996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Ticking comes and goes

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:59 PM
Turkertwo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tlak - Feeling your pain. This sounds similar to the ticking on my MY 2000 with 76K miles (LN ceramic IMS, single mass flywheel, Fabspeed intake and exhaust mods, all timing chains, ramps and pads updated at 65K). Mine "ticked" most consistently after a thorough warm up and some runs up to @ 6K revs. Then when dropped back to idle (back in the garage) the noise was at its worst. I became convinced it was oil starvation. My Indie tentatively agreed, as he saw oil pressure fluctuation under load during a test drive. He changed the oil and found no debris in the filter, but then at my insistence dropped the pan and found lots of chain ramp and lifter plastic debris clogging up the oil pickup tube and screen. A second oil change, a rinse with Rislone, a new oil pickup tube and updated oil pressure valve, and another oil change seems to have cured the problem. I have flogged it pretty well since with no ticking. Apparently, it took a while for all the plastic debris to collect in the center of the engine and cause a problem which I think is why mine took 5 to 10K of use after the ramps and pads were replaced to display the ticking sound. Have you made sure you don't have debris clogging your oiling system?
Old 07-24-2018, 09:11 AM
tlakeusa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Turker, my Indie and I dropped the pan and cleaned it about 4k ago. The only thing in it was just a touch of silicone. The pickup was clean. Timing chain pads all replaced. When I bring up revs the ticking goes. When I start it there is the normal few seconds and it departs then too. Yet, as per .... at different times the ticking does return. Went to a Cars and coffee over the weekend and enjoyed the summer w the top down til Sunday night. Put over 400 miles on the ride and same thing some ticking and then no ticking at various times. Thinking I am going to do the oil towards the end of Aug and see what pops up. Really appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:19 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a random thought, if the ticking come and goes. not sure if you can see if it is vario cam related. If ticking is there at start up, dont go over 3k and drive around for extended miles see if ticking ever starts. Then you go to high RPM and see if that causes the ticks to come on. If it does, drive around again and don't go over 3k and see if it ever goes away or stays ticking. If it stays ticking for a long period of time, try to goes into high RPM again and see if it goes away.

Not sure if that make sense but was thinking if cam actuating and something stick then later on unstuck... Just a thought and I am sure some of the expert can chime in if this even work at all as vario cam plus is not really an on and off...

Can the cam be controlled by durametric while idling and see if the tick can be induced?
Old 07-24-2018, 05:22 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Why not talk to an m96 expert, someone that knows these motors like the back of his hand...Jake Raby would be my first thought.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:41 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

^^ The problem with ticking is that it could be anything: lifters, piston slap, tensioners, coolant pipes (for real), cats...hard to diagnose over the Internet.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:01 PM
tlakeusa
Instructor

Good point ,fortunately I have had many pretty sharp members chip in. Many recognizable names around the Porsche universe. Jake probably has more things to do than play 20 questions with me til things get really serious. I am close to Tony Callas' location but that could lead to an equity loan scenario. My Indie aint so bad either , 35 years family owned Porsche shop. So I am hunkering down til the fickle fate of the Gods enlightens the situation. Sweetie pie and I just go out and enjoy a great car. Otherwise, I maintain / monitor things as close as I can. As questions, thoughts , or my updates occur I post . The worm hole does end somewhere, right ?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:13 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

^^ Yeah, the problem will eventually reveal itself. Just be thankful it’s a car and not your health
Old 07-25-2018, 07:31 PM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
^^ Yeah, the problem will eventually reveal itself. Just be thankful it’s a car and not your health
true statement
Old 07-25-2018, 07:57 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

+996 on your own health vs car health

Have you got a spin on oil filter adaptor and done an oil change? Maybe clutching at straws/an attempted band-aid fix but for ~$200 might be something worth considering?
Old 07-26-2018, 11:48 AM
tlakeusa
Instructor

