Sponsored by:

lightening a 996 for street driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 01:13 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 129 Posts
Default lightening a 996 for street driving

I know, I know plenty of threads of how to lighten up a car.

Direct question for those WHO HAVE DONE IT. If you have shed wait on your street driven 996. was it worth it? I want to have some fun this winter and mod my 1999 Carrera and one of the things I was thinking is one of the body kits that makes it look like a track car and replaces some parts with fiberglass parts. keeping up with the theme I was thinking about taking out SOME of the creature comforts in the car as well. the car came with a monster... I mean monster stereo system which could come out and various other things I could find.

is it worth it, did it make it feel faster etc. ? just a curious question.. please "search it" people.. be nice. its ok to ask non life changing questions when your bored at work lol
Old 11-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
I know, I know plenty of threads of how to lighten up a car.

Direct question for those WHO HAVE DONE IT. If you have shed wait on your street driven 996. was it worth it? I want to have some fun this winter and mod my 1999 Carrera and one of the things I was thinking is one of the body kits that makes it look like a track car and replaces some parts with fiberglass parts. keeping up with the theme I was thinking about taking out SOME of the creature comforts in the car as well. the car came with a monster... I mean monster stereo system which could come out and various other things I could find.

is it worth it, did it make it feel faster etc. ? just a curious question.. please "search it" people.. be nice. its ok to ask non life changing questions when your bored at work lol
Sheesh. There is no right answer to this question other than the more weight you pull off the better the car feels. It is much more noticeable on the track then on the street and you will feel 200-300 but not 50lbs. People talk alot about unsprung weight but don't get caught in that trap. It's very expensive and if you do the math it still takes 50lbs of unsprung weight change to have any impact. Also, a street car and a track car have exact opposite objectives and the better a care is at one, the worse it is at the other. I'm always in search of the perfect balance and can never find it. If you have more specific questions feel free to ask.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:33 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Slakker
Sheesh. There is no right answer to this question other than the more weight you pull off the better the car feels. It is much more noticeable on the track then on the street and you will feel 200-300 but not 50lbs. People talk alot about unsprung weight but don't get caught in that trap. It's very expensive and if you do the math it still takes 50lbs of unsprung weight change to have any impact. Also, a street car and a track car have exact opposite objectives and the better a care is at one, the worse it is at the other. I'm always in search of the perfect balance and can never find it. If you have more specific questions feel free to ask.
that's actually a great reply thank you for that.

as far as specifics... just kind of curious if it would be worth it to free up some weight. I understand a track car vs a street car are different but that balance you mentioned is kind of what I'm after. I love the stereo system that's in the car but if taking that out, the trunk/frunk carpets, a/c moon roof brackets and motors etc. all the small stuff I just don't use is worth a noticeable kick in the pants when I get on the throttle then why not.

Again its just a curious for fun kind of question but I plan on stripping the car down here shortly and putting on a new paint job and while I have it apart, it would be the time to minus these parts if its worth it.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:36 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

my car does have the fab speed mufflers, headers, air intake and a tune that I THINK is working and I have driven behind a stock 996 and I had to let off the gas quite a few times as to not hit them in the rear.

I love my car and on a quest to get a little more out of it lol
Old 11-27-2017, 01:37 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Read the threads out there for losing weight off the 996 platform (turbo or Carrera, many items apply to both). There's also the thread about the 996 CLR.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:43 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Read the threads out there for losing weight off the 996 platform (turbo or Carrera, many items apply to both). There's also the thread about the 996 CLR.
looking for the "996 CLR" thread now.

thank you
Old 11-27-2017, 02:57 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Here was my "latest" weight loss plan...

Rear interior - 86lbs
Replace both seats with lightweight racing buckets (on sale today only at murray motorsports for $300! But you still need brackets). 60lbs
3.5lbs lithium iron phospate battery by Battery Tender ($200) - 47lbs
GT3 Roof Skin ($400) - 40 lbs
Victor Lightweight wheels - 20lbs

Other things on the board:
Stereo?
Airbags?
Electronic Power Steering (weight and HP gain)?
AC Compressor (again)?
Front Carpet?

