Originally Posted by tlakeusa
It is on the rack and the tick is being hunted down as I type
take video and post it to youtube.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:45 PM
SeaBass8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on this?
Sometime I think I hear a ticking and some times no. Curious as to possible causes.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:46 PM
tlakeusa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill have more on Monday. Long story short, replaced lifters (#1 was very soft) put back together. Yet the tick continues rolls in, rolls out. When cold - no sound ( oil thicker ) , above 3k rpm tick goes away. Rev engine and it goes away also. Indie did some more adjustments checked tensioners etc. So just going to drive it for a bit. Indie says, "car drives great just this lingering tick" . Ill be able to make a recording and posted once I have it back and then go from there. BTW prior oil changes have shown nothing in the filter BUT ..... Indie detected some liquid gasket material. Apparently from the pan being dropped and inspected 8k back on last service by PO (known by former maintenance docs). So it continues
Old 12-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by tlakeusa
Ill have more on Monday. Long story short, replaced lifters (#1 was very soft) put back together. Yet the tick continues rolls in, rolls out. When cold - no sound ( oil thicker ) , above 3k rpm tick goes away. Rev engine and it goes away also. Indie did some more adjustments checked tensioners etc. So just going to drive it for a bit. Indie says, "car drives great just this lingering tick" . Ill be able to make a recording and posted once I have it back and then go from there. BTW prior oil changes have shown nothing in the filter BUT ..... Indie detected some liquid gasket material. Apparently from the pan being dropped and inspected 8k back on last service by PO (known by former maintenance docs). So it continues
Doesn't have to be lifter related. Can be injector noise.

I have to stress is it very important if the camshaft covers are removed that they are properly installed. The type of sealant used, how big a bead of sealant to lay down, the routing of the bead of sealant, the proper fititng and tightening of the cover (and more) are all crucial to getting the camshaft cover back on the head and bolted down metal to metal contact so the cam bearing, half of which is in the cover the other half in the head obtain the correct shape/size. Additionally all high pressure oil passages that have oil flowing from the head up into the camshaft cover are sealed and do not leak out high pressure oil under the cover.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:07 AM
rymerc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scoping the cylinders is fast and easy, and totally non-invasive. I wouldn't be comfortable with spending the money and time to replace lifters for "a ticking" without doing that first. Hope your mechanic isn't charging you for hanging parts.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:51 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't say it's fast nor easy, it will be a couple of hours labor to remove the sump plate, scope the cylinders from the bottom, clean the plate, re apply silicone and re install...

but yeah - I'd be getting it scoped before looking at lifters myself.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:15 PM
tlakeusa
Instructor

I hope this works. The address for Media Airdrop. Video sucks but right side of the car for ticking. Not wearing right clothes to lay under ride. Driven 5 miles back to the homestead. Thanks for the input

https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u...OV&sz=33939822
Old 12-11-2017, 09:33 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

tlakeusa, if you'd like I can put this on my youtube channel for you. Might make it easier for everyone to view/hear. Fair warning: I'm keeping the ad revenue.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:01 PM
tlakeusa
Instructor

all good with youtube and any extra revenue is yours gratis
Old 12-12-2017, 03:08 AM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Cool, here are the goods, folks:

Old 12-13-2017, 09:13 AM
tlakeusa
Instructor

This is disconcerting , no replies. Does the abyss loom
Old 12-13-2017, 09:18 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, my next step would be to scope that engine for cylinder scoring. Isnt as loud as mine was bit it doesn't sound good
Old 12-13-2017, 09:24 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

being phone video its hard to judge but i do have to say it doesnt sound as loud as other bore scoring video i have heard or piston slap I have heard on other brand of cars before. Have you pin the noise to which cylinder? with stethoscope may be able to get closer to the source (i.e block, the head, closer to which cylinders)

I think someone above have mentioned that it could also be injector noise.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:42 AM
tlakeusa
Instructor

Could not get it narrowed to one spot. I can retake from under the car or lid up and inside.Then post up for all to peruse. Went to pick it up the other day and it threw a code P1325. Apparently it is cam alignments being off ? Ill know more today. Thx Dr Strangelove for the youtube help and remember no fighting in the War room. Thanks for the input. The saga grows.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:59 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

That good it threw a code, might be a simple fix.

mine never threw a code. Even with severe scoring in cyl 4 & 6 never threw a code. In fact if you ignored the knocking noise and the massive amounts of oil burning, you wouldn't even know. Idled fine and always pulled like a train.

Last edited by AWDGuy; 12-13-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Ticking comes and goes