996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New Member/Owner : Any advice / recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 09:27 PM
texcwa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a few recommendations to consider and since your a member you can use the search for allot of info and help :
  • Clean your radiators, this is something that's always forgotten and is an easy DIY with no costs.
  • Re-route your manual frunk and engine hood manual cables "in case you lose power" again no cost.
  • At your 60k Service, replace your water pump, many will say low temp thermostat also but read up on this.
  • Check your AOS by way of crank case pressure test "AOS also has sines of failure by smoke from exhaust".
  • Check your drain tubes both in frunk and for top, if they get plugged can cause havoc.
  • Check your engine mounts, fairly inexpensive and a DIY job.
  • Do your own oil changes, cut open filter and inspect, send oil sample for analysis (only $28.00 from Blackstone), Opening filter yourself is very gratifying and you get to see for yourself how your engine is doing.

There are many other things that this site is very helpful on.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:32 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by texcwa
I have a few recommendations to consider and since your a member you can use the search for allot of info and help :
  • Clean your radiators, this is something that's always forgotten and is an easy DIY with no costs.
  • Re-route your manual frunk and engine hood manual cables "in case you lose power" again no cost.
  • At your 60k Service, replace your water pump, many will say low temp thermostat also but read up on this.
  • Check your AOS by way of crank case pressure test "AOS also has sines of failure by smoke from exhaust".
  • Check your drain tubes both in frunk and for top, if they get plugged can cause havoc.
  • Check your engine mounts, fairly inexpensive and a DIY job.
  • Do your own oil changes, cut open filter and inspect, send oil sample for analysis (only $28.00 from Blackstone), Opening filter yourself is very gratifying and you get to see for yourself how your engine is doing.

There are many other things that this site is very helpful on.
Excellent. Thanks again for the great info. I'll defiitely continue to read all I can (I spent what felt like 17 days reading every post in Cuda911's thread hahaha... really leads you to question the validity of any kind of PM ... j/k).

I just want to make sure I maximize my first visit to TuneRS when I send it in for the DOF. They're already going to do the RMS/IMS. I didnt know how much more I wanted to tack on to that bill. AOS? Water Pump? Spec Clutch? Flywheel? ...etc..

After that 1st visit and at least some peace of mind from the IMS repair, I can definitely do alot of the DIY stuff myself. I'm no stranger to mechanics. I wrench on most of my own stuff (outboard motors, radars, depth sounders, audio equipment, 2 stroke engine rebuilds (outboards, motocross and pwc engines), 4 stroke engine rebuilds (motocross and atc engines), carburetors, ignition systems, ...etc.

I know enough to know that I dont know enough yet about the M96/97 motors to do a large, critical repair just yet. I need to wade into deeper waters slowly..

I'll probably start with simple stuff like intakes/plenums/double-din/etc (obviously oil changes and minor maintenance like that as well).

I'm looking forward to the oil changes and cutting filters and analyzing.. reminds me of my dam 6.0 Powerstroke days...
Old 12-21-2017, 11:54 PM
HawkFan#12
Pro

Welcome! Don’t take things personally. Some people have too much time on their hands, but this site is a great resource!
Old 12-22-2017, 08:39 AM
th964
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome! I recently bought a 04 C4S after several years of 964 ownership... I spent a lot of time researching the 996 and love the value you get with this series! I bought mine out of state but was able to inspect it before I purchased it with 38K miles. Like you I wanted to address the IMS right away. I used a local shop here in the DC Metro area to do the following: IMS Solution install, RMS, air/oil separator, Clutch, Fly-wheel, Clutch Slave Cylinder, water pump, low-temp thermostat, drive shaft flex disc, coil packs, plugs, new battery and a few other things too. I also bought a set of refurbed winter wheels and new winter tires so I can use it year round. While it added up quickly I wanted to get everything squared away so I could enjoy it! Good luck and hope to see an update soon!
Old 12-22-2017, 08:56 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by th964
Welcome! I recently bought a 04 C4S after several years of 964 ownership... I spent a lot of time researching the 996 and love the value you get with this series! I bought mine out of state but was able to inspect it before I purchased it with 38K miles. Like you I wanted to address the IMS right away. I used a local shop here in the DC Metro area to do the following: IMS Solution install, RMS, air/oil separator, Clutch, Fly-wheel, Clutch Slave Cylinder, water pump, low-temp thermostat, drive shaft flex disc, coil packs, plugs, new battery and a few other things too. I also bought a set of refurbed winter wheels and new winter tires so I can use it year round. While it added up quickly I wanted to get everything squared away so I could enjoy it! Good luck and hope to see an update soon!
Nice! Thanks for that input. For my first pass, I was trying to get all the tranny-related stuff done as from what I understand, they don't have to drop the engine.

I'm trying to keep my first indy visit cost under the price of the car itself hahaha. :-)
Old 12-22-2017, 11:18 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by yamasaki
Thanks for all the positive private messages. My faith in humanity has been restored. lol.

reopening my thread.. was just bummed my first thread degraded into negativity in .000003 seconds.

lets move on..
No worries, it's a good bunch here. Just stick up for yourself and all is fine. And, don't build your own IMSB in your garage.

53K miles for 20K, sounds like you did very well in the purchase!
Old 12-22-2017, 11:25 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cuda911
No worries, it's a good bunch here. Just stick up for yourself and all is fine. And, don't build your own IMSB in your garage.

53K miles for 20K, sounds like you did very well in the purchase!
Thank you ...

It hasn't been shipped yet. We're having trouble finding a shipper (due to the holidays), so, I'm not really sure exactly what I got myself into yet. Car is still 1,500 miles away. hahaha.

After everything you've been through, you're probably laughing like "aww man, thats nothing, let me tell you a story.... " :-)

I was actually hoping Mr. Raby was going to use your motor for one of his classes. I was bummed to see he didnt get it in time.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:41 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Thank you ...

It hasn't been shipped yet. We're having trouble finding a shipper (due to the holidays), so, I'm not really sure exactly what I got myself into yet. Car is still 1,500 miles away. hahaha.

After everything you've been through, you're probably laughing like "aww man, thats nothing, let me tell you a story.... " :-)

I was actually hoping Mr. Raby was going to use your motor for one of his classes. I was bummed to see he didnt get it in time.
Ha! Want some stories? Haven't even posted here about my Boxster issues. Today's bill was $4,368. Last month it was $2000, and the month before it was $1,500. Figured WRONG that Boxster racing would be more affordable than 996 racing. I need to find a good place to hide the invoices from the Sig Other.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:45 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Ha! Want some stories? Haven't even posted here about my Boxster issues. Today's bill was $4,368. Last month it was $2000, and the month before it was $1,500. Figured WRONG that Boxster racing would be more affordable than 996 racing. I need to find a good place to hide the invoices from the Sig Other.
LOL.. i figure mine will let me back in the bedroom after another 3-4 days... Yesterday I finally gave her the "honey i just bought a porsche" speech. hahaha
Old 12-22-2017, 11:55 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Thank you ...

Mr Raby does have a good shipper if needed.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:11 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Mr Raby does have a good shipper if needed.
I'll know for sure next week after the holiday. I worked delivery into my deal, so, they're taking care of it on their end. They ship high end cars all over the place all the time, so, I'm sure they'll be able to handle this. The guy I'm working with was saying that it probably just hasn't gotten picked up by someone coming this way yet because noone's taking loads this far south right now because of the holidays. I think that sounds logical/reasonable. Hopefully I can get it onto a truck next week and if all goes well have it here sometime around the new year.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:40 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

LOL.. i figure mine will let me back in the bedroom after another 3-4 days... Yesterday I finally gave her the "honey i just bought a porsche" speech. hahaha
I dyin' to know how she responded. ha! Please elaborate.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:43 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Let me get this straight ... you put about $8,000 in a car that's worth about $8,000? Saaaaweet!

oh, and please teach me how to purchase and maintain Porsches without the "sig other" knowing. I'm all ears.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:58 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Thank you ...

Save some $ on the shipper and buy yourself a airline ticket, and drive the car home! It's a great way to bond with it and learn all the little noises and idiosyncrasies of your "new" baby...
Old 12-23-2017, 05:15 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Originally Posted by dporto
Save some $ on the shipper and buy yourself a airline ticket, and drive the car home! It's a great way to bond with it and learn all the little noises and idiosyncrasies of your "new" baby...
The dealer picked up the tab on the shipping, so, our agreed number included whatever it cost them to ship.

If i didn't know what an IMS was, I would totally drive it home. I bought a motorcyle on ebay 20 years ago and drove it home across about 8 states. Best road trip ever. However, if you told me there was this bearing in the engine that could explode and tear a hole in the space/time continuum, I never would've done it.

I could just picture myself driving the 996 home with the radio and a/c off, biting my nails, and straining to hear every sound the engine makes. lol. i cant do it. i'm driving it from the back of the truck straight to the indy for the DOF IMS kit install.

Quick Reply: New Member/Owner : Any advice / recommendations