Health is key and I have miles to go before I sleep. Porsche stuff , oil change end of Aug probably. Last one was when we dropped the pan. Charles , Baz, Murphy, Porsche tech, Jumper, Ashai and others have been great. Baz's points were pretty interesting. What i have found unique is that the ticking does not increase / decrease with revs. Possibly not engine mechanical ? Going driving this weekend for sure no matter. Best to all
Old 07-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tlakeusa
What i have found unique is that the ticking does not increase / decrease with revs. Possibly not engine mechanical ? Going driving this weekend for sure no matter. Best to all
That’s interesting.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:18 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,325 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Originally Posted by tlakeusa
Health is key and I have miles to go before I sleep. Porsche stuff , oil change end of Aug probably. Last one was when we dropped the pan. Charles , Baz, Murphy, Porsche tech, Jumper, Ashai and others have been great. Baz's points were pretty interesting. What i have found unique is that the ticking does not increase / decrease with revs. Possibly not engine mechanical ? Going driving this weekend for sure no matter. Best to all
Huh?? Are you sure?

Post #1 Right side ticking comes a bit after the car warms up after starting. It accelerates with revs. Turn it off and let it sit a bit and the process repeats. I have brought it to my Indie, awaiting his thoughts. Any thoughts here from this knowledgeable crew ?

Surely you're just jerking our chain !!
Old 10-23-2018, 08:38 AM
tlakeusa
Instructor

So instead of starting a new thread I am going to toss in that I am off on a solid road trip . Kind of a what the heck with the ticking , which BTW still comes and goes. So LA to Coos Bay Oregon and back. I am in Redding now and going to hit the 299 West at the crack of dawn to the Calif coast then up 101 through the Redwoods and along the coast to Coos Bay. I will reverse that somewhat and come back 101 to SR 36 to I5 on my way back home. I will of course be monitoring my nemesis "the tick". Had the oil changed , sent in oil sample to be checked , put on new S belt and had new tires installed. Gave the ride a good wash and wax. Should be sunny with a small chance of rain the whole time. I have my tunes lined up and the drop top is ready to disappear. I am keeping close track of the miles and mileage also. BTW the last fill up for gas the ticking still came and went.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:37 AM
tlakeusa
Instructor

So a few things from my solo ride to Coos Bay and back. A touch over 2k miles. Did oil change before I departed. Had oil analysis done by Speediagnostix . Good group, they work with LN too. Report showed no metals in oil but a touch of fuel in the oil. The car ran like a champ. BTW I5 from the Grapevine to Stockton either driection was averaging 85 easy. So I took SR 299 from Redding to 101 top down playlist cranking. Then 101 Redwood route through a misty cold morning to Coos Bay. Side note, most passing lanes were uphill and a breeze in Oregon. Did have an ignition issue mid week. Apparently the ignition is known for wearing out and leaving the car dash / interior lights on when worn. Thus it will not turn off the car electrical system. The spring also does not lock the key in place after starting. Luckily 10mm wrench disconnected the battery and helped dodge the key bullet. BTW unless the key is adjusted a touch to the left the wipers and headlights are out of sorts big time. Anyways drove 42 to Medford and back in Oregon to visit pals. Then departed back down 101 to SR 36 to catch the I5 back from Red Bluff to LA. Another great experience. The C4 Cabriolet was a joy to drive. Yes, it still ticks on and off. When I hit 3k post most recent oil change, I may get another kit for another analysis . The beat goes on. Used GoPro on trip and trying to section out pictures for posting.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:02 PM
USNA1970
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

hello,

My car sounds very much like Jumper5836. It started about two years ago and 27k miles. I use about a quart of oil every 1400 miles. I've tried different oil weights, lifter quiet, and have done an engine flush over this time period. My local Porsche mechanic said it is hard to say for sure without spending the cash and effort to take a few things apart. He said he has seen these cars make this noise for a long time before anything goes boom. 2 years and almost 27k miles is already pretty long. It still pulls pretty strong and doesn't give blue smoke at startup.

My thinking is to save my money for a good rebuild and drive this until it is clearly on its last lap. It will be an interesting data point to see how far it will go. I admit that I don't spend much time above 5k rpms. I daily drive on the highway and the long periods of 6th gear and 2900 rpms is probably not taxing the internals much. I never accelerate in 6th or 5th gear, only cruise and I downshift for any hills.

Quick Reply: Ticking comes and goes