Sponsored by:

Help with bouncing idle, etc. etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 04:34 PM
Simonripley
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
The CEL is dark? Have you checked for any pending error codes?

Symptoms/behavior similar to what I experienced with my 2002 Boxster at its first AOS failure. Started out with a varying idle.

If it is the AOS it may not have gone far enough the old try to remove the oil filler tube cap with the engine idling "test" will be of any value.

There is a more reliable test that measures the amount of pressure in the crankcase. I don't know the details but it might be worth researching this and doing it.

The symptoms/behavior is also similar to when my 2002 Boxster experienced a VarioCam solenoid/actuator failure. Although in this case there was a pending error code which pointed to the solenoid/actuator. I turned off the engine and upon restart the behavior was gone and it stayed away during the 30 mile drive home but was present the next day when I drove the car to the dealer.

'course it could be something else too. My AOS experience is kind of varied. The 1st one went from a mild sort of varying idle to smoking like a Chinese coal power plant in really no time as I futzed around trying various things.

The 2nd failure all I got was a CEL once in a while on a 2K mile drive. But after I reached my destination the next morning on the hotel parking lot the oil smoke just billowed from the exhaust and I knew.

The 3rd time the engine was fine then when taking off from a stop I spotted a cloud of smoke in the mirror. I had no prioer warning. Tried to nurse the car 10 miles to the dealer but in a mile or so the smoking was constant and the engine running rough.

My point is it is hard to believe the AOS could be a little bad and remain a little bad all this time.

The VarioCam system might linger in some kind of twlight zone a while though. It depends upon how much or little the car is used.

If no CEL, if no pending code, there's not much to go on. You might want to seek out a highly regarded Porsche shop and have the car in for a check out.
I've had the problem for over a month and I haven't noticed any unusual smoke so I don't think it is the AOS yet.

There's no CEL. Indy checked for codes when the problem initially started and there were none. That was when the fuel filter was installed. I didn't notice the problem afterwards as it is almost undetectable with the A/C on, but still present. I'm still very curious as to why the problem increases when the A/C is OFF, but is significantly diminished with it ON. Would a video help?
Old 11-14-2017, 04:41 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

Instead of making assumptions that you don't have a vacuum leak, why not perform a simple smoke test?

Quick Reply: Help with bouncing idle, etc. etc.