Sponsored by:

Where to go now with my IMS

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 12:50 PM
muranomike
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to go now with my IMS

So I have a 2002 C4 with 90k kilometers on it (55k miles).

In early 2013 (with 70k kilometers - 45k miles) I needed a new clutch - so had the following done: clutch, flywheel, air oil separator, water pump, and an LN IMS classic retrofit (single row).

So I'm now 4.5 yrs later and it appears the recommendation is that at 4 yrs/50k miles I replace the LN IMS bearing or upgrade to 'the solution'.

However with so few miles (3k miles per year), it would take me another decade to reach the 50k miles mark.

Should I be worried, or am I in at least as good position if I had the original OEM IMS bearing and had never changed it??

Mike
Old 10-04-2017, 12:54 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Great question, I'm the new owner of a C4s with the original IMSB. Bought the car knowing I would need to do a clutch soon after and plan to replace the RMS and IMSB at the same time. I will likely drive it more than you but not much. So do I change the IMSB every 5yr regardless of mileage? I'm hesitant to go with the total solution based on lack of installers in my area. Can't wait to hear thoughts on this from folks in the know.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:32 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would imagine the solution and the plain bearing have a similar install process....so if you're doubting your mechanics skills to do the solution right, I'd have the same concerns with the plain bearing.

I wish I did the solution. I did the bearing from LNE and even then I am paranoid that it will go anytime.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:01 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you mean by"plain bearing"? The IMS Solution is a plain, or journal bearing. Is there another plain bearing replacement available?
Old 10-04-2017, 02:13 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

LNE has a couple different fixes

https://lnengineering.com/index.php/products/ims-bearing-retrofit-kits-for-porsche-m96-97-engines.html

when I say the "plain bearing" I mean the cheaper fix to the IMS issues and not The Solution that includes the hose, oil filter & adapter.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:29 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
I would imagine the solution and the plain bearing have a similar install process....so if you're doubting your mechanics skills to do the solution right, I'd have the same concerns with the plain bearing.

I wish I did the solution. I did the bearing from LNE and even then I am paranoid that it will go anytime.
AWD
I wish I had done the solution as well. I was not aware it included the LN oil filter adapter.
In addition I had a local indy do the install of a Single Row Pro, and he never sent the warranty information back to LN. It needed to be sent in within 10 days of install. %$#$%#%%%
So I have spent the money for an upgrade with 6yr/75k warranty that I cannot make a claim against in the event of a boom.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:03 PM
todcp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My LN Pro was completed prior to sale at my request; by my dealer; via an Porsche Indy he respected and trusted that has done this job many times. The LN replacements are not guaranteed unless done by an LN approved shop. So mine is not guaranteed.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:13 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"I wish I had done the solution as well. I was not aware it included the LN oil filter adapter."

"The Solution" package does include a "spin on filter adapter". This is not the same as the regular "spin on filter adapter" though as it includes the feed for the plain bearing (that rides on a film of oil). The feed is derived from the "clean side" of the filter so the bearing gets freshly filtered oil.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:30 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
AWD
I wish I had done the solution as well. I was not aware it included the LN oil filter adapter.
In addition I had a local indy do the install of a Single Row Pro, and he never sent the warranty information back to LN. It needed to be sent in within 10 days of install. %$#$%#%%%
So I have spent the money for an upgrade with 6yr/75k warranty that I cannot make a claim against in the event of a boom.
isn't the warranty that they give you the money back for the bearing?
Old 10-04-2017, 03:33 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Edit
Old 10-04-2017, 03:36 PM
muranomike
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for input.

When I did the original LN IMS bearing in 2013 this was the only available fix for the problem. There was no pro double bearing nor "the solution".

But now I have a car with a retrofit bearing outside the period that LN engineering claims the bearing is designed for. The OEM bearing of course had no serviceable timeframe (although I guess it probably should have).

I feel like the whole reason I originally changed it was for 'peace of mind', and now I'm feeling angst about it again!!

So again I ask, am I in a safer position with 4.5 yr old LN IMS bearing ? Does anyone have any idea what my risk is ? Am I back to an 8-10% risk I had with the original OEM bearing.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:44 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
"I wish I had done the solution as well. I was not aware it included the LN oil filter adapter."

"The Solution" package does include a "spin on filter adapter". This is not the same as the regular "spin on filter adapter" though as it includes the feed for the plain bearing (that rides on a film of oil). The feed is derived from the "clean side" of the filter so the bearing gets freshly filtered oil.
I see that now in the photos. In either case it would have put more $ weight on the decision side to go with the solution, which I think was $1000 more than Single Row Pro.
just been kicking myself after the work was done, hine sight is a PIA
Old 10-04-2017, 03:50 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by muranomike
Thanks for input.

When I did the original LN IMS bearing in 2013 this was the only available fix for the problem. There was no pro double bearing nor "the solution".

But now I have a car with a retrofit bearing outside the period that LN engineering claims the bearing is designed for. The OEM bearing of course had no serviceable timeframe (although I guess it probably should have).

I feel like the whole reason I originally changed it was for 'peace of mind', and now I'm feeling angst about it again!!

So again I ask, am I in a safer position with 4.5 yr old LN IMS bearing ? Does anyone have any idea what my risk is ? Am I back to an 8-10% risk I had with the original OEM bearing.
I have 9000 miles on mine now, 2 oil changes with new magnetic drain plug and cutting filter and no signs of any debris.
Due now for oil change, I just received my first oil sample kit to use from Blackstone.

I would suggest frequent oil changes and send oil for analysis each time, that is what my plan is
Old 10-04-2017, 04:05 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I would just bite the bullet and install the "Solution" it will hurt a lot less at first then the other (low percentage) option. Plus, if you ever sell it, it should hold it's value with a buyer.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:06 PM
sixfiveoh
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

In a very similar situation. Purchased my 03 C4S about a month ago with the IMS Retrofit done at 78k in 2013. The car just hit 100k, so I'm about 20k into the bearing, but 4 years in (the recommended lifespan of the retrofit). A little concerned, but should I be? Worth going out an doing the solution for peace of mind shortly down the road?

Admittedly, when I bought the car, I thought LN IMS Retrofit = Peace of mind forever

Quick Reply: Where to go now with my IMS