Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Persistent P0442 EVAP Small Leak on C4 Cab...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 04:56 PM
squawbum
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Persistent P0442 EVAP Small Leak on C4 Cab...

Hey all. I have a persistent P0442 code that comes up every once in a while and it is really annoying. So far, I've changed the engine side Purge Valve, the fuel line vent valve and got a new gas cap. Still the annoying check engine light with code P0442 comes back every so often. So I finally did a smoke test, pumping in smoke from the engine side where the purge valve goes and used the durametric to close off the charcoal canister valve and no smoke. It was hard to see the smoke so then I pulled vaccum on the engine side tube where the purge value connects. I tested to make sure that I get no vacuum when the charcoal canister valve is open and that was so, Then I close the valve with durametric and can pull vacuum. I pulled about 20 Hg and left it there for more than an hour and the needle didn't move. It held vacuum totally. So the system is sealed and no leaks are present. The only variable is the cannister valve since the engine side purge valve is brand new from Sonnen Porsche-although, come to think of it, I've never really tested that either.

Is there anything wrong with my logic here or can I deduce that the system is sealed and that the canister valve has inconsistent sealing and causes a leak every once in a while and to change it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-2019, 11:40 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

Any update on the emissions slow leak?
Been getting the same code bon my 2011 Cayenne Turbo
Old 03-16-2019, 11:51 PM
squawbum
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It wasnt anything mentioned in the original post. My mechanic ended up fixing it. It was another valve I never heard of. Sorry dont remember. Got the smog done and sold it right away. It has been running perfect ever since. I know because my brother bought it and loves it.

Quick Reply: Persistent P0442 EVAP Small Leak on C4 Cab...