Sponsored by:

Key swap question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 12:39 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Key swap question

Can an old fashioned, simple locking system or key be easily swapped into these cars?

I'm considering purchase of a '99 year 996, and have read that new keys may cost hundreds of dollars each, due to electronic complexity and reprogramming. So, can the complex part of the system be disabled and it used as old fashioned keys/locks, or are such available to retrofit these cars?
Old 12-07-2017, 08:04 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash01
Can an old fashioned, simple locking system or key be easily swapped into these cars?

I'm considering purchase of a '99 year 996, and have read that new keys may cost hundreds of dollars each, due to electronic complexity and reprogramming. So, can the complex part of the system be disabled and it used as old fashioned keys/locks, or are such available to retrofit these cars?
It's the anti-theft immobilizer components (both in the key and the ignition switch) that create the complexity - not sure how you defeat that.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,085 Likes on 697 Posts

You're buying a Porsche and it has an alarm/immobilizer so it is difficult to steal. The key RFID pill is matched to the car/immobilizer and that is relayed to the DME/ECU so the car will start. The laser cut key and RFID pill work in conjunction to operate the car. You can have all the laser cut keys you want that will open the door, but that alone will not start the car. Another key matched to the car is not that expensive (relatively) and can be done by a local Porsche dealer.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:04 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the cost of a key replacement is scaring you into buying a 911, I would say this isn't the car for you.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:32 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I made a key for my son's boxster using keyinthepost.com. Just took a picture of my key and they sent a new blade for like $30. Then I bought a empty fob for $5 and a pill for $2 on EBAY. THe dealer programed it into the car for free. The whole thing cost less than $40 all in. Now My son has a key with a remote that works and the new one which does not work remotely but is a great backup key that works the old fashion way.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:19 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 96 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by lowpue
I made a key for my son's boxster using keyinthepost.com. Just took a picture of my key and they sent a new blade for like $30. Then I bought a empty fob for $5 and a pill for $2 on EBAY. THe dealer programed it into the car for free. The whole thing cost less than $40 all in. Now My son has a key with a remote that works and the new one which does not work remotely but is a great backup key that works the old fashion way.
this is the craziest story i have ever heard.
$30 for a key blade cut based of a picture? let's say OK.
empty fob for $5 and a pill that matches the OEM immobilizer for $2? never heard of such thing in existence. but let's say you know your stuff and you did better research than i did. so OK
now you need to explain how did you find a dealer willing to reprogram an item you got on ebay for free.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I had two keys cut via a picture at keyinthepost.com. About $45 or 50 for two of them.

I then bought a new fob online with the code for about $170 as I recall. Brought it to the dealer and they coded it for $150? Wasn't cheap, but I have two keys now plus a spare key.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:26 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm curious about this too as every key has a key "code" tag that comes along with it, if that was included in the sale - it would work and you got very lucky! Otherwise I don't see how they would have programmed it as without a corresponding pill the key will manually open the door but not start the car.

I heard a horror story about a dealership here that coded a key that was supplied by a customer for a Cayenne. Turns out the key was a Chinese fake which shutdown and locked the DME and cost the customer 5k...

Here is a picture of the key and code tag:
Old 12-07-2017, 11:25 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
If the cost of a key replacement is scaring you into buying a 911, I would say this isn't the car for you.
Ditto. If all you end up needing is new keys, consider yourself lucky.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:26 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
I'm just going through the list of common complaints with these cars (IMS bearing, f'rex.) to get a sense of if and how one might efficiently avoid such pitfalls and expenses. Forewarned is forearmed.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:41 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,317 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
I'm curious about this too as every key has a key "code" tag that comes along with it, if that was included in the sale - it would work and you got very lucky! Otherwise I don't see how they would have programmed it as without a corresponding pill the key will manually open the door but not start the car.

I heard a horror story about a dealership here that coded a key that was supplied by a customer for a Cayenne. Turns out the key was a Chinese fake which shutdown and locked the DME and cost the customer 5k...

Here is a picture of the key and code tag:
Let me see if I can clarify this up a bit. There are three main important parts to a properly working key. 1 the laser cut key blade 2 the remote control board/circuit 3 the pill
1 the key blade operates the cylinder tumblers and mechanically allows the cylinders to turn.
2 the remote board/circuit electronics operate the electric door locks, hood/trunk locks
3 the pill allows the car to start by communicating to immobilizer/DME
In the picture you have the complete remote with the electronic AND the pill. It has the code tag with the programming code (at the bottom) to program the remote electronics.
Programming the remote electronics does NOT start the car, it only allows the electronic locks to function.
The pill is programmed using the IPAS code that is only available from Porsche and is married to the VIN of the car.
The pill is read out by the PIWIS tester after you have entered the IPAS code It can read out whatever pill is there whether it is new, old, my pill, your pill as long as it is the right type pill it can read it and display the pill code and be install in one of 5 positions.
So basically you get an old remote that has the pill in it, but no/bad remote electronics, put a laser cut key blade on it and have it programmed to start the car.
And yes the laser cut key blade can be made from a picture.
The tag that has the codes on a new remote is the only code that will make the remote function work, and is not stored by Porsche.
The security is the equipment necessary to program and the IPAS code that is guarded and only available from Porsche.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:01 AM
J_M
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suggestions where to buy a blank, have it cut and put electronics in from old key?
My original looks like it's been chewed by a dog
Old 12-08-2017, 11:05 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by J_M
Suggestions where to buy a blank, have it cut and put electronics in from old key?
My original looks like it's been chewed by a dog
keysinthepost.com
Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by meirschwartz
this is the craziest story i have ever heard.
$30 for a key blade cut based of a picture? let's say OK.
empty fob for $5 and a pill that matches the OEM immobilizer for $2? never heard of such thing in existence. but let's say you know your stuff and you did better research than i did. so OK
now you need to explain how did you find a dealer willing to reprogram an item you got on ebay for free.
I know this seems hard to believe....but its all true. THe pil is nothing more than an RFID type of thing and you can buy them cheap on ebay as with the case. I did not need the remote function and that is the expensive part. so I never got the board. Keyinthepost is really an amazing service for cutting keys and cheap. All the delaer had to do was program in the RFID code into the computer a walla! A functioning key without remote. Frankly I was proud of myself for doing that for my sons car...the fact that you think it is so impossible makes me even more proud. :-)
Old 12-09-2017, 12:54 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 96 Posts

I know this seems hard to believe....but its all true. THe pil is nothing more than an RFID type of thing and you can buy them cheap on ebay as with the case. I did not need the remote function and that is the expensive part. so I never got the board. Keyinthepost is really an amazing service for cutting keys and cheap. All the delaer had to do was program in the RFID code into the computer a walla! A functioning key without remote. Frankly I was proud of myself for doing that for my sons car...the fact that you think it is so impossible makes me even more proud. :-)
LOL. i was obviously kidding, and true kudos to you on finding the correct pill.
although its RFID, there are multiple frequencies and protocols within that monster called RFID. so its important to get the right one.
however, your biggest achievement is to get the dealer do something for free.
i personally never needed to visit the dealer, but i can show you invoices from previous owners that includes $20 for paper towels

Quick Reply: Key swap question