Sponsored by:

Gutting Muffler

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 03:41 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts
Default Gutting Muffler

There is a mod that some folks do which is opening up muffler and gutting it. Makes things lighter and some say sounds better than Gundo. Has anyone done this? What is exactly that gets done? Are all of the internals taken out or just baffles? Anyone have experience.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:04 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, had it done years ago by Hergesheimer MotorSports in Lake Forest, CA.. The sound was great, especially combined with 200 cell cats. Mufflers were very very light and------in opinion----- after trying various combinations of exhaust components, these actually felt like they increased performance with NO loss of low-end power or torque (and this was prior to the 200 cell cat install). Yes, mufflers were cut in half and entire insides removed then welded back. I had this done on mufflers from a 2003 996 (MK2) but installed them on my 1999 996.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:33 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pmkazz
Yes, had it done years ago by Hergesheimer MotorSports in Lake Forest, CA.. The sound was great, especially combined with 200 cell cats. Mufflers were very very light and------in opinion----- after trying various combinations of exhaust components, these actually felt like they increased performance with NO loss of low-end power or torque (and this was prior to the 200 cell cat install). Yes, mufflers were cut in half and entire insides removed then welded back. I had this done on mufflers from a 2003 996 (MK2) but installed them on my 1999 996.
Hey good to see you still around pmk...You were the one I remember telling me a few years back. So everything, baffles and pipe are all removed? I have a set with something loose inside. THought I would experiment and gut it with a buddy who can weld.

I am glad to see you still have your Aero...white is quite unique.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:56 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowpue
Hey good to see you still around pmk...You were the one I remember telling me a few years back. So everything, baffles and pipe are all removed? I have a set with something loose inside. THought I would experiment and gut it with a buddy who can weld.

I am glad to see you still have your Aero...white is quite unique.

Hi Lowpue. Yep still around and still have the Aero. The only difference is that it now resides in Las Vegas with me. Love the car and its looks. Always loved the original MK1 GT3 look.. And yes, regarding the mufflers...Everything is removed from inside the mufflers. It is a little bit of work and somewhat messy based on cutting and grinding.. Here is a picture of how the mufflers were cut and then re-welded. Let me know how the muffler experiment works.

Also, good luck with your new engine project. Sounds very very exciting and I will be looking forward to the go-along and the completion.

Peter

Old 12-19-2017, 07:22 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the picture...I will do this in the spring. Btw...I Still have my yellow Aero....blew the engine this summer on the track and I could not part with the car. Still one of my favorite 911s (unlike most others who are not fond of Mk1s. So I opted for a 997 3.8 to be installed. Just about finished with a tune and a custom exhaust. Expect 420 Hp out of it. Here is a picture....you'll note I added a MK2 bumper since it seems to integrate nicely with Mk1 rockers.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:23 PM
charha01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Lowpue. Yep still around and still have the Aero. The only difference is that it now resides in Las Vegas with me. Love the car and its looks. Always loved the original MK1 GT3 look.. And yes, regarding the mufflers...Everything is removed from inside the mufflers. It is a little bit of work and somewhat messy based on cutting and grinding.. Here is a picture of how the mufflers were cut and then re-welded. Let me know how the muffler experiment works.

Also, good luck with your new engine project. Sounds very very exciting and I will be looking forward to the go-along and the completion.

Peter

What are the mufflers made of? Is it stainless?
Old 12-19-2017, 08:56 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowpue
Thanks for the picture...I will do this in the spring. Btw...I Still have my yellow Aero....blew the engine this summer on the track and I could not part with the car. Still one of my favorite 911s (unlike most others who are not fond of Mk1s. So I opted for a 997 3.8 to be installed. Just about finished with a tune and a custom exhaust. Expect 420 Hp out of it. Here is a picture....you'll note I added a MK2 bumper since it seems to integrate nicely with Mk1 rockers.

I know. I am a big fan of the MK1 aero cars as well. Just love the look especially from the back. I Like the MK2 bumper. That looks real good. Plus you can use the OEM MK2 exhaust tips if you want. I have been following your tales regarding the new engine build, etc. Sounds exciting.. Who is doing the engine for you? Or shall I say, who did the engine for you?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:51 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Dundon Motorsports.... Charles is an engine Genius....

And I am having the stock MK2 tips welded on to the custom exhaust. THey are a bit longer than the Mk1 tips and need to be because of the shape of the bumper...Was considering custom tips but want the car to be a sleeper.

Was just in LV...really love the weather out there...any car guy would! :-)
Old 12-20-2017, 03:15 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

The MK2 Tips look much better than the original MK1's so that is a great choice. Make them flat black if you can. Be a good look with the yellow. Next time you are in LV let me know. We can meet up for a hello..

Peter
Old 12-20-2017, 03:19 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by charha01
What are the mufflers made of? Is it stainless?
No. I believe they are steel with some type of coating on them..
Old 12-21-2017, 06:10 AM
speed rII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No. I believe they are steel with some type of coating on them..
996 exhaust is made of ferritic stainless steel. It's magnetic, but still stainless.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:49 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speed rII
996 exhaust is made of ferritic stainless steel. It's magnetic, but still stainless.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:45 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 96 Posts

the exhaust is made of 409 Stainless steel. it has less chromium in it then the 304 used in high performance exhaust systems.
here is a link for a short explanation on the differences.
https://www.maperformance.com/blogs/...-these-details
best results for welding SS, is using TIG, and back purging the part with argon.

Quick Reply: Gutting Muffler