Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Lots of vibration in pedals and cabin - Please guess and suggest.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:04 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by cds72911
How dies a flywheel get “out of balance”? Is that shop speak for a failed dual mass flywheel?
yes

I think this guy drinks a lot of coffee. Look around 1:37 to see why you get vibration.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:57 PM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ That was a good explanation of what is happening. Mine has the clutch vibration feedback but none of those noises yet. Must be in the beginning stages of failure. Would it be possible the crankshaft could be a little bent which would cause the flywheel to seem "off balance" I do see some wobble with the harmonic balancer but it doesn't look any different than it did 6 months ago.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:59 PM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Well I just got my car back from the shop. They installed new clutch kit, IMS, RMS as well as trans and diff mounts. They confirmed there was nothing wrong with the flywheel and suggested not replacing it. While it was in there they also replaced the driveshaft flex joint, both stabilizer bars and both front sway bar links. The car feels much better along the lines of performance than before. Unfortunately the vibration issue is still there and it's so bothersome. Just to recap the issue. When it's running and the car is in neutral and you put your foot on the clutch pedal and push it barely you can feel a vibration/pulsating sensation in the pedal. You can also feel it in the accelerator and steering wheel. The vibration/pulsating intensifies when the RPM's are raised (especially 3k and up) to the point you can easily feel it if you were to touch almost any spot on the car including the wheels so it makes it difficult to find where it's coming from. It's the same vibration/pulsating in or out of gear. I do think that there is a tiny improvement though after they replaced the trans and diff mounts. I installed the Function First v2 motor mounts back in October because my tail pipes were 1.5 inches from the bumper and I was experiencing this vibration issue. Maybe the vibration was there because they were bad and now it's still there because i installed them wrong? I'm thinking not. Are there any other things I could do to troubleshoot this? After this last shop visit I really can't afford to have them misdiagnose it again.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

You took it to a shop, they replaced a crap ton of stuff, and didn't fix the issue. How is that okay? Aren't they the professionals? If they can't figure it out in the shop, I'm not sure there is much more people can do from afar over the internet.

I have the Function First motor mounts and a Rennline street performance transmission mount in my 2000 and it doesn't have any unusual noise, vibration or harshness. I doubt that is the issue. I'm not sure how you could install motor mounts wrong, but I suppose anything is possible if you try hard enough.

The source sure sounds like an issue with something that is rotational on the motor and transmission assembly. I'd rule out all of the driveshaft and rotating assemblies outboard (since you aren't driving and still get vibration) including wheels brakes, wheel bearings, etc..

Other than the DMF, I don't have ideas for you. For the couple of hundred bucks the DMFs cost, I would have had them replace it anyway while they were in there...

You need someone more experienced than I can offer. Sorry.

Good luck!
Old 03-20-2018, 09:38 PM
adh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DMF. I had bad vibration too. The flywheel appeard to be good, no excessive play or anything. But something was broken inside. I replaced it and it is all good now.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:54 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Considering the flywheel is the only thing they DIDN'T replace... it really seems to be the culprit with the symptoms you describe.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:22 AM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cds72911
You took it to a shop, they replaced a crap ton of stuff, and didn't fix the issue. How is that okay? Aren't they the professionals? If they can't figure it out in the shop, I'm not sure there is much more people can do from afar over the internet.

I have the Function First motor mounts and a Rennline street performance transmission mount in my 2000 and it doesn't have any unusual noise, vibration or harshness. I doubt that is the issue. I'm not sure how you could install motor mounts wrong, but I suppose anything is possible if you try hard enough.

The source sure sounds like an issue with something that is rotational on the motor and transmission assembly. I'd rule out all of the driveshaft and rotating assemblies outboard (since you aren't driving and still get vibration) including wheels brakes, wheel bearings, etc..

Other than the DMF, I don't have ideas for you. For the couple of hundred bucks the DMFs cost, I would have had them replace it anyway while they were in there...

You need someone more experienced than I can offer. Sorry.

Good luck!
You're right. I called them yesterday and they told me to bring it in. Hopefully they cooperate and figure this out on their dime. I've paid them enough.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:28 AM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adh
DMF. I had bad vibration too. The flywheel appeard to be good, no excessive play or anything. But something was broken inside. I replaced it and it is all good now.
Was it figured out there was something broken inside before the car was put back together? I would've told them to just replace it but he called me and said it was good and he recommended not paying the $1000 to replace it.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:36 AM
joshb217
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
Considering the flywheel is the only thing they DIDN'T replace... it really seems to be the culprit with the symptoms you describe.
True. I keep wondering if it could even be in the engine or the harmonic balancer or something. I don't know these engines as much as i'd like to. I need to get it back to the shop in the next couple days and hopefully if they conclude again it's the flywheel they take full responsibility for their screw up willingly.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:34 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by joshb217
True. I keep wondering if it could even be in the engine or the harmonic balancer or something. I don't know these engines as much as i'd like to. I need to get it back to the shop in the next couple days and hopefully if they conclude again it's the flywheel they take full responsibility for their screw up willingly.
Good luck with this^^^ If they're interested in "doing the right thing", they'll (offer to) replace the flywheel for the cost of the parts only - they may even let you buy the flywheel and give it to them to install (in other words, give you the part at your actual cost -not their inflated "cost" or cost + markup). The potential downside to this scenario is that they do a "rush job" and actually damage something else without telling you. Bad situation all around... I hope it works out well for you.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:55 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Was it figured out there was something broken inside before the car was put back together? I would've told them to just replace it but he called me and said it was good and he recommended not paying the $1000 to replace it.
A flywheel with new bolts is less than $600 (I think I paid in mid $400's but am questioning my memory). Luk, original equipment manufacturer.

Labor wise, they were almost there when they replaced the pressure plate.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:18 PM
adh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced it myself. It was the only logical conclussion I could come up with. I only paid 400 for a new one.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:04 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by adh
I replaced it myself. It was the only logical conclussion I could come up with. I only paid 400 for a new one.
Zombie bump.

What else, if anything, did you replace in addition to the DMF? I suspect mine is nearing the end of its life but the clutch is only 3 years old (15,000 miles). I'd like to not have to replace the clutch again if I don't have to. I'll be doing the work myself so being "in there for the cost of labor" isn't an issue as it pertains to other parts.

Quick Reply: Lots of vibration in pedals and cabin - Please guess and suggest.