Sponsored by:

Questions on aftermarket headunit install on car with Bose MOST

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 02:58 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions on aftermarket headunit install on car with Bose MOST

I have a 2004 with the dreaded Bose MOST system, complete with factory amp and single DIN CDR-23. For now I plan to swap out the CDR-23 with another single-DIN head unit (McIntosh MX406), with plans to eventually replace amp and speakers when my wife's not paying attention. I have ordered a longate MOST converter box from aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RCA-...708723316.html

So I've been trying to sort out the rest of what I'll need. I have ordered a
Metra 70-1787 Metra 70-1787
adapter, as well as a
Metra 40-EU10 Metra 40-EU10
antenna adapter, and I also have the Becker autosound 5001.524 adapter that I ordered a while back from ebay with plans to tap into the phone plug to give me a switched-power USB power plug somewhere in the car (maybe in the batwing?).

So on to the questions:

1) I see that the CAI instructions recommend running a wire directly to the ignition switch on the 03+ models for switched power. Does this mean that location on the black plug on the Metra harness for switched power doesn't work? Or is just for the functionality where when you turn the car off but still have the key in, the radio is still going? I'm pretty sure I don't care about that, as long as the radio cuts off when the car is off and my battery doesn't drain.

2) followup to 1: assuming the switched power can't be found in the black plug, is there anything wrong with tapping accessory from the becker phone cable?

3) also a followup to 1: if switched power isn't available directly from the harness, how does the factory radio turn on and off?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-05-2017, 03:33 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry I cant be more help but I know for my unit to work (same MOST system) I had to run the ignition wire from somewhere in the center console to the radio. I remember because I was trying to test the unit before getting too far ahead and the unit would not turn on at all until it had both the ignition and constant 12v to the system. This was on a double din unit though so it could have been specific for my deck. Not sure.

Good luck and it was actually fairly easy. Hardest part for me was relocating the hvac to the bottom (issue was fishing the wiring harness down.. Spend 20-30 mins 3 or 4 times.. Took breaks.. Last time I went out and fished it through in 2 mins).. You wont have to worry about this going single din though.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:47 AM
boingolover
Instructor

Originally Posted by eaks

... snip ...

Good luck and it was actually fairly easy. Hardest part for me was relocating the hvac to the bottom (issue was fishing the wiring harness down.. Spend 20-30 mins 3 or 4 times.. Took breaks.. Last time I went out and fished it through in 2 mins).. You wont have to worry about this going single din though.
thanks! No need for me to relocate trim bits because single din, and if I was going double din I'd order the Porsche OEM parts which makes that easy (if expensive) I'll post results here when I'm done. still waiting on customs on the Longate.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:23 AM
eaks
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah mine took quite some time to get here.. I did have all the OEM porsche parts which didn't make it too hard. The only issue was actually fishing the wiring for the hvac down to the bottom and like I said one time I got it relocated in 10 mins after spending over an hour multiple times trying to get it down.

Good luck.. Also word of advice (im sure you will do this anyways). But when wiring the fiber-RCA converter splice on the aftermarket radio side of the harness. Makes it very easy and leaves the car factory.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:45 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Nice HU choice! Wish i could help, interested to hear how this goes. Just recently acquired my car and it has a pretty serious aftermarket system that I haven't had time to dive into yet. I sold/installed consumer audio gear back in college, but haven't touched it in years. My car also has the MOST system, but the PO installed Zapco DSP amps that I think somehow integrate into the oem fiber optics. There's an aftermarket HU but no RCA's running to the amps, not line level either. It's some kind of proprietary "symbalink" cables that i need to read up on. Let me know if you get stuck, I'm local.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:09 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,673 Likes on 923 Posts

Originally Posted by boingolover

2) followup to 1: assuming the switched power can't be found in the black plug, is there anything wrong with tapping accessory from the becker phone cable?

3) also a followup to 1: if switched power isn't available directly from the harness, how does the factory radio turn on and off?

Save the trouble trying to tap into the ignition switch and connect the 12V switch power to your "porsche phone" accessory plug, that is located to the left of your radio. (see picture).

RED/GREEN = 12V constant
GREEN/BLACK = 12V switched
BROWN = ground

Old 11-06-2017, 01:10 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Originally Posted by eaks

Good luck.. Also word of advice (im sure you will do this anyways). But when wiring the fiber-RCA converter splice on the aftermarket radio side of the harness. Makes it very easy and leaves the car factory.
This is definitely solid advice, I don't plan to cut anything on the factory harness.

Originally Posted by jllphan
Nice HU choice! Wish i could help, interested to hear how this goes. Just recently acquired my car and it has a pretty serious aftermarket system that I haven't had time to dive into yet. I sold/installed consumer audio gear back in college, but haven't touched it in years. My car also has the MOST system, but the PO installed Zapco DSP amps that I think somehow integrate into the oem fiber optics. There's an aftermarket HU but no RCA's running to the amps, not line level either. It's some kind of proprietary "symbalink" cables that i need to read up on. Let me know if you get stuck, I'm local.
This sounds like a really cool install. Please post details once you dig in! Zapco is on the short list of amps I'm considering for the next phase. I'd love to see pics! Also, are you a PCA member? I am, but I've yet to go to a meeting (I suck).

Originally Posted by b3freak
Save the trouble trying to tap into the ignition switch and connect the 12V switch power to your "porsche phone" accessory plug, that is located to the left of your radio. (see picture).

RED/GREEN = 12V constant
GREEN/BLACK = 12V switched
BROWN = ground

Thanks for the response! I even have the overpriced pigtail from Becker's ebay store that plugs into the phone connector, so I won't even have to cut anything.

I also ordered one of these:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...00Z-0132-00001

and I'm thinking I'll cut a hole in the back of the cubby and run that through, as well as one of these:

http://www.rennline.com/ExactFit-Mag...nfo/PM01%2E08/

With any luck, I should hopefully get to install it this weekend!
Old 11-13-2017, 03:42 PM
mrzoop
deviated
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of what you are trying to sort through can be found here...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ory-amp-8.html
Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrzoop
Most of what you are trying to sort through can be found here...
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ory-amp-8.html
I read that thread, a lot of what I knew to order came from there. Got it installed this weekend with the help of a friend... or, more accurately, I kept the beer glasses full and provided moral support while he did most of the work

I've heard other people mention how much better the factory system sounds once the Becker radio is evicted... I am surprised that I now agree with them. The longate china box sounds pretty damn good, and that amp and speaker combo is properly decent. I still plan to eventually replace the rest of it, but at least in the mean time I have a proper aux in. Here's a bad photo (sorry for the mess still in the floor)
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Antonov
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Great write up and glad to hear you the headunit alone made a difference. Need to tackle this in my 02.

I've heard other people mention how much better the factory system sounds once the Becker radio is evicted... I am surprised that I now agree with them. The longate china box sounds pretty damn good, and that amp and speaker combo is properly decent. I still plan to eventually replace the rest of it, but at least in the mean time I have a proper aux in. Here's a bad photo (sorry for the mess still in the floor)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:13 PM
boingolover
Instructor

Originally Posted by Antonov
Great write up and glad to hear you the headunit alone made a difference. Need to tackle this in my 02.
Your 02 will be much more straightforward, no fiber optic to deal with.

by the way, love your 964(?)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:58 PM
Antonov
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Its an 87 (pre-964)

-cheers

Your 02 will be much more straightforward, no fiber optic to deal with.

by the way, love your 964(?)
Old 11-14-2017, 08:47 AM
boingolover
Instructor

Originally Posted by Antonov
Thanks! Its an 87 (pre-964)

-cheers
Ahh, okay. I got confused since the 964 had the 3.6 and the G50 transmission. So what's the story on the engine on yours?
Old 11-14-2017, 11:42 AM
Antonov
Rennlist Member

Its a mostly stock 3.6L out of 1995 993. Plan is to run it like this for a few seasons and then build the motor, perhaps 4.0L, we'll see.

Ahh, okay. I got confused since the 964 had the 3.6 and the G50 transmission. So what's the story on the engine on yours?
Old 02-10-2018, 08:55 PM
gtbrandon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to bring back this dead thread, but it seems the most detailed of anything I've found after days of researching.

Looking to simply do one thing, add Bluetooth to a 987 with Bose. Which would best accomplish this?

Longate - https://tinyurl.com/ybjotnrz

CAI - https://cai-store.com/collections/al...ant=3737574725

AVIN - https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...e-cayenne.html

iSimple -
Amazon Amazon

Dension - https://tinyurl.com/y944mx88

Quick Reply: Questions on aftermarket headunit install on car with Bose MOST