Sponsored by:

Ticking comes and goes

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 11:01 AM
SeaBass8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
That good it threw a code, might be a simple fix.

mine never threw a code. Even with severe scoring in cyl 4 & 6 never threw a code. In fact if you ignored the knocking noise, you wouldn't even know. Idled fine and always pulled like a train.
This brings up a question... What's the end game with cylinder scoring? Failing performance to the point where it's not a viable running engine? What's the cost to correct this situation? Is it worth the cost? How long can an engine run with this condition before it gets to critical mass.

Not trying to hijack and this may be a topic for it's own thread...
Old 12-13-2017, 11:04 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes it's been thoroughly covered in other threads. You can start here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/931305-poll-scored-cylinder-failure-for-your-997-y-or-n-tell-us-yr-997-1-or-997-2-a-8.html
Old 12-13-2017, 11:55 AM
SeaBass8
Advanced

That good it threw a code, might be a simple fix.

mine never threw a code. Even with severe scoring in cyl 4 & 6 never threw a code. In fact if you ignored the knocking noise and the massive amounts of oil burning, you wouldn't even know. Idled fine and always pulled like a train.
Yes it's been thoroughly covered in other threads. You can start here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...997-2-a-8.html

Thanks for the link... I never go over to that area of the forum. Good read. I'll do some more searching. In my case, if it ever comes to this, I've already decided an engine rebuild/swap is not economically prudent. I am curious as to how far one can drive with these conditions. Did I see you post in the 997 thread you shared? You have scoring and still running strong?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:59 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Here's my thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...0-project.html
Old 12-13-2017, 12:05 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by tlakeusa
Could not get it narrowed to one spot. I can retake from under the car or lid up and inside.Then post up for all to peruse. Went to pick it up the other day and it threw a code P1325. Apparently it is cam alignments being off ? Ill know more today. Thx Dr Strangelove for the youtube help and remember no fighting in the War room. Thanks for the input. The saga grows.
Agree with others the ticking doesn't sound as solid as knocking from bore scoring. You may want to check your cats to eliminate it's not cat with loose element inside (your sound doesn't like it but it's free and one more thing to eliminate). Just place a long screwdriver between the cat and your ear and you will hear it if it's knocking.

Re P1325, it's bank2 variocam issue. There are many things to check so it will take some good diagnostic to narrow down the culprit before you start replacing anything (can be very expensive if you just throw parts at it w/o deep diagnostic).
Old 12-13-2017, 02:14 PM
tlakeusa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info and questions , I too have been pondering the financial worm hole. I look forward to reading the above links. As I progress I will keep posted. BTW car still drives very well despite the tick , as reported above

wormhole is a theoretical passage through space-time that could create shortcuts for long journeys across the universe. Wormholes are predicted by the theory of general relativity. But be wary: wormholes bring with them the dangers of sudden collapse, high radiation and dangerous contact with exotic matter.
Old 12-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaBass8
This brings up a question... What's the end game with cylinder scoring? Failing performance to the point where it's not a viable running engine? What's the cost to correct this situation? Is it worth the cost? How long can an engine run with this condition before it gets to critical mass.

Not trying to hijack and this may be a topic for it's own thread...
The progression of a cylinder failure from scoring typically first starts with the ferrous coating falling off the piston skirts. You then get aluminum to aluminum contact between the skirt and bore with highest amount of side loading (and wear) at BDC (bottom dead center). Loads are highest here because the pistons come out of the bore 2mm with the 78mm stroke and 7mm with the 82mm stroke.

Eventually, as wear increases, the clearance opens up, and scoring will increase further up the bore from foreign object debris in the oil. Ticking is usually the increased piston to cylinder clearance which is the first symptom, followed by oil consumption, then fouled plugs and misfires.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:30 PM
SeaBass8
Advanced

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
The progression of a cylinder failure from scoring typically first starts with the ferrous coating falling off the piston skirts. You then get aluminum to aluminum contact between the skirt and bore with highest amount of side loading (and wear) at BDC (bottom dead center). Loads are highest here because the pistons come out of the bore 2mm with the 78mm stroke and 7mm with the 82mm stroke.

Eventually, as wear increases, the clearance opens up, and scoring will increase further up the bore from foreign object debris in the oil. Ticking is usually the increased piston to cylinder clearance which is the first symptom, followed by oil consumption, then fouled plugs and misfires.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like there comes a point in time where the blow by causes the plug/s to constantly foul out and effectively you end up with a dead cylinder/s
Old 12-13-2017, 03:52 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SeaBass8
Thanks for the info. Sounds like there comes a point in time where the blow by causes the plug/s to constantly foul out and effectively you end up with a dead cylinder/s
heres my scored cylinders:

(4 looked the same as 6)

here is bank 1 vs bank 2

close up of bank 2, no codes were thrown but you can see the build up on 4 & 6. As you can see, the build up can be quite significant without codes being displayed:

Old 12-13-2017, 09:34 PM
SeaBass8
Advanced

^^^ thank you for the insight. Haven't had a chance to go through your thread yet but I see you pulled your motor and broke it down... Don't spoil the ending for me
Old 01-11-2018, 01:56 PM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you had any luck in finding the root cause or just decided to drive it as is?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:05 PM
tlakeusa
Instructor

No I have not .... the ticking is softer.The right bank of lifters were replaced, #1 was soft and squishy. Tensioners were replaced. Driven it with and additive Liqui Moly for over 400 miles , shot in the dark. I have changed the oil , put in new oil and filter. I am trying to post youtube vids of the 3 times after I went for long runs @ 70 miles plus at 4k to 5 - 6 k rpm on the roads, Even did a Newcomb ranch run just because. My indie has posted on his "indie blogs" . So far nothing. as mentioned , it has gotten softer. It runs great no issues just that damn ticking. When I get the vids up they will be posted as tlake ticking. Thanks for checking , Happy New Year
Old 01-11-2018, 08:12 PM
tlakeusa
Instructor

Here is the latest vid from last weekend on youtube . Trying to get the two prior loaded.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:15 PM
tlakeusa
Instructor

Up on the rack after the oil change. The one above I am thinking finally circulated fully at full temp ? To be monitored further this weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFt5...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-12-2018, 12:23 AM
rogazilla
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tlakeusa
Up on the rack after the oil change. The one above I am thinking finally circulated fully at full temp ? To be monitored further this weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFt5...ature=youtu.be
Post 43 sounds normal. Mine sounds like that but my driver side occasionally has injector noise from bank 1 mid cylinder which sounded like a little tick but definitely not a knock or cylinder scoring like other's video.

Post 44 may need some expert to listen to it as it sounds to have more bass... maybe it is the recording though.

Quick Reply: Ticking comes and goes