Old 10-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 619 Likes on 395 Posts
Default Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel

Calling Porsche Track Enthusiasts!

Eric from APEX Race Parts here. (Don’t worry, I’m not just another internet sales guy - I’m actually leading APEX’s Porsche wheel development.)

For those of you who know us from our roots in the BMW world, you know that we develop our performance wheels based on real world experiences and feedback from go-fast enthusiasts. (You!) We’ve been flooded with requests to develop some Porsche-specific wheels and now we have the team in place to make it happen! We’ve got a few fitment ideas in mind, but we really want to pick your brain before we pull the trigger. Got a few minutes to help us out?

[Give us your 2 cents]

Once we get a better understanding of your deepest wishes and desires for an affordable (yet race-proven) set of shoes for your car, we’ll put our creative and engineerings minds to work to develop a lineup of APEX wheels that makes sense whether you’re in the market for street or track-worthy wheels.

So, who am I? Well, many things, but the important thing is that I’ve been neck-deep in the performance driving world for years - HDPE’ing and Time Trialing my Porsche around the Northern California tracks every opportunity that I get. If you’re like me and have spent time in the paddock, you’ve surely seen the majority of BMWs on a set of APEX wheels. Over the past 10 years, it was obvious that APEX dedicated themselves to fill voids and ease pains the BMW enthusiasts felt in regards to wheel quality, affordability, and availability. By enlisting fellow enthusiasts in the decision making process, APEX incorporated forum members into product development and connected with their community in a way that no one else in the motorsports world had. Hungry to implement that in other track oriented markets, I proposed the idea of a Porsche department to APEX, and voila! That’s why I’m reaching out to you now.

Now that we’re all gearing up for the off-season builds, repairs, and modifications, I speak for the whole team when I say that we’re ecstatic to get the wheels rolling (pun intended) on developing off-the-shelf, race engineered, lightweight fitments that are perfect for your beloved Porsche.

The best way to help would be to tell us a bit more about what you’d look for and expect in a set of track proven, dependable, and affordable wheels. When you grab your next cup of coffee, could you take a minute to share your thoughts with us?

[Take our Porsche Wheel Survey]

Please stay tuned and we will surely keep you updated as our Porsche division progresses!

Happy tracking,
Eric

11/28 UDPATE:
Huge thank you to Rob (993GT), who kindly provided us with perfect pictures of his perfect 996 GT2.

The front wheels are our profile 1 (least concave) whereas the rears are profile 3 (most concave). Please feel free to reach out with any questions regarding our profiles, finishes, etc. Enjoy!

Satin black -

Anthracite -

Race silver -

Website - Blog - Instagram - Porsche Fitment Guides

Last edited by Apex Wheels; 11-28-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:03 PM
todcp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric
Had your wheels on my former 14 Mustang GT; track prepped. Very nice wheels and an excellent value.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:49 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by todcp
Eric
Had your wheels on my former 14 Mustang GT; track prepped. Very nice wheels and an excellent value.
Thank you for your support and sharing your experience! I'm thrilled that you were happy with your former APEX wheels - I'm determined to provide the same quality product for the Porsche market.

Cheers!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We're still urging enthusiasts to take the survey as the results are a direct reflection of what product is brought to the community.

All of the 350+ survey participants have been an enormous help - Thank you to all who took their time to complete our survey!
Old 10-23-2017, 02:42 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Survey is still live. Intertwining enthusiasts into product development is forefront in our agenda, so your feedback is valuable.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:50 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Slow news day here, but have a question for the community.

If given the option, would you be willing to add .25lbs to the weight of each wheel for center cap accommodation? The center cone would need to be enlarged to accept an APEX or Porsche cap, thus, minimally increasing weight. Both options will still be hub-centric, so it is purely aesthetic preference.

Option 1: No center cap, .25lbs lighter
Option 2: Ability to run center cap, but .25 lbs heavier

You can mull over the pictures below and please let me know your thoughts.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:25 PM
todcp
Instructor

I would vote for the center cap. I would want the caps for street use. Of no use on the track but .25 at the center of the wheel is not very critical so go for cap capable
Old 10-28-2017, 08:18 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmm, and I was just about to order wheels from another manufacturer. Perhaps I should wait a bit. But how soon will your wheels be available? And now that you've received lots of survey results, how likely is it you will offer wheels in the standard 996 18" sizes? (And how likely that you would also or instead offer wider 18s for 996s?)

P.S. If you offer lightweight 17s in wider widths than the narrow stock 17s, you'll have the market almost all to yourselves - I know, having searched for something like that.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2017, 02:09 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by todcp
I would vote for the center cap. I would want the caps for street use. Of no use on the track but .25 at the center of the wheel is not very critical so go for cap capable
Noted! Great info - thank you for sharing!

Originally Posted by rs10
Hmm, and I was just about to order wheels from another manufacturer. Perhaps I should wait a bit. But how soon will your wheels be available? And now that you've received lots of survey results, how likely is it you will offer wheels in the standard 996 18" sizes? (And how likely that you would also or instead offer wider 18s for 996s?)

P.S. If you offer lightweight 17s in wider widths than the narrow stock 17s, you'll have the market almost all to yourselves - I know, having searched for something like that.

Thanks!
Thanks for your inquiry! An 18" diameter wheel in 8.5"/9" F and 10-12" R widths in various offsets will likely be of the first few fitments offered in our initial production run(s). In short, that sizing looks very promising.

Regarding that 17" application, that is something we certainly seek to develop at a later date - Timing TBD! Seems like that diameter is in demand from spec 986 and some 996 drivers alike.

I expect to have our pre-orders set up and a group buy live by late 2017/early 2018. Wheels will likely be in enthusiast's hands by late Q1 2018; ideally before the start of the track season.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:35 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

As our Porsche wheel development is chugging along at a fast pace, please note that the survey is still up and running. If you haven't already, please take 5 minutes to share your preferences!
Old 11-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Micaceli
Track Day

I voted. Would love some SCCA A Street Class wheels for a 996 narrow body.

Hubcaps are always great, dont like the hubs exposed.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:18 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Micaceli
I voted. Would love some SCCA A Street Class wheels for a 996 narrow body.

Hubcaps are always great, dont like the hubs exposed.
Thank you for sharing your preferences! Correct me if I'm wrong, but that class calls for offsets -/+ 7mm in/out from stock and -/+ 1" in width from the largest stock wheel offered, right? I'll consult the SCCA rule book before we finalize our fitments for the first few production runs.

How many Porsches run in that class in your region? Please share some pictures of yours, too!
Old 11-08-2017, 12:56 PM
Micaceli
Track Day

Originally Posted by APEXRaceParts
Thank you for sharing your preferences! Correct me if I'm wrong, but that class calls for offsets -/+ 7mm in/out from stock and -/+ 1" in width from the largest stock wheel offered, right? I'll consult the SCCA rule book before we finalize our fitments for the first few production runs.

How many Porsches run in that class in your region? Please share some pictures of yours, too!
-/+ 7mm and -/+ 1" in rolling diameter. So if the car came with a 19x8.5 wheel you could put on a 18x8.5 wheel on it and its legal. I wish it was width it would open up so many more tire widths to us. Unless this changed.

There are around 3 996's in my region but I know there are a bunch Nationally that want their cars to be a bit more competitive. I also run with PCA locally, we just had a kid so we have been less parking lot crazy.

Here is my heavy piggie, its a 2000 C4, 225's in the front is just not enough tire and with two drivers (my wife drives with me). I want 255's but I think 245's are all I will be able to fit on a 8 wide wheel.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Apex Wheels
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Micaceli
-/+ 7mm and -/+ 1" in rolling diameter. So if the car came with a 19x8.5 wheel you could put on a 18x8.5 wheel on it and its legal. I wish it was width it would open up so many more tire widths to us. Unless this changed.

There are around 3 996's in my region but I know there are a bunch Nationally that want their cars to be a bit more competitive. I also run with PCA locally, we just had a kid so we have been less parking lot crazy.

Here is my heavy piggie, its a 2000 C4, 225's in the front is just not enough tire and with two drivers (my wife drives with me). I want 255's but I think 245's are all I will be able to fit on a 8 wide wheel.

Fantastic info, thank you for sharing.

Did you install a deep sump pan for auto-X? When setting up my old 996 C4S for DEs, I installed the FVD oil pan to increase oil capacity and mimic the X51 baffling design ensuring that I wouldn't suffer from oil starvation - you could say the internet hysteria got the best of me.

Your 996 looks amazing. Specifically what wheel specifications would you ideally run? Your current wheel finish reminds me of our matte bronze finish we introduced to BMW. Provided there's enough support in the (distant) future, I'll work to implement it into Porsche, too.

Old 11-08-2017, 02:39 PM
Micaceli
Track Day

I might do the baffle setup for piece of mind as that still might be legal but not the deep sump. I am even on the stock IMS bearing, I'ma rebel

Bronze or Gold....yes please As you can see I like contrasting wheels that pop a bit. Those are stock 2 piece BBS with Subi gold centers.

So Ideally I think as far as wheel specs, The stocks are think are:

8 x 18 50MM
10 x 18 65MM

so -/+7 mm offset would work on those, Spacers are no problem and are easy to use of these cars ( no stud replacement)

Quick Reply: Help APEX Create a Better Porsche Track Wheel