Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Will They Fit? (Winter rims & tires)

Old 11-08-2017, 12:34 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I run 4 wheels and tires all identical in the winter and it works great on my MK1 996. 225/45 R17's with Blizzaks. Works great in the winter.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:12 PM
Schnauzer
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The width on winter tires is better if they are narrow but all these tires are wide so I bet the difference is not so great. I also suspect that Porsche originally spec'd narrower tires in order to allow chains.

Before you buy genuine center caps, you can check out EBay. I have these and they have fit and held up fine. Mine were from a different seller but here is one current listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-OE...tZ5GA2&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Schnauzer; 11-08-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:06 AM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Schnauzer
The width on winter tires is better if they are narrow but all these tires are wide so I bet the difference is not so great. I also suspect that Porsche originally spec'd narrower tires in order to allow chains.

Before you buy genuine center caps, you can check out EBay. I have these and they have fit and held up fine. Mine were from a different seller but here is one current listing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-OE...tZ5GA2&vxp=mtr
Thanks. I took a look but since they're coming from China it will take a month, maybe 2, to arrive. I'm trying to take a holiday trip this month, so I picked up a pair of near mint OEM caps on Ebay and a pair of 15mm Otis Inc. spacers for the front to bring them out closer to the fender to match the rears. It should only be about 8mm past stock.

I brought the rims in the house and damn they cleaned up well. What I initially thought were scratches and scuffs turned out to be primarily old, hard grease. One rear has a scratch and a scuff and one front rim has some actual scratches and scuffs. Nothing to bad, and nothing I can't get fixed if I decide to run these instead of the polished rims after the winter to preserve those:

Old 11-09-2017, 02:35 AM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Those were a great buy! Post some pics of them on the car when you get them mounted.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:22 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Agent Jester
Those were a great buy! Post some pics of them on the car when you get them mounted.
Absolutely! It's crazy, because I looked at the Craigslist listing at least a half a dozen times since August, and never called for more info. I wonder how many 911 owners did the same since the ad only said the rims "came off of a Porsche," and dude didn't bother to post pics or identifying info, or clean them up.

Caps and spacers arrive tomorrow so I should have them mounted by the weekend. Pics coming soon!
Old 11-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts

did you order longer lug bolts too ?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:42 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fracture
did you order longer lug bolts too ?
Longer bolts come with the spacers, and seem to be of suitable quality according to what I've read from satisfied customers in the blogosphere.

Caps look like new and fit like a glove. Spacers came, too. Can't wait to see what the stance looks like.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:47 PM
Chicago6MT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Agent Jester
Finally got around to snapping a few pics. Nothing fancy or scenic, but you get the picture. A few impressions:
1. The tail gets as loose as a pastor’s daughter in the snow.
2. These Nokian tires take a while to warm up. Went to make a semi-aggressive pass on the highway at about 65 mph and broke the rear loose. This was after about 10 mins of highway driving.
3. Couldn’t be more pleased with the purchase. These Classic III's look like they came stock with the car.

Side note: Has anyone who runs their 996 at cold temps noticed that it runs a few degrees hotter? Up until this winter, my car has held 180 like Swiss clockwork. Running a few degrees hotter it seems (see last pic).

Last edited by Chicago6MT; 12-29-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will They Fit? (Winter rims & tires)