except an owner’s manual. I have about six different manuals that came with the car (warranty, maintenance, etc.) but no owner’s manual. I bought the car in Florida and the AC was artic cold. Now that I’m Northern Virginia, the heater is very important. Manipulating the HVAC controls in every configuration I can muster, but the air still blows cold to cool. I don’t know if I am not setting the temperature correctly or if I have some type of mechanical failure. Can you help me out here? Cold Air Intake – I’ve been reading completely contradicting information regarding this subject. One posting will say that aftermarkets are an absolutely necessary and they add X amount of horsepower and torque whereas the very next post will say the stock intake system is technically sound and better are than aftermarkets. I see a lot of information on FABSPEED and they all are running north of 800 dollars. K&N is more in the user-friendly category mid-300 dollar range. What are your thoughts on intake systems? Headlights – On the drive back from Florida to Virginia, the yellow headlights just were not doing it for me. I would prefer more of a white light (not blue). This seems to be another subject that creates a firestorm on the forum. I’m not a good wrench turner nor am I an electrical engineer so I really just want something bright and white in a “plug and play” situation. Do you have any recommendations on headlights? Shocks versus Coilovers – I would like to lower the car and improve the ride as well. I currently have 80k on the original shocks. The likelihood of me being on the track is remote as this is my daily driver. Buying 3k dollar coilovers doesn’t seem prudent as again, I95 is the most aggressive I will drive and in Northern VA, I95 is a parking lot most of the time during commute hours – do you have a recommendation for a guy who likes to drive aggressively (semi-legally) but not much of a track guy? Heated Seats – I do not have heated seats. It gets cold AF in Northern VA in the winter and I assumed the car would have heated seats but you know what we say about assumptions. Any recommendations on aftermarket seat warmers? Exhaust Modification – I intend on having the exhaust by-pass mode done. In Corvette world, it’s called an AA mod. Going to a Midas or the sort is the plan. Of my Northern Virginia compatriots, do you have a recommended shop. I’m not overly concerned with performance at this point – looking more for sound. Porsche Language – 996, MR2 versus MR1, etc. etc. etc. You must agree that you have your own language. In the Corvette forum there is a running acronym listing that helps newbies like me – something you veterans may want to consider. Porsche Sources – what are the best sources for parts and accessories. I’ve laughed at some of the postings that complain about the costs of parts, etc. It seems that similarly in Porsche World as it is in Corvette World there is a significant Porsche tax associated with it. I’ve seen rotors alone at 1500 dollars and carbon fiber spoilers north of 7000 dollars. Are there sane sites out there to pay a decent price for a decent product?
Fear – The white elephant in the room, the IMS bearing. I have a 2003, 996 with just over 80k on the clock. I don’t know if the IMS bearing has been replaced. Is there any way of telling if it has been? If it hasn’t been replaced, should I just cross my fingers and hope for the best or should I replace it now? While I’m replacing the IMS bearing should I do anything else as well?
Spoilers – I love the speed activated rear spoiler. However, I would like to add an aftermarket spoiler that has some functionality but moreso for aesthetic appeal. I’m not interested in 1000s of dollars carbon fiber – just something that doesn’t look like an “ironing board” attached to the trunk and allows the speed activated spoiler to continue to work without issues.
Codes – As I don’t have my owner’s manual yet (ordered), how can I check for failure codes in the Porsche?
Welcome to the party, pal!

Paragraphs are your friend.

Yeah, I know...
Old 01-15-2018, 01:09 AM
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I put in the 55W 6000 Kensun HIDs. Pretty easy except I had polarity wrong on the first one. I just jammed everything including the ballast into the assembly and closed the headlight lid. Little tight but worked...After the test run I took headlight out again and check ballast temperature and it was just warm to touch so I think that should be OK as well. Was thinking of moving it to the outside of the lid but that would have been more work...drilling holes etc. This was the easy way out . 6000 was the perfect temperature. Thanks for all the help in this thread.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:18 AM
911STYL
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Semi-Happy Camper

Originally Posted by 911STYL View Post
I went to the Retrofit Source and I was very impressed with there site. The prices a little more expensive but I'm hoping "you get what you pay for" so the 150 USD kit seems to be worth it. I do have a couple of questions of you if I may.
I intend on purchasing the H7: Morimoto Elite, 35watts, 6500k. Do I need the anti-flicker capacitor? It also gives me three choices of wiring harnesses: none - HD Relay H7 and Canbus H7. Which one do I need? I printed the installation guide, although generic it seems to be pretty comprehensive. Is there anything I need to know about the installation? I've installed a couple of HIDs in the past but I'm certainly no expert. Again, your site Retrofit Source is a great resource - should this go well, I will use it for my other cars as well.

Thanks
911STYL

Installed the Morimotos yesterday and I'm happy about the installation. I went with 35 watt ballast and 55k bulbs. Completely happy with the color, and the light output. The apparent quality of the equipment seems much better than other HIDs I've dealt with but more expensive than others.

Installed the heated seats as well. Extremely happy with the heat the pads put out - in fact they may get a little too warm. I did get "burned". I got the dreaded airbag light. After the fact I read on this site to disconnect the battery before removing the seats. After the fact I disconnected the battery for ten minutes hoping it would reset - no luck. Is there any option that I can do or is this a trip to the dealership?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:46 AM
RT_955TT_KY
User

Glad to hear the HID install went well. Which heated seat kit/parts did you install?

The airbag light can be reset with most of the major advanced OBD tools. I used Durametric and SnapOn, but I know others will work as well. If you don't have one yet, I would recommend getting one as one trip to the dealer will cover all or most of the cost of a suitable scan tool. Good luck.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:19 AM
911STYL
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Heated Seats

Originally Posted by RT_955TT_KY View Post
Glad to hear the HID install went well. Which heated seat kit/parts did you install?

The airbag light can be reset with most of the major advanced OBD tools. I used Durametric and SnapOn, but I know others will work as well. If you don't have one yet, I would recommend getting one as one trip to the dealer will cover all or most of the cost of a suitable scan tool. Good luck.
Amazon.com
Watercarbon 12v Premium Heated Seats for Two Seats Universal - $63.99
They have two settings.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:52 PM
porschedog
Addict
Rennlist Member

Welcome to the Dark Side

RE 18" vs 19" wheels - several years ago some folks were of the opinion 19" wheels could somehow result in cracked windshields. I do not recall the reasoning behind all this, but as I was happy with my 18s I stayed stock.

(good info on HIDs - I need to bookmark this)