After that you start getting beyond an $/lb range that I'm not willing to go to on this one. Like $800 including shipping to save 20lbs on a fiberglass hood. Carbon fiber is even more and saves you another 1.5lbs.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:03 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Sunroof delete!
Old 11-27-2017, 03:06 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Here was my "latest" weight loss plan...

Rear interior - 86lbs
Replace both seats with lightweight racing buckets (on sale today only at murray motorsports for $300! But you still need brackets). 60lbs
3.5lbs lithium iron phospate battery by Battery Tender ($200) - 47lbs
GT3 Roof Skin ($400) - 40 lbs
Victor Lightweight wheels - 20lbs

Other things on the board:
Stereo?
Airbags?
Electronic Power Steering (weight and HP gain)?
AC Compressor (again)?
Front Carpet?

After that you start getting beyond an $/lb range that I'm not willing to go to on this one. Like $800 including shipping to save 20lbs on a fiberglass hood. Carbon fiber is even more and saves you another 1.5lbs.
that's all stuff I would consider as well. I've been reading for the last couple hours on this subject... wow some stuff gets pretty deep. I'm looking for that in the middle. but I think I will do a lot of the stuff I'm finding when I tear it down.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:17 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Not sure if a lightweight car matters for the street. I think wheels can make a difference if you go from big heavy to small and light.

What kind of wheels do you have now?
I haven't looked into 17s but I guess you can find some lightweight options.
OZ makes affordable wheels in 18inch as well.

I assume interior means the sound dampening material as well?
This changes the car a lot, you will now hear a lot of metal noises and klungs and stuff. I did this on my race car (not 996).

Definitely remove the stereo, who needs a stereo in a 996? I never have my on, the engine is enough.

The battery seems like a great improvement! Didn't know the stock is that heavy.
On the other hand it's located very centrally so maybe it doesn't affect to much.

I assume the spare tires is out?

The 996 stock seats are nice, racing seats usually offers less comfort and less configuration.
I guess you can always put them back in if you don't like it.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:10 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If you want to feel the difference, get an estimate of the weight you are willing to pull out, then add that weight to the car in roughly the same areas, water jugs, sand bags, Mum's Christmas cake or what have you. Drive a couple of days with all that crap in the car then remove it, notice any difference? Probably not exactly the same but should give you some ballpark feel if it's worth the effort.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:18 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 9964runner
If you want to feel the difference, get an estimate of the weight you are willing to pull out, then add that weight to the car in roughly the same areas, water jugs, sand bags, Mum's Christmas cake or what have you. Drive a couple of days with all that crap in the car then remove it, notice any difference? Probably not exactly the same but should give you some ballpark feel if it's worth the effort.
well shoot if i use this logic ... i have a little more fun when the wife stays home... thats weight and sound... ya im ditching the radio and some weight lolololol just kidding shes a great passenger
Old 11-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Just be glad your wife will ride in it. My little country girl has no interest. So we usually take her 2500 mega cab diesel instead.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:31 PM
vitaminC
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 85 Posts

There are quite a few drivers out there that could remove 50lbs from the car just with diet and exercise!
Old 11-27-2017, 06:32 PM
ttt123
Burning Brakes

Just be glad your wife will ride in it. My little country girl has no interest. So we usually take her 2500 mega cab diesel instead.
My wife is a die hard country girl. For 3 years she's said "its a cool car i guess" always saying how here gmc is the thing to drive.. went cruising with a couple other porsche owners from this forum and it was a spirited cruise above posted speed limits.... in mexico 😇 And now she wants one lol so we went to the dealer saturday. She ordered a cayman s and it should be ready around april life is good lol

Originally Posted by vitaminC
There are quite a few drivers out there that could remove 50lbs from the car just with diet and exercise!
youv seen a picture of me?!?!? 😤 Lol

Quick Reply: lightening a 996 for street driving