Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

99' 996 C2 Tuning?!? Not Available?!?

Old 12-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 99' 996 C2 Tuning?!? Not Available?!?

From what I gather a tune is no longer possible for my 99'. Flashes were done by soldering in a physical chip. I was hoping to have a Flash performed via mail... I guess I will just have to drive it and hope its good. Does anyone know of any companies still doing computer work on these old style ECU's? I waited to do the computer last, I guess I should have gotten it taken care of first. Anyone know if my car will be safe as is? Currently has Fabspeed Intake, IPD Plenum, Underdrive Pulley, "Big Bore" High-Flow Catted X Pipe, and Fabspeed Maxflow Mufflers. Sounds Decent and is fun to drive, was just hoping for a little more pep... Thanks for your time.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Not to turn this sideways - but on a relatively low HP NA car like the 3.4 - would a tune even be noticeable?
Old 12-20-2017, 10:34 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Softronic and Accessport (I think) advertise a performance tune for the 996. They both advertise in Porsche Panorama. I don't know where you got your information but our ECU's can be flash programmed. And Fabspeed as well.
www.softronicsoftware.com
https://www.cobbtuning.com/landingpage/porsche/
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-required.html
Old 12-20-2017, 10:52 AM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

I appreciate the info, The Tuner I called in Phoenix is no longer supporting the drive by cable...
I called Fabspeed back in October and they told me it is no longer available.
Cobb Doesn't Support the Drive by Cable.
I'm going to get ahold of Softronics and see what they can do for me...
Thank you for the Prompt Response!
Old 12-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Tunes on a TT are amazing. Tunes on a 3.4L 996 are very underwhelming.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I find that Tunes come in just fine as long as I'm within range of the radio station, otherwise I need to find a new station.😜
Old 12-21-2017, 12:33 PM
joe-1972
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.markskituning.com/

Markski Is the guy you want to call to try to help you out.
He does not do much for the NA 996's but hes incredibly knowledgeable about the tunes and the chip sets.
He might even be able to find a clean unit to wok for you.

Let him know we sent you ...
Old 12-21-2017, 01:21 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,665 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
I find that Tunes come in just fine as long as I'm within range of the radio station, otherwise I need to find a new station.😜
I was about to recommend iTunes, but you have a better recommendation Astro! bwahahahahaa!!!!

OP, good luck with trying to squeeze out more performance out of your engine, but be careful, I've read a couple of heartbreaks in the last year where owners were trying to mod up the engine beyond the factory performance limits.

I wish I could remember the name of the recent thread where the guy added a turbo to the M96 engine and it blew up immediately on the track. Talk about a story that exploded into epic proportions.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:55 PM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

Thank you Joe, I will give that a shot!
Old 12-21-2017, 02:42 PM
B-ran
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
I was about to recommend iTunes, but you have a better recommendation Astro! bwahahahahaa!!!!

OP, good luck with trying to squeeze out more performance out of your engine, but be careful, I've read a couple of heartbreaks in the last year where owners were trying to mod up the engine beyond the factory performance limits.

I wish I could remember the name of the recent thread where the guy added a turbo to the M96 engine and it blew up immediately on the track. Talk about a story that exploded into epic proportions.
Such slander b3, 996s only explode for glory when they know they'll get a super duper rebuild with many more liters. Duh...
Old 12-21-2017, 04:58 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak

I don't buy your story one bit, mostly because we all know that turbo 996's are far more stout than any regular ol' NA M96. Sure sure sure, some come from the manufacturer turbo'd, but why the hell does that make a difference! TURBO!
Old 12-21-2017, 10:37 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billup
I don't buy your story one bit, mostly because we all know that turbo 996's are far more stout than any regular ol' NA M96. Sure sure sure, some come from the manufacturer turbo'd, but why the hell does that make a difference! TURBO!
i thought the turbo motors were different than the NA motors, or, is that a different family/generation of motors? From what I remember (or thought i read somewhere), the TT motors come from the GTx series,so, they're better/stouter motors? Or, is that just the 997 generation?
Old 12-21-2017, 10:47 PM
MoeMonney
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 127 Posts

Softronic and others have tunes for the 99.

Heres is softronics specific tune for the 99. ECU has to be sent to softronic. http://www.softronicsoftware.com/996...tware-1998-99/
Old 12-21-2017, 11:04 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by yamasaki
i thought the turbo motors were different than the NA motors, or, is that a different family/generation of motors? From what I remember (or thought i read somewhere), the TT motors come from the GTx series,so, they're better/stouter motors? Or, is that just the 997 generation?
He was kidding. The TT motors are built like tanks and can handle the boost. The M96 can't.
Old 12-22-2017, 08:04 AM
yamasaki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slakker
He was kidding. The TT motors are built like tanks and can handle the boost. The M96 can't.
Gotcha. Hahaha. I thought twice about typing that. I shouldve known better. lol.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99' 996 C2 Tuning?!? Not Available?!?