Sponsored by:

should I buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 06:15 PM
danix
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default should I buy this?

I've always wanted a 911 and on a hot Sunday evening, beer in hand, I bid on a car at the last minute, mainly thinking I was helping the seller as there's no way it would sell for that cheap. I ended up winning. Seller (bless his heart) will let me out of the deal if I want, so I'm trying to decide.
Pros: nice color combo, described well with long ownership and maintenance. Low price.
Cons: salvage title (at least in CA) and some odometer/clerical stuff.

My Porsche buddies are selling me to steer clear, saying there's a reason it was cheap and no one outbid me. I'm still on the fence. I know the title impacts value, but I don't see any other cars of this caliber and miles for anywhere near this price.
Your thoughts? 2001 C2
Old 07-13-2020, 06:32 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 383 Posts

Go with your gut, pass on this one, they'll always be another.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:09 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

What was the winning bid? I see "low price" but how low are we talking?
Old 07-13-2020, 07:21 PM
danix
Rennlist Member

Old 07-13-2020, 07:35 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

I'm also curious what "Odometer stuff" means, in my head that could be a major headache trying to get registered. Your Porsche buddies are right that this a cheaper 996 for a reason... Do you have the desire for the car to remain a $15,000 car? I think that is unrealistic. If you're fine with your $15,000 car becoming a $25,000 (+) car then hell yeah man go for it. It reads like you're well aware it's not going to be headache-free. If you feel like you can tolerate the headaches that will come then there's no reason not to pick up a cheap little toy of this caliber.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:41 PM
danix
Rennlist Member

It's all in the auction details in the link above. At some point, it picked up a salvage title and had an odometer issue (said to be a clerical error, I do know this happens).
The appeal for me is the low price, 7+ years of documented ownership and maintenance. But, branded title (at least in CA) will effect the value forever.
In my mind, a 996 that has had IMS done, clutch and flywheel and suspension replaced, should be pretty straightforward to run and own (with DIY maintenance where possible).
But that's in my mind...
Old 07-13-2020, 08:15 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

Odometer discrepancy doesn't cause a salvage title.

If you're really keen on it, get a good PPI done somewhere. Without knowing what caused the salvage status, I would pass.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:22 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

If you posted a "winning bid" in a public auction site for the car, you are already legally bound to buy it and can't back out unless you negotiate terms w/the seller to do so which the seller is NOT obligated to accept.

You can reneg/refuse to payand the selller can sue you for payment due based on your winning bid but s/he is also obligated to "mitigate" damages by attempting to resell the car and, if the resale price is less than your bid, you will owe the difference.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:00 PM
danix
Rennlist Member

Seller said he'd cancel if I wanted, he was looking for more money anyway I think. But ebay motors bids are non binding: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/r...policy?id=4228
Regardless of any of that, I decided with Covid on the increase it was stupid to board a plane with my kid and drive home for 3-4 days across states, so I asked him to cancel.
I still think it's a great car for someone.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:36 AM
Subourbonite
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

@danix PM me and I can send you my contact info if you want to consider buying this car. I'm local to TPWS and have a friend who bought his aircooled from the owner. Can definitely inquire with them about the car's history if you want.

In honor of Emilio Morricone though, let's take a closer look at this car.

The GOOD
Looks to be well kept if service records check out
Arctic Silver is a pretty color
Carbon e-brake and shift **** are worth some money on their own
TPWS is a well known and well respected shop in Austin and the owner has a bit of a crusty reputation for doing things right or telling you to find another shop to do the work. I would trust their work if their hands have truly been on this car regularly.

The BAD
In case anyone had any misconceptions, this is NOT a 40AE car...those would be 2004 MY
Arctic Silver (92U) is NOT (as shown in the eBay ad) the 40AE paint color...that would be GT Silver (M7Z)
Third radiator upfront says one of a couple things...automatic trans...increased cooling maybe for some track work...or front end damage and replaced with facelift bumper while you're in there.
The curtains don't match the drapes as some would say...headlights are 996.2, but instrument console is 996.1.
The Turbo front bumper and the 911 emblem on the engine cover feels like someone was trying to pull this off as a 40AE
Three-spoke steering wheel would have been an option on 2001 as it didn't become standard until 996.2. I don't see that in owner's list of Option Codes. Was the wheel swapped? Why?
How old are the pics? Car is showing 2018 and 2015 registration stickers. Has this been off the road this long? Are these pics "borrowed"? AutoCheck report shows registrations in 2019 & 2020. Nobody was driving this for two years with a 2018 registration sticker.

The UGLY
Wow!! That price...$14.5K!! If the car is for real that's a steal!

Lots of things that would make me put my running shoes on with this one, but hey...there's always the needle in the haystack...right?
The following users liked this post:
danix (07-29-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 02:52 AM
jbob42
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like you already made your choice, @danix, but as someone who just went through the same thing:
Winner of auction backed out, so it was left to me (2nd place bidder). I had the chance to back out of a 2000 C4 Millenium Edition - high mileage instead of salvage title.

The main thing i would have done would be to ask the seller if an independent mechanic could do a PPI on it before agreeing. I had the opportunity to do so, i just didn't realize. I only got 400 miles on mine before as @Dr_Strangelove put it, I had to be ok with my "$15,000 car becoming a $25,000 (+) car". At least then I would have been prepped for what wasn't apparent when the car was delivered.

My current take on it:
These are a freaking joy to drive... sure I'll be underwater if I put some $$ into it - but there's more to life than the balance sheets

The following 2 users liked this post by jbob42:
Gingerman (07-14-2020), paddlefoot64 (07-14-2020)
Old 07-14-2020, 06:00 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by jbob42;16771935[color=#222222
- but there's more to life than the balance sheets [/color]
Ain't that the truth. Good quote.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:19 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 274 Posts

I would have called TWPS and asked about the car. If they blessed it, I'd take a shot at $14.5k.
I bet the only reason why the seller is allowing you to back out is because he thinks he can get more for it. I think you could part it out and get close to 14.5.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:30 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 336 Likes on 243 Posts

I always had a rule when it came to buying cars. If I'm in doubt, I walk away. You should walk.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:33 AM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Why does it have a salvage title? An accident that "totaled" the car, or flooding? I'd consider a car with a salvage title if its the former reason, but not the second.

Updates and modifications happen for mainly two reasons: a guy likes fiddling with his car, or he's trying to hide something. Again, I don't necessarily think its disqualifying to have a different front bumper or steering wheel, but it should affect price if you want to buy an "original" car.

The shop that did maintenance is your best bet. Don't listen to their opinion, listen to what they've had to do to this car. I'd say walk away if you were in doubt, but this thing is cheap.

Quick Reply: should I buy this?