Sponsored by:

Help with Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 12:24 PM
shft22
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Help with Headlights

I am having a problem, on my new to me 2002 4S, with the driver side headlight.

When I turn the ignition on, a noice can be heard from the drivers side headlight. This noice sound like a gear or something is trying to move the light but it has either reach its limit or the part that suppose to move is stock.

While looking at the lights and turning the ignition on I can see the passenger light moving up and down, but the driver side does not do this, it just makes noice. Also the driver side light was pointing very hight, I had to adjusted it down using the adjustment screw but even at its max down is a bit higher than the passenger side.

The car was lowered by the PO, I can see on the driver side, a link that connects from the suspension to a box, not sure if this has to do with the lights or not, this is not on the passenger side.

Outside this the lights work, they were not coming on at times, but after taking the switch apart and cleaning all the contact now they come on perfectly, just the noice and not moving issue. Any ideas?
Old 05-14-2018, 12:30 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

Litronic headlights have a self leveling motor based on the link on the suspension. I would guess that your drivers side self leveling motor has a broken gear, or something has jammed up inside.
See motor Part #11 here - http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=905-03
Make sure before ordering that you have the correct motor....difference between M601-01 and M601-02 headlight systems.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:40 PM
shft22
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you, this is helpful.

I have been trying to figure out how to make this move on the bench, I just downloaded a copy of the car's shop manual, I am hoping it will have the connector pinout of the light so I can troubleshot this on the bench by applying ground and power to the correct pin.
But yes it sound like a gear is jumping.

Quick Reply: Help with Headlights