Sponsored by:

Cheap oil temp guage

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,323 Likes on 1,960 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Cool setup. I like how it integrates into the bat wing.

You are not too far from the last step of using Arduino to implement that voltage to temp conversion. I used Arduino in my oil temp gauge thread.

This link shows you how to use Arduino to make a voltmeter.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ardu...Voltage-Meter/

All you need to change is one line of code (the third last line) where voltage is computed. Instead of displaying voltage, you convert it to temp and display the temp instead. And once you've tested it, you can replace the big Arduino board with something very samell like the nano (like a USB drive size).
That almost looks doable for me. Hardware wise and only 6 wires..But I have NEVER written any code. I'm sure I could screw that up and get lost, with a wrong word or symbol somewhere.

I've done a lot of programming with PIWIS and got way into the TunerPro software for EECIV (TurboCoupe) as far as changing injector flow tables , timing tables, MAF tables, even converting from VAF to MAF, and modified about everything there is to modify on an EECIV computer ,but I have never written a single line of code.

I may give this Arduino a go, and see if I can make it happen.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:22 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Here is an online workshop manual , it has the diagrams in it.
http://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/
I can't find the diagram for a 1999 996 C2.

Happy to help with Arduino, just buy it and you will figure it out.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:40 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbogrill
I can't find the diagram for a 1999 996 C2.

Happy to help with Arduino, just buy it and you will figure it out.
It has the DME pinout diagram in there. What diagram do you need? oil pressure?

Thanks for the offer to help on the Arduino, I'm sure I will need it !! lol
Old 12-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

duplicate post

Last edited by Porschetech3; 12-04-2017 at 10:50 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 12-05-2017, 03:38 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

That almost looks doable for me. Hardware wise and only 6 wires..But I have NEVER written any code. I'm sure I could screw that up and get lost, with a wrong word or symbol somewhere.

I've done a lot of programming with PIWIS and got way into the TunerPro software for EECIV (TurboCoupe) as far as changing injector flow tables , timing tables, MAF tables, even converting from VAF to MAF, and modified about everything there is to modify on an EECIV computer ,but I have never written a single line of code.

I may give this Arduino a go, and see if I can make it happen.
Programming arduino is the easiest thing in the unvierse.
If you care capable of connect wires then this wont be a problem.

There is a lot of fun stuff you can do if you are creative.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Simple?? lol ..ok...I got no idea where to start. I am basic electronic wise such as volts.ohms. resistance,diodes, resisters, transistors, ect,but when you ties a bunch on them together and then put a chip in, I'm lost.

If you could come up with a step by step SIMPLE instructions for a plug and play conversion box to put inline for this to display the temp, and take the place of the cheat sheet, it would be great !!
Even though I'm well versed I am simply slammed with family and home project stuff right now....alas...very little free time
Old 12-05-2017, 08:24 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Even though I'm well versed I am simply slammed with family and home project stuff right now....alas...very little free time
Thats ok... I just read a tutorial on writing computer code. Mainly on the most basic HTML computer code. I think I will give it a try. See if this old dog can learn a new trick !!! lol
Old 12-05-2017, 08:40 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

If you want to learn the basics of Arduino programming, this is a great site (an example) to start with. Almost self-explanatory...

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Blink
Old 12-06-2017, 02:37 AM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ahsai
If you want to learn the basics of Arduino programming, this is a great site (an example) to start with. Almost self-explanatory...

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Blink
Thankx Ahsai !! You are way more computer savvy than I am. I have watched the video's on the Arduino and read a tutorial on writing HTML computer code. One thing is for sure, my hat's off to anyone who can write computer code.

I have memorized a large portion of my cheat sheet and know what my oil temp is at any given time.

I have a feeling it is gonna take me a while to master writing a simple computer code. lol
Old 01-06-2018, 04:14 PM
kbollaert
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 99 c2, the dme pin assignment for oil temperature is pin 73, not 74, according to the Bentley manual..
Old 01-06-2018, 09:36 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kbollaert
On my 99 c2, the dme pin assignment for oil temperature is pin 73, not 74, according to the Bentley manual..
Yes you are correct, it is a typo. I have corrected it, thanks for pointing it out !!
Old 01-07-2018, 12:35 PM
yamasaki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you are correct, it is a typo. I have corrected it, thanks for pointing it out !!
I'm a software engineer. I've been wanting an excuse to play with Arduino. This may be it. If you're not too far along yet or haven't started, maybe I can help. I write code for a living, just haven't played with Arduino yet.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:16 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yamasaki
I'm a software engineer. I've been wanting an excuse to play with Arduino. This may be it. If you're not too far along yet or haven't started, maybe I can help. I write code for a living, just haven't played with Arduino yet.
I haven't started with the Arduino yet. While researching for a suitable end game enclosure to house the Arduino and digital display ( I could not find one yet), I stumbled across a digital temp thermometer that may be suitable for our use.

The digital temp thermometer is calibrated and uses a B3950 10k ohm NTC sensor, and has an internal resister of 10k as a voltage divider. The factory uses a 8k ohm internal resister as a voltage divider (inside the DME)so with a 45k ohm installed in parallel it will be near the 8k of the factory voltage divide(10k and 45k in parallel is about 8.1k) . Preliminary tests look good with the temp display being about 2 degrees lower than actual at 50-60F and spot on at 120F-160F, I am expecting it to posibly be about 2 degrees high in the upper temps but I could not get an accurate reading with my Fluke infrared at high temps. The steam from the hot water and stainless steel pot were causing really crazy readings from the infrared/laser thermometer.I have to find a more suitable way to test the high temp accuracy, but if within a couple degrees I think it will be acceptable.

One caveat of this particular digital temp display is the the temp range will be limited to around 30F to 257F, above 257F it has a high temp warning and just reads HHHH, which for me is not a problem as I have decided that 260F is my absolute shut it down temp and cool it off, call it a day, then do some more oil cooling mods.But some people are more willing to run higher temps up to and over 300F. The oil can take it for a period of time, but on my DD that sees some track time 230-240F is my real comfort zone.

The Arduno with the proper code and a nice enclosure would be the best way to go. If I can find a proper enclosure that doesn't require a custom fabricated/hand made enclosure that would make a easy assembly DIY plug and play with only using a cable and the 3 wire hook-up to DME is the end game.I'm retired with a dissablilty and do no heavy work, just taking my time and piddling for therapy and enjoyment.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:27 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Can you tell us what thermometer you have found?
Old 01-07-2018, 11:46 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thankx Ahsai !! You are way more computer savvy than I am. I have watched the video's on the Arduino and read a tutorial on writing HTML computer code. One thing is for sure, my hat's off to anyone who can write computer code.
After trying to dig through that manual to find the DME pinout for my car, one thing's for sure: my hat's off to anyone who is a Porsche tech

Quick Reply: Cheap oil temp guage