996 C2 street to track??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 12:07 PM
MikeVan35
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 C2 street to track??

Hey Guys,
I've been racing Spec Miata for several years and recently sold my car. I have an '03 996 C2, that I am considering converting to a dedicated track car. It already has JIC adjustable coil overs, cup sway bars, TRG end links. Besides the obvious, installing a deep sump kit and baffle, IMS update (which has not been done and there's 110K on the odometer), what else is recommended? I know a lot of guys DE their 996's but how viable are they as race cars? How are they on tires and what is the flavor of choice? How about brake pads and wear? I know that this will be a much more expensive endeavor than a Miata, but racing never has a finish line in terms of dollars spent. I appreciate your comments. - Mike
Old 05-10-2018, 12:52 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

I have built my 2003 996 C2 as a DE car. I trailer it to the track but it still has license plates and I occasionally drive it on the street, but rarely now.

Here's a list of most of what I have done:

All poly suspension bushings
Solid rear subframe bushings
Wevo semi solid engine mounts
Function First transmission mount insert
Feal 996 C2 coilovers with monoball top mounts (adjustable front top mount) 7K front / 11K rear
GT3 sway bars front and rear with Tarrett drop links
Cup car ride height
Alignment set to -3 camber front and -2.5 camber rear, zero front toe, slight toe in rear
GT3 Euro seats
Schroth GT3 6 point harnesses
Agency Power bolt in roll bar
997 GT3 shifter
997 GT3 master cylinder
Rebuilt all calipers w/ stainless steel pistons and running Ferodo DS1.11 pads with stock ATE rotors
IPD plenum and 997 GT3 throttle body
LN Engineering 2.5 quart deep sump with 997 return tubes and pickup extension, as well as skidplate.
DCT flat bottom large diameter steering wheel
Odyssey 925 lightweight battery in Rennline aluminum mount w/ shut off switch
SoloDL lap timer connected to SmartycamHD mounted on roll bar
Rennline track mats metal floor mats

I have 3 sets of Oz Racing wheels in 18x8.5 front and 18x12 rear. I have Hoosier R7s on two of them and Pilot Sports on the third set for rain tires.

I run Joe Gibbs XP9 oil for the track. Unfortunately it only lasts 750 miles. This has been less of an issue now that I trailer to/from the track.

My car had an LSD installed by a previous owner, I have been told that makes a big difference in these cars but I don't know the difference since I've never drive one w/o it.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:11 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I have built my 2003 996 C2 as a DE car. I trailer it to the track but it still has license plates and I occasionally drive it on the street, but rarely now.

Here's a list of most of what I have done:

All poly suspension bushings
Solid rear subframe bushings
Wevo semi solid engine mounts
Function First transmission mount insert
Feal 996 C2 coilovers with monoball top mounts (adjustable front top mount) 7K front / 11K rear
GT3 sway bars front and rear with Tarrett drop links
Cup car ride height
Alignment set to -3 camber front and -2.5 camber rear, zero front toe, slight toe in rear
GT3 Euro seats
Schroth GT3 6 point harnesses
Agency Power bolt in roll bar
997 GT3 shifter
997 GT3 master cylinder
Rebuilt all calipers w/ stainless steel pistons and running Ferodo DS1.11 pads with stock ATE rotors
IPD plenum and 997 GT3 throttle body
LN Engineering 2.5 quart deep sump with 997 return tubes and pickup extension, as well as skidplate.
DCT flat bottom large diameter steering wheel
Odyssey 925 lightweight battery in Rennline aluminum mount w/ shut off switch
SoloDL lap timer connected to SmartycamHD mounted on roll bar
Rennline track mats metal floor mats

I have 3 sets of Oz Racing wheels in 18x8.5 front and 18x12 rear. I have Hoosier R7s on two of them and Pilot Sports on the third set for rain tires.

I run Joe Gibbs XP9 oil for the track. Unfortunately it only lasts 750 miles. This has been less of an issue now that I trailer to/from the track.

My car had an LSD installed by a previous owner, I have been told that makes a big difference in these cars but I don't know the difference since I've never drive one w/o it.

Hope that helps.
No need to add the center (3rd) radiator?
Old 05-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
No need to add the center (3rd) radiator?
I have thought about it but I don't see my temps get that high really. I do have the low temperature thermostat from LNE installed. Even last summer with ambient temps pushing 100 at the track I didn't feel like the coolant temps were high enough to be concerned about. Maybe I'll put one in the next time I flush the coolant but not in a rush.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I have thought about it but I don't see my temps get that high really. I do have the low temperature thermostat from LNE installed. Even last summer with ambient temps pushing 100 at the track I didn't feel like the coolant temps were high enough to be concerned about. Maybe I'll put one in the next time I flush the coolant but not in a rush.
You have the 3.6, which I believe has better head cooling. My understanding is that head cracking is more common on the 3.4. I am not sure what the actual difference is though.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:44 PM
dkraige
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeVan35
Hey Guys,
I've been racing Spec Miata for several years and recently sold my car. I have an '03 996 C2, that I am considering converting to a dedicated track car. It already has JIC adjustable coil overs, cup sway bars, TRG end links. Besides the obvious, installing a deep sump kit and baffle, IMS update (which has not been done and there's 110K on the odometer), what else is recommended? I know a lot of guys DE their 996's but how viable are they as race cars? How are they on tires and what is the flavor of choice? How about brake pads and wear? I know that this will be a much more expensive endeavor than a Miata, but racing never has a finish line in terms of dollars spent. I appreciate your comments. - Mike
When you say "race car", what is the duration of the events you'll be running? Are we talking DE, or longer races? For DE I think the cars are good to go from the factory, and any improvements you make are just icing on the cake. If you're going to be running longer events, then I think there are possibly more considerations you'd want to take to make sure the car can deal with the extended heat and loads that are going to come from that on the drivetrain and brake systems.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:45 PM
gtred
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on the same path as you. Miata race car for competition and I recently built a '99 c2 996 for a track day car. While I'm still in the process of sorting the suspension on the Porsche (spec 996), my impression was that both of the cars are quite similar; in that both had to be driven as a momentum car. I expected the 996 to be able to really power out of the corner... but was surprised at how the weight of the car really slowed it down. Mine is not nearly as nimble as my sorted Miata, nor is it as fast. I hope to improve on this as I learn the particulars of running this platform... but,after my first time out last week, I was quite humbled.

+1 on the 2qt sump. I had installed a 1/2 qt sump extension + x-51 baffle.... even on re71r's the oil pressure was dropping in the corners.
+1 on the short shifter as the oem shifter is not very quick.
Also, you'll need a good seat as the oem seats don't restrain you well.
You'll have to ask Splitting Atoms about how to fit wide Hoosiers inside the front fender wells without shredding them on the radiator bracket... I suspect he uses an adjustable caster puck in the lca's to help center the tire in the wheel well.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gtred
I'm on the same path as you. Miata race car for competition and I recently built a '99 c2 996 for a track day car. While I'm still in the process of sorting the suspension on the Porsche (spec 996), my impression was that both of the cars are quite similar; in that both had to be driven as a momentum car. I expected the 996 to be able to really power out of the corner... but was surprised at how the weight of the car really slowed it down. Mine is not nearly as nimble as my sorted Miata, nor is it as fast. I hope to improve on this as I learn the particulars of running this platform... but,after my first time out last week, I was quite humbled.

+1 on the 2qt sump. I had installed a 1/2 qt sump extension + x-51 baffle.... even on re71r's the oil pressure was dropping in the corners.
+1 on the short shifter as the oem shifter is not very quick.
Also, you'll need a good seat as the oem seats don't restrain you well.
You'll have to ask Splitting Atoms about how to fit wide Hoosiers inside the front fender wells without shredding them on the radiator bracket... I suspect he uses an adjustable caster puck in the lca's to help center the tire in the wheel well.
+1 on the sump...I had the X51 baffle alone and it did not help. The 2.5 quart has eliminated visible pressure drop in corners, even on slicks.
The following users liked this post:
dmcl111 (07-22-2023)
Old 05-10-2018, 03:43 PM
moburki
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll have to say the LSD made my car a whole different ballgame. Having read many of Slakker's racing exploits, and descriptions of cornering teqniques, I was not able to understand his perspective. That is, until I added LSD. Changed the way I drive it for sure. Enormous improvement in trail braking corners. It is the way these cars are meant to corner. Eye opening. Can't wait to get back out there
+1 on seats and harnesses, I can drive with the wheel instead of hanging on to it.
As far as tires, I'm still having fun on 225F and 255R 17". But I'll step up to 245F 275R 18" for my next set (NT01). I believe that is what the spec guys are running. Also note I'm on OE row030, so a little suspension limited.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:00 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by moburki
I'll have to say the LSD made my car a whole different ballgame. Having read many of Slakker's racing exploits, and descriptions of cornering teqniques, I was not able to understand his perspective. That is, until I added LSD. Changed the way I drive it for sure. Enormous improvement in trail braking corners. It is the way these cars are meant to corner. Eye opening. Can't wait to get back out there
+1 on seats and harnesses, I can drive with the wheel instead of hanging on to it.
As far as tires, I'm still having fun on 225F and 255R 17". But I'll step up to 245F 275R 18" for my next set (NT01). I believe that is what the spec guys are running. Also note I'm on OE row030, so a little suspension limited.
+2 on seats and harnesses....before that I felt like I might fly out the door on corners even w/ sport seats.

FWIW I am running 245 fronts and 315 rears for tires.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:21 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by moburki
Which LSD did you install, cost?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:44 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

I don't see any mention of a LWFW, underdrive pulley or aftermarket CIA.
Did you fellas do these or pass on them?

Any pictures?

My 2003 996 Carrera Aero
Complete Techart/Bilsten Suspension including front strut brace, sway bars and Tarret Drop links.
Dassport Roll bar
Cargraphic 3 piece 18x9 and 18x11 w/ Sumitomo 245 and 295
IPD Competition Plenum w/ GT3 TB
BMC Filter
997 Updated coils
Tarret X51 oil baffle
Kline equal length headers
200 Cell X pipe
Tubi Mufflers
RSS semi solid motor mounts
RSS underdrive pulley
Evoms Stage IV Tune
Rennline aluminium floor mats
Rennline hood protectors
Rennline tow hook
Rennline front grill screens
Numeric Shifter
Numeric Cables
Aasco LWFW
Sachs Stage II sprung clutch disc and Pressure plate
Techart flat bottom steering wheel
ECS Stainless steel rubber coated brake lines
Dyno @ 297 RWHP
26 MPG on 93 pump gas

Daily Driver, Autocross and DE car
Old 05-10-2018, 11:43 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

M96 experts say don't do a LWFW unless you have a built engine with the FW balanced to the crankshaft and the #6 bearing reinforced. Without doing so you risk a broken crankshaft.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:44 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I have also built my 996 Aero to be pretty much a dedicated (but streetable) DE car with 55K miles... I love the 996 platform. Here is what I did:
  • 997S Engine and transmission with Drexel adjustable LSD (somewhere about 400HP)
  • LWFL and performance clutch
  • DUNDON custom exhaust with 4 pipe headers, catless and turbo muffler
  • 996.2 Instrument cluster and Environmental control unit
  • Custom ECU harness
  • Ohlin R&T GT3 Suspension (got rid of JRZ Double adjustable)
  • 996 Turbo Radiators + center
  • All calipers rebuilt and refinished
  • Dundon DME/ECU Tune
  • Agency rollbar and 5 point harnesses.
  • 996.2 ABS
  • Euro 996 GT3 seats
  • GT3 wheels (one set for street and one set for track tires)
  • GT3 console delete
  • 997 shifter
  • 996.2 rear bumper (love how it integrates with Aero look)
  • Complete repaint.
  • Amberectamy (removal of all amber from headlight)
  • Brembo Big brake Kit.
  • GT3 sway bars
  • New LCAs...I think Dundon installed GT3 though don't remember.

• First time on track since rebuild on APril 20
Old 05-10-2018, 11:47 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

M96 experts say don't do a LWFW unless you have a built engine with the #6 bearing reinforced.
Hmmm...interesting, I will need to look into this....I will say the LWFL is great for blipping the throttle on downshifts. :-)

Quick Reply: 996 C2 street to track??