996 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: LN Engineering

Newbie - First Posting

Old 01-03-2018, 04:18 PM
Anestheticg
User

Originally Posted by rolex11 View Post
Any chance you could point out what kit over on ebay you ordered. I looked and my head started spinning. I know zero about electrical thingy's. But with the DIY pdf. I have a chance.

Thanks.
i have to take a look at the packaging I may have around when i get home. I ordered 5k 55w and I’m pretty sure one of the bulbs was 6k. Good customer service and sent me 2 new bulbs but haven’t bothered to swap em as it’s so subtle and I don’t want to mess with the headlights housings again. Will let you know ASAP. Btw I got a 16570, 116610LV, and blue 326934.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:39 PM
cds72911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do the LED heat sink/fans/etc fit in the 996 housings? If so, this could be a nice upgrade. I've had the upgraded LED bulbs on a couple of motorcycles and they're a lot better than the stock halogens.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:39 PM
rolex11
User

Originally Posted by Anestheticg View Post

i have to take a look at the packaging I may have around when i get home. I ordered 5k 55w and I’m pretty sure one of the bulbs was 6k. Good customer service and sent me 2 new bulbs but haven’t bothered to swap em as it’s so subtle and I don’t want to mess with the headlights housings again. Will let you know ASAP. Btw I got a 16570, 116610LV, and blue 326934.
Cool. Would help to know what, and from which vendor you got yours.

Very much into horology and own more than a few high end pieces, but not a Rolex in the bunch.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:25 AM
tomcat
Addict
Rennlist Member

i took off an LL Tek CAI that came with my car when I got it. If you are interested, let me know. I’m across the river.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:12 AM
dan_189
Super User

Welcome,

FWIW there is a write-up somewhere that someone's done on installing heated seats ill try and find it. It is possible just not easy.

Spoilers for your car there are a few available for OEM options check out the tequipment brochure which outlines everything. There are also pleanty of options too.

​​The lingo just takes time, you'll get there!

Also you can download a PDF manual for free or grab one off ebay.
​​​​​​
Old 01-04-2018, 10:22 AM
Anestheticg
User

Originally Posted by rolex11 View Post
Cool. Would help to know what, and from which vendor you got yours.

Very much into horology and own more than a few high end pieces, but not a Rolex in the bunch.
surprising given your handle 😂. Anyway, this is the website I ordered from. It will tell you bulb size (I believe C2 is H7 size) and I got 5k 55w

https://kensun.com/

Last edited by Anestheticg; 01-04-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:10 PM
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member

surprising given your handle 😂. Anyway, this is the website I ordered from. It will tell you bulb size (I believe C2 is H7 size) and I got 5k 55w

https://kensun.com/
Was there any customization that was needed with mounting or connectors? Did you just stuff the ballast inside the headlight assembly? Do you get a fault code for using less power? Once you answer this I am ordering this system.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:39 PM
Anestheticg
User

Originally Posted by lowpue View Post
Was there any customization that was needed with mounting or connectors? Did you just stuff the ballast inside the headlight assembly? Do you get a fault code for using less power? Once you answer this I am ordering this system.
i mounted ballast outside headlight assembly. They were zip tied to other lines outside assembly. You have to cut a small hole to run wires through on the black back plate of the housing. Or you can put them in housing but they may get warm. No fault codes. Good luck
Old 01-05-2018, 12:50 PM
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member

i mounted ballast outside headlight assembly. They were zip tied to other lines outside assembly. You have to cut a small hole to run wires through on the black back plate of the housing. Or you can put them in housing but they may get warm. No fault codes. Good luck
I am going to ask a dumb question: H7 is low beam only (I think), what did you do with high beam? Not even sure I know where the high beam is on 996.1?
Old 01-05-2018, 01:10 PM
cds72911
Addict
Rennlist Member

To the best of my knowledge, the high, low and fog bulbs are all H7 (three of them, six total), they just have different reflectors. You access them all, by removing the lens assembly from the vehicle, and popping off the protective cover at the back.

The LED retrofits I've used are plug and play in factory housings (unlike the bi-xenon projector HIDs I've done, which require surgery: lens removal, dremel work, etc.). The main question I have is whether there is room for the bulky back of the LED light assembly in the factory housings of the 996.

LEDs throw a lot of light, but if you can get away with it where you live, bi-xenon projector HIDs have a lot more usable light and clean cutoff on the low beam setting. My state has gotten draconian about DOT marked lenses, so it is harder to make upgrades like this anymore. I've had annual safety inspections fail with LED lights - even though they were clearly superior to OEM halogens - on a technicality of our inspection regs.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:00 PM
Anestheticg
User

Originally Posted by lowpue View Post
I am going to ask a dumb question: H7 is low beam only (I think), what did you do with high beam? Not even sure I know where the high beam is on 996.1?
i just did the low beam bulb swap. They are aimed appropriately and super bright. I left the stock bulbs for brights and when on they cast the beam higher but it is so dim in camparison to the HID that they are pretty much redundant and not needed
Old 01-05-2018, 04:18 PM
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member

i just did the low beam bulb swap. They are aimed appropriately and super bright. I left the stock bulbs for brights and when on they cast the beam higher but it is so dim in camparison to the HID that they are pretty much redundant and not needed
Do you have any issues with blinding people....
So then here is my next question....Would it make sense to use 35W HIDs for low beam and 55W HIDs for high beam. THis way the low beams are not too blinding? I am asking all of these questions since I will be buying a set this weekend.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:56 PM
Anestheticg
User

I suppose you could do that. 55w is probably a bit overkill. I opted to not swap out high beams because of the type of driving I do. I usually only need to flash someone rarely and HID have that brief warm up period that makes them impractical for that use. I have never been flashed by people thinking I have my high beams on. My low beams HID are very bright but they are aimed appropriately. I think a higher riding suv with LED a la Acura MDX is more of s safety issue than my retro fit 55w bulbs
Old 01-06-2018, 01:48 AM
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I suppose you could do that. 55w is probably a bit overkill. I opted to not swap out high beams because of the type of driving I do. I usually only need to flash someone rarely and HID have that brief warm up period that makes them impractical for that use. I have never been flashed by people thinking I have my high beams on. My low beams HID are very bright but they are aimed appropriately. I think a higher riding suv with LED a la Acura MDX is more of s safety issue than my retro fit 55w bulbs
You are a wealth of information Thank you. One last question....how long does it take the HID to warm up?
Old 01-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Anestheticg
User

Around 3-5 seconds

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie - First Posting

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: