Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   996 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum-60/)
-   -   Swapping out frosted projector lens for clear lens (https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/1030130-swapping-out-frosted-projector-lens-for-clear-lens.html)

_b3nc3_ 10-18-2017 10:56 AM

Swapping out frosted projector lens for clear lens

I noticed while changing out the bulbs on my 2000 996 that the projectors for the low beam use either a fresnel or frosted lens.

Has anyone gone about swapping this lens out for a clear lens

Does anyone know the diameter and height of the lens in the factory Litronic projector?

I've previously done the same frosted/fresnel to clear lens swap on other vehicles I've owned and definitely much prefer the look of the clean, crisp cut, and increased output it gives.

I attempted to do a search but I can never seem to find anything I am looking for with the search function.

ZuffenZeus 10-18-2017 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by _b3nc3_ (Post 14543094)
I noticed while changing out the bulbs on my 2000 996 that the projectors for the low beam use either a fresnel or frosted lens.

Has anyone gone about swapping this lens out for a clear lens

Does anyone know the diameter and height of the lens in the factory Litronic projector?

I've previously done the same frosted/fresnel to clear lens swap on other vehicles I've owned and definitely much prefer the look of the clean, crisp cut, and increased output it gives.

I attempted to do a search but I can never seem to find anything I am looking for with the search function.

Hi OP,

I've never seen fresnel type glass used on a Porsche much less a 996. I use fresnel type spot lights in the television studio business, but I've never seen such a lens used on a modern car. Could you post a picture? :confused:

Many people have swapped out the base "halogen" type headlight enclosures with polyellipsoidal based headlight enclosures. Most of the trouble comes with the litronic systems that have auto balancing and powering issues surrounding Xenon ballasts. But Porsche makes a non-litronic protector style enclosure that many have used to avoid headaches with Litronics systems. :thumbup:

strathconaman 10-18-2017 01:17 PM

My research shows that the stock projector is a Hella E55 with a 3 inch lens.

_b3nc3_ 10-18-2017 01:29 PM

Thank you much. I appreciate the answer.

_b3nc3_ 10-18-2017 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by b3freak (Post 14543249)
Hi OP,

I've never seen fresnel type glass used on a Porsche much less a 996. I use fresnel type spot lights in the television studio business, but I've never seen such a lens used on a modern car. Could you post a picture? :confused:

Many people have swapped out the base "halogen" type headlight enclosures with polyellipsoidal based headlight enclosures. Most of the trouble comes with the litronic systems that have auto balancing and powering issues surrounding Xenon ballasts. But Porsche makes a non-litronic protector style enclosure that many have used to avoid headaches with Litronics systems. :thumbup:

Frensel and "frosted" type lenses are used extensively in the auto industry for projector lenses. As far as I am aware reasoning for this is due to cutting back on the amount of glare and refracted/reflected light projected towards oncoming drivers above the designed cut off of the projector.

ZuffenZeus 10-18-2017 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by _b3nc3_ (Post 14543488)
Frensel and "frosted" type lenses are used extensively in the auto industry for projector lenses.

Wow, I learn something every day. I didn't know the auto industry had much use for such older lens technology like the Fresnel design especially with it's short focal length capabilities. But it makes sense if glare is an issue to oncoming traffic with other projector designs.

Originally Posted by _b3nc3_ (Post 14543488)
As far as I am aware reasoning for this is due to cutting back on the amount of glare and refracted/reflected light projected towards oncoming drivers above the designed cut off of the projector.

For us in the studio business, it's all about light collimation. The fresnel lens is also lighter weight since the lens thickness is a fraction of normal convex type lenses. Weight and size of a lighting instrument plays an important part in our business.

strathconaman 10-18-2017 03:06 PM

If you figure out how to do a swap without ripping the lights apart...let me know.

Myren 10-19-2017 01:59 AM

Yea this what everyone is afraid of doing. I would too if it was easier.

MoeMonney 10-19-2017 02:17 AM

Or you could just replace and update it with this, plug and play lens upgrade for the 996:

https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/hella...jectors-1.html

$139 for the pair on amazon.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3b068671cc.jpg

Myren 10-19-2017 02:44 AM

How much

TonyTwoBags 10-19-2017 10:56 AM

dollars for the new projectors?

Myren 10-19-2017 10:59 AM

Oh sorry it says $139 right above the picture

RngTrtl 10-19-2017 11:31 AM

Are you talking about the projectors for the litronic (xenon) headlights?

_b3nc3_ 10-19-2017 02:59 PM

Yeah the Litronic headlights.

Im going to take off the headlights again this weekend and see how difficult this may or may not be.

strathconaman 05-14-2020 05:17 PM

Watch this:

So I tried this between calls today, and yes, you can pull out the projectors out the back of the headlight. It isn't "easy" but it can be